What's new

Maine Bound!

In the meantime you should do what he said unless you wanna pay the stupid tax.
Yeah for sure. Doubt I’ll have time to get the lean to done this year. That’s a good 4 day or so project and materials prices are still stupid right now. Haven’t checked price on the tin roof stuff but I’m sure it’s up there right now.

come to think of it, I haven’t even seen pier footings at the Home Depot here.

Yeah for sure. Doubt I’ll have time to get the lean to done this year. That’s a good 4 day or so project and materials prices are still stupid right now. Haven’t checked price on the tin roof stuff but I’m sure it’s up there right now.

Our local Home Depot has 8' X 25.75" Corrugated Galvanized Steel 31-Gauge Roof Panel for $16.98.

I don't know what brand/model OWB the OP has but I've seen people use more wood than they need to. It will take some learning but once you figure out how much you "need" between fillings and don't put any more than that in. I have mine on a 12hr diet, 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, as the weather gets colder I add a chunk or two then taper it back once temps stabilize or moderate.
I have a Heatmore stainless mode.
Also it takes 30 percent of the woods energy to steam off the water so the drier the better to a point hence the word "seasoned".

Also it takes 30 percent of the woods energy to steam off the water so the drier the better to a point hence the word "seasoned".
got an indoor wood stove, the kind you put inline with your forced air ducts, been thinking about running the heat discharge through a wood hutch before the house
get the wood drier and the house a little less dry

I've only ever seen the 4' tapered piers at HD/Lowes. Check you local lumber yard, they should have some of the 5' ones with the bigger footer on them. If not the local concrete places should have them (which is where the box stores get them anyway) Not sure what's out towards Ellsworth, but American Concrete in Bangor/Veazie would have them.

I've only ever seen the 4' tapered piers at HD/Lowes. Check you local lumber yard, they should have some of the 5' ones with the bigger footer on them. If not the local concrete places should have them (which is where the box stores get them anyway) Not sure what's out towards Ellsworth, but American Concrete in Bangor/Veazie would have them.
Yeah I’ll have to swing by Hammond and see if they have any. I was out eyeballing it a bit today. I actually don’t think it would be super difficult or time consuming to knock out what I have in mind and have a nice solid roof over the RV (most of it anyway) for the winter.

So the boy and I did what I am pretty sure will be the last lawn mow of the year this morning. Noticed the grass isn’t growing as fast as it was since the weather has started getting colder. Also read it’s good to give it one last mow to mulch down the clippings and leaves to break down and feed it over winter.

so with that said, after we finished mowing I went ahead and gave it a good cleaning to get all the dirt and debris off of it to prep it for it’s winter nap. Basically planning to top off the fuel tank, pour on some stabil fuel stabilizer (I bought a case) I have it plugged in to a battery tender and it had a cover on it. Is there anything else I should do to winterize It? I’ve read oil change is optional now or do it before the first mow in spring.

So the boy and I did what I am pretty sure will be the last lawn mow of the year this morning. Noticed the grass isn’t growing as fast as it was since the weather has started getting colder. Also read it’s good to give it one last mow to mulch down the clippings and leaves to break down and feed it over winter.

so with that said, after we finished mowing I went ahead and gave it a good cleaning to get all the dirt and debris off of it to prep it for it’s winter nap. Basically planning to top off the fuel tank, pour on some stabil fuel stabilizer (I bought a case) I have it plugged in to a battery tender and it had a cover on it. Is there anything else I should do to winterize It? I’ve read oil change is optional now or do it before the first mow in spring.
I never use stabil, I back it into the shed, throw a tender on the battery and dont look at it till the snow is gone. I throw a JD maintenance kit at it every spring. (oil/filter, air filter, plugs and fuel filter)

Stabil will work as long as it is going to stay in one place and not get moved. My strategy has been to run things out of fuel completely and then restart them on non-ethanol fuel before storing them. Stabil creates an O2 barrier on the top of the tank, so if that is disturbed I'm not sure its the best solution.

This may sound like a dumb point, but if you have anything in the yard/unheated space that has water in it like pressure washers or motors that have straight water for coolant, now is the time to start thinking about fixing that. Overnight 31 degree weather wont crack a block, but actual winter will be here soon, and I've made that mistake before. And I have a 580E and a CJ5 in the yard with water in them...

I've never had an issue with lawnmowers or snow blowers gumming up over just one season of storage. Shit that doesn't get used for multiple years is what needs stabilizer.

Stabil will work as long as it is going to stay in one place and not get moved. My strategy has been to run things out of fuel completely and then restart them on non-ethanol fuel before storing them. Stabil creates an O2 barrier on the top of the tank, so if that is disturbed I'm not sure its the best solution.

This may sound like a dumb point, but if you have anything in the yard/unheated space that has water in it like pressure washers or motors that have straight water for coolant, now is the time to start thinking about fixing that. Overnight 31 degree weather wont crack a block, but actual winter will be here soon, and I've made that mistake before. And I have a 580E and a CJ5 in the yard with water in them...
Yeah I’m already working on that stuff. Added antifreeze to the wife’s GC the other day. Went and drained the water from the RV today and pulled a few bottles we had left in it out so they don’t freeze and burst. Need to check and see what’s in the quad, tractor, and I guess the mowers radiator too. Also need to swap the washer fluid out in the tractor with winter stuff too. I have a case of 6 jugs of winter washer fluid coming. Should probably go grab another coup,e jugs of straight antifreeze too when I run to town tommorow to see if I can find me 4 pier footings.

ive been chipping away at the overall winter preparations for the past month. This cold spell the last few days is lighting the fire to get it finished up quickly though. I know we aren’t far from seeing the white stuff fly.

I would get 5 footers if you can, or toss some blueboard around the 4 footers. We have been known to get more than 4' of frost, although its not common. Out my direction, a few winters ago towns were dealing with frozen mains at 5' under plowed roads.

Grab a coolant tester if you're not doing a complete drain and refill with 50/50. Good to have anyway, they're only a couple bucks.

No pics today but got a fair bit accomplished. Went to Wally World for some odds and ends we needed round the house. Got home and put the bins we bought to use right away in the mud room. Wanted some to fit the top compartments in the storage cubbies I built way back when so we could start rotating out summer/fall gear for winter stuff. The baskets up top now are perfect for this. So I spent some time putting the rain gear and light jackets and such up top and moving the heavy winter coats and such to the hooks in easy reach. I have some cool wire mesh wall mount Baskets coming tomorrow from Amazon that we will be using for everyone’s winter hats and gloves and such.

also kicking around the idea of moving the extra dryer up from the basement utility room and installing it in the mud room. Was thinking it would be great to just come in and be able to toss all the cold wet clothes right in the dryer. Just not sure where I would put it so it doesn’t look weird or take up a bunch of space.

after that I went and tested the coolant in all the vehicles and added more straight antifreeze where necessary. Then I decided it was high time I get the garage heater wired up. So I spent an hour or so running wire to the new sub panel I installed last week, running thermostat wire and installing another ecobee3 in the garage, routed and set up the exhaust port, and routed and set up the propane line from the heater out to the tank. Need to call Dead River to get another piglet tank delivered and i stalled and have them plumb the new heater into the system at the tanks. Hopefully do that in the morning.

walked around the house looking for cracks and gaps and filled any I saw with great stuff. Need to get a chunk of foam board insulation to stuff in the two dog doors as we arent currently using them and I’m sure they are letting cold air right on thru.

then before it got dark I broke out the archery target, my new recurve bow and the new youth bow I bought for my daughter. Made a vain attempt to teach her to shoot the thing. She sorta kinda got it, but after four tries she lost interest and her and her brother hopped in the power wheels Jeep and drove around. I kept shooting a few and the wife took a few shots. I’m SUPER rusty. Haven’t shot a bow in a good 20 years and it shows. Next time I’m not gonna set the target block up on front of the stone wall. Broke two arrows shooting too high when they struck the boulders.:laughing:

Few pics for an update. The wire baskets I ordered came in and I got them mounted up in the mud room yesterday. As with the cubbies, each person mostly has a basket. My daughter got two as she has a lot of winter hats for some reason. I also took two as my gloves are big and take a bunch of space. Think I’m going to get one more to put above these two just for some extra small stuff storage space.
A7B5942E-5B8B-4C2A-BD4A-BEB9E385BD9A.jpeg
523EE45A-23EC-4C03-9056-A2488A630106.jpeg

and this case of winter washer fluid got delivered yesterday. I’ve started ordering cases of stuff like this to get a good supply of necessities built up in the garage. Being rural now I like the idea of having essentials stocked up and on hand.
F417C9EA-D86B-460A-BB1E-F329DACF492C.jpeg

make sure you drain your shit out completely before you put in actual winter fluid
that is if you've got the soapy water stuff and not the alcohol stuff in it already

pumps like to break when they freeze solid

Few pics for an update. The wire baskets I ordered came in and I got them mounted up in the mud room yesterday. As with the cubbies, each person mostly has a basket. My daughter got two as she has a lot of winter hats for some reason. I also took two as my gloves are big and take a bunch of space. Think I’m going to get one more to put above these two just for some extra small stuff storage space.
A7B5942E-5B8B-4C2A-BD4A-BEB9E385BD9A.jpeg
523EE45A-23EC-4C03-9056-A2488A630106.jpeg

and this case of winter washer fluid got delivered yesterday. I’ve started ordering cases of stuff like this to get a good supply of necessities built up in the garage. Being rural now I like the idea of having essentials stocked up and on hand.
F417C9EA-D86B-460A-BB1E-F329DACF492C.jpeg
I got some de-icer washer fluid for my car the other day. The idiots in California outlawed the stuff and Ramona routinely got down to 20* over night in the winter and the washers were useles as they were frozen solid. :mad3:

I got some de-icer washer fluid for my car the other day. The idiots in California outlawed the stuff and Ramona routinely got down to 20* over night in the winter and the washers were useles as they were frozen solid. :mad3:
by the paint thinner they sell denatured alcohol
it's mostly ethanol, so look up the (old 1920s) antifreeze chart for that and mix it with your shitty fluid to suit whatever temperature you expect to encounter

by the paint thinner they sell denatured alcohol
it's mostly ethanol, so look up the (old 1920s) antifreeze chart for that and mix it with your shitty fluid to suit whatever temperature you expect to encounter
I don't need to now since we moved to Idaho. Just one more reason to leave California. They have 1000's of insane laws like that.

I don't need to now since we moved to Idaho. Just one more reason to leave California. They have 1000's of insane laws like that.
Oh yeah. Shopping for stuff here is quite the contrast. Home Depot here all the spray paints are just sitting out in the open on the shelf instead of locked up in a cage where you have to go track down an employee to unlock for you so you can buy it. MEK and other strong chemicals banned in the PRK right there on the shelf, it’s fantastic.

Oh yeah. Shopping for stuff here is quite the contrast. Home Depot here all the spray paints are just sitting out in the open on the shelf instead of locked up in a cage where you have to go track down an employee to unlock for you so you can buy it. MEK and other strong chemicals banned in the PRK right there on the shelf, it’s fantastic.
Just a couple of things we also noticed. It's tons of little things like that that add up, making it much pleasanter to live here.

Just pulled my 4th loaf of bread out of the machine. This is actually a remake of the last one I made because it was devoured and gone in a day. Used the same basic white bread recipe I used the first time, but filled the little ingredient dropper with shredded Parmesan cheese, dried basil, garlic flakes, and Italian herb mix. Kind of like a focaccia bread in a loaf form. The boy really loves it. He ate like half of the last one all by himself. Gonna make some pumpkin bread this week for the Halloween party we are throwing this coming weekend.

F8AFE984-CFA7-4BD7-A944-0BB8B4229A79.jpeg
942039C6-7457-43E0-9F0D-3329D69DC6CC.jpeg
E1CCF6D1-189C-4102-9F93-5C37384D966A.jpeg

What recipe are you using?
Been using this one as my foundation so far for the basic white bread.

for the pumpkin bread for the party I think I kind of have to use this one I found. It’s literally titled Downeast Maine pumpkin bread.

Been using this one as my foundation so far for the basic white bread.

for the pumpkin bread for the party I think I kind of have to use this one I found. It’s literally titled Downeast Maine pumpkin bread.

Any recipes for "black bread" ? I grew up in a Polish/German household and that was very common, but very difficult to find outside the midwest.

Any recipes for "black bread" ? I grew up in a Polish/German household and that was very common, but very difficult to find outside the midwest.
Not that I’ve stumbled across as of yet, but to be fair, I’ve not heard of it before now. I’m sure there are some out there though. I found these thru google. We’ve really been enjoying having fresh baked bread every few days. Gotta get some more bread flour though. Don’t have enough left for another batch.

Top Back Refresh