What's new

Meet the new Walter I got..

You’re probably right , he claims it has 100% traction so the rest of us are left with none

I just wanted him to tell us about the options.

Hydromaster-- you'll have to try harder.

28,000 - 29,500ft-lbs of tractive force is what I calculate the truck produces which can be applied to any one one of the four wheels that grip in any combination-- which is why the Walter Solgan was 100% Traction 4 Point Positive Drive. all they meant by it was that all the tractive effort was focused on the wheels that grip instead of wasting power and torque on the wheels that slip.

It's a system that is all based on the fact that worm wheels cannot turn worm gears -- just like the Torsen Differential. I'm not certain why Walter never sued Torsen for patent infringement since they are basically the same design. Perhaps, a Torsen has some slight different that gets around that infringement but it is a great system. So instead of having a transfer case the original Walters used front-transaxle with two differentials and then torque tube to a rear differential. Later when they adopted other transmissions like fullers and Allisons they used regular cardan shafts and a single speed transfer case with a differential in it to achieve the same effect.

It's a pretty cool system when it is working properly actual.

Attachments

• Untitled 3.jpg
    Untitled 3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Juluis I .pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
I have never seen anything like that, I thought it was a fake pic when I saw your avatar at first.

What part of the country do you live in?

Is that a hobby of yours or you using them for work?

This is some shit I know absolutely nothing about.

I use them as a hobby-- Pirate Plower when I'm bored.

So, Walter trucks use ridged dead axles with swinging half-shafts from a differential mounted in-between the frame out of mess-- this is one such half axle that I believe is from a FCBS or FGBS the seller wasn't sure. the boot conceals the CV join. And the Pinion gear is what engages with the ring gear in the hub to complete the reduction.

Attachments

• tempImage5yOlIj.png
    tempImage5yOlIj.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • tempImageNhESdm.png
    tempImageNhESdm.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
  • Image 1-30-23 at 12.13 PM.jpeg
    Image 1-30-23 at 12.13 PM.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 26
Seeing Torsens work on Humvees...I was never impressed. Seemed to work a lot like gov-lok in practice....lots of slipping before finally engaging.

These lock up quickly and can really throw you a bit. And they really do proportion the torque to the wheel that grips. You can literally jack up three wheels and the damn thing will move on wheel like you have air lockers

There is a part of me that wants to put a 12V71TT into a N cab Walter-- The buzzin' dozen I think is the only way to be a Snow Pimp.

Attachments

• Image 9-24-23 at 6.53 PM.jpeg
    Image 9-24-23 at 6.53 PM.jpeg
    732.7 KB · Views: 23
There is a part of me that wants to put a 12V71TT into a N cab Walter-- The buzzin' dozen I think is the only way to be a Snow Pimp.

If you don't mind the back breaking ride of an old ass (but cool) plow truck, does going deaf at the same time really matter? :lmao

If you don't mind the back breaking ride of an old ass (but cool) plow truck, does going deaf at the same time really matter? :lmao

That is positive selling point to me. the extra deafness. And the truck rides fine remember it only does 30mph tops.

These lock up quickly and can really throw you a bit. And they really do proportion the torque to the wheel that grips. You can literally jack up three wheels and the damn thing will move on wheel like you have air lockers
That was my biggest complaint on the Hummers....slow to actually engage (and they seemed to unlock too easily as well...unlocking before you completed a section of trail). But...H1s aren't really 'trail rigs' for the most part anyway, so I guess that's not really a fair comparison to more nimble rigs with faster acting lockers.

Glad to hear yours works quickly and sounds like it's perfect for what you're doing. :beer:

I think the question is this-- what looks meaner when you're plowing a driving like this? The Jeep or the Walter?

I think the Walter is the vehicle of choice.

Attachments

• IMG_2549.jpeg
    IMG_2549.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • Image 2-18-24 at 7.52 AM.jpeg
    Image 2-18-24 at 7.52 AM.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 25
I need to get the storage guy on the phone and move this to there so I have more room on my lot.

Attachments

• IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 27
Top Back Refresh