What's new

Maine Bound!

Maybe this will meet your guys approval. My breakfast sandwich this morning.

my fresh baked bread from last night, hash browns, Colby jack cheese, 3 fried eggs, and some nice hickory smoked ham.
205E9C0C-714E-464B-8093-8162706E4B13.jpeg

The above series of posts just reminds me of the fact that different people have widely different food tastes. None of them are right or wrong, just different. Personally I'm omnivorous, if it's edible by humans I'll probably try it. I grew up on a typical midwestern "meat & potatoes" diet, but once I visited asia while in the Navy I saw all the foods there I knew nothing about. I decided to try them and I discovered there was a whole bunch of great food I was missing out on. There's very little that I don't care for.

If you're interested in some outstanding baked goods, visit Tinder Hearth
They are really, really good. And my standards concerning bread and pizza are pretty high. I live in germany and my aunt lives in italy :eek:
Yes, it's out in the sticks - but well worth the trip. The Holbrook Island Sanctuary isn't too far, and good for a hike.
Bagaduce Lunch is already closed for this year, but you could stop there and watch the reversing falls.
When they open again next year give them a try. really good seafood and a great location.

Whenever you get down to Portland to eat, hit Gritty's and get the fish and chips. you won't regret it. I was there 3 days and got it twice :homer:

Spent some time working in the man cave today. While we were at Home Depot I picked up some paint chips. Trying to decide what color to paint the walls up here. Ceiling I’m thinking white or a light grey.

I also finally blew apart that giant Grey island thing that was taking up a metric crap ton of space, removed the materials storage rack and a few other things. Really opened up the space up here.
82B92AA4-1FEE-45E9-A292-4470F4BE5253.jpeg

I also measured length and width to get an idea how much flooring I’m gonna need. This is about 875 sq ft!

Spent some time working in the man cave today. While we were at Home Depot I picked up some paint chips. Trying to decide what color to paint the walls up here. Ceiling I’m thinking white or a light grey.

I also finally blew apart that giant Grey island thing that was taking up a metric crap ton of space, removed the materials storage rack and a few other things. Really opened up the space up here.
82B92AA4-1FEE-45E9-A292-4470F4BE5253.jpeg

I also measured length and width to get an idea how much flooring I’m gonna need. This is about 875 sq ft!
Is that space heated? If so :grinpimp::grinpimp:

Is that space heated? If so :grinpimp::grinpimp:

it will be. I got a 50k BTu propane fired heater mounted to the rafters of the garage below it. There is no insulation between the garage space below and the above pictured space. Since heat rises I would imagine the shop heater in the garage should warm this space nicely with only some flooring in between. The garage walls, upstairs walls, and the attic above this space are all insulated.

Bigger question is, is he gonna be able to afford to heat that whole shit.

That’s a big old house to keep warm.

true. But I’ve got options. Probably another mI think or so and the wood boiler will be lit and stay lit. Right now just using the oil furnace as it’s really only cold enough to kick on very late night/early morning. From what I e seen so far, the downstairs is the only one that has actually kicked and ran so far. Enough heat travels up to the second and third floor that it hasn’t been running the hot water up there at all yet.

Not a problem when you have Commiefornia funny money. :shaking:
That man cave is half the size of my house. Lol

Will be interesting to see how much it takes him to heat that. We live at about the same latitude as each other. I burn 20ish or so full cord of oak/maple wood to heat my house and 70x120 portion of a steel building.

Ah yes, jealousy rears it's ugly head. :laughing::flipoff2:

Yes. All the haters are jealous. That's definitely it. :shaking:

I would never want the kind of country estate he has though I understand why some people like that stuff. I'm more of a double wide and a junkyard with a big steel building kind of guy.

Yes. All the haters are jealous. That's definitely it. :shaking:

I would never want the kind of country estate he has though I understand why some people like that stuff. I'm more of a double wide and a junkyard with a big steel building kind of guy.
Then why make the post ? Makes no sense.

Me and my wife are aspiring to live in a house that small. When we build our retirement house it will be about that big lol.
It's a perfect size for a couple.

The basement is half finished with a small 2nd bedroom, laundry, full bath with 1.5 car garage. The upstairs is pretty much a 1 bedroom apartment with a 1/2 bath.

That man cave is half the size of my house. Lol

Will be interesting to see how much it takes him to heat that. We live at about the same latitude as each other. I burn 20ish or so full cord of oak/maple wood to heat my house and 70x120 portion of a steel building.
Yeah I didn’t realize it was that large either. But I mean, it makes sense. It’s literally the second floor of the huge 2 car garage below it. It’s about 35’ long and 25’ wide.

PO told me if I only use the wood boiler he would usually burn about 9 cords to heat the house over the course of the winter. I think I have about 5.5 cords split and stacked right now. In the wood shed I have another cord and a half probably waiting to process which I am going to work on tomorrow. Still plenty of stuff they left down in the lower field to bring up and buck and split so I shouldn’t have to buy any wood for this winter provided I get the stall in the pole barn loaded up in the next few weeks. Everything I’ve done so far was here on the property and didn’t cost me a dime.

the house itself is relatively new and well insulated. I’ve added some additional improvements in this area over the last few weeks in preparation for the first winter. Also with the addition of Ecobee smart thermostats on each floor with room sensors, even the oil boiler is probably running more efficiently than it used to on the old mercury dials. Time will tell I suppose.

So having this amazing new kitchen with the gas range and all this space has really rekindled my love of cooking. And now we are so rural that delivery is no longer an option, it’s really gotten us back into it. I actually do have an associates degree in Culinary Arts from Johnson & Wales.

so last week I just had this desire to start making bread. So I ordered a bread machine which came Friday. Today I took the boy to Hannaford to grocery shop and I made sure to run down the baking aisle where I grabbed a bag of bread flour and stocked up on several different types of yeast and a sourdough kit. When we got home I decided to try a simple white bread recipe For the first one. this machine is pretty cool. All self contained and it does everything. Just add the ingredients to the pan, stick it in and choose what you want to bake.
C8F9F40A-6A97-4432-B841-73855D70FD87.jpeg

after a couple of hours I had a nice, hot, fresh loaf of bread ready to go. Popped right out of the pan and we cut the first slice and buttered it still hot out of the machine.
0F86204B-4ACE-469B-B038-E8F9ED19499D.jpeg

for a very basic white bread it was delicious. I’m looking forward to trying some other recipes. Machine even has a seed/nut/fruit dropper thing that adds the ingredients at the right time during its cycle. I’m planning to make some pumpkin bread for the Halloween party we are throwing on the 30t.
and I’ve been making some mean breakfast paninis on my griddle too. Looking forward to making one in the morning with some of my fresh baked bread.
Bought mom that same unit she tried it once bread ended up as a pile of goo in the bottom, rather than try again she packed it away and went back to doing it by hand like she has been doing for who knows how many years

Last edited:
Me and my wife are aspiring to live in a house that small. When we build our retirement house it will be about that big lol.
finish out your basement (iirc it was a walkout, right? I didn't look too close)
then when the kids move out sell the house (as in have it carted off) pour a new roof and put some dirt on top

finish out your basement (iirc it was a walkout, right? I didn't look too close)
then when the kids move out sell the house (as in have it carted off) pour a new roof and put some dirt on top
Bonus points for the low energy bills.

Lol keep those little bastards from moving back in.

Yeah I didn’t realize it was that large either. But I mean, it makes sense. It’s literally the second floor of the huge 2 car garage below it. It’s about 35’ long and 25’ wide.

PO told me if I only use the wood boiler he would usually burn about 9 cords to heat the house over the course of the winter. I think I have about 5.5 cords split and stacked right now. In the wood shed I have another cord and a half probably waiting to process which I am going to work on tomorrow. Still plenty of stuff they left down in the lower field to bring up and buck and split so I shouldn’t have to buy any wood for this winter provided I get the stall in the pole barn loaded up in the next few weeks. Everything I’ve done so far was here on the property and didn’t cost me a dime.

the house itself is relatively new and well insulated. I’ve added some additional improvements in this area over the last few weeks in preparation for the first winter. Also with the addition of Ecobee smart thermostats on each floor with room sensors, even the oil boiler is probably running more efficiently than it used to on the old mercury dials. Time will tell I suppose.

I’m sure he meant full coord not face coord 4’x4’x8’. 9 coord is almost a full pulp truck of wood.

I’m sure he meant full coord not face coord 4’x4’x8’. 9 coord is almost a full pulp truck of wood.
Does anyone actually use face cord as a measurement for anything? I've never seen it used. Everything is done by the cord or 1/<pick a number that's a power of 2>th of a cord.

Does anyone actually use face cord as a measurement for anything? I've never seen it used. Everything is done by the cord or 1/<pick a number that's a power of 2>th of a cord.
Yes some of the wood sellers around here sell by the face coord. It’s a scam.

Was just making a observation as the few pictures the op has of his wood piles they are not very big. Just want to be sure he has enough. You don’t realize how much you burn until you run out in January. My wood shed is 15’ wide 25’ long and pushed up 10’ tall. We still run out on the really cold winters.

Fancy thermostats are nice, but they don't effect the efficiency of the oil burner much, they just help it run less - Thermostats, even the fancy ones, are just on-off switches. The old mercury dials do the same thing as a modern digital one, other than whatever programable "turn it down to 65 degrees while I'm at work" features you choose to use. That being said, you should have the oil burner serviced. The usual tune up for those is a filter change, nozzle change, cleaning, and adjustment. Anybody can un screw old parts and screw in new ones, but a good boiler tech can make it run more or less efficient of a burn which comes with a reliability trade-off. Who ever delivers your heating oil should be able to service it or recommend to you somebody who does. If the PO had somebody maintain it, there should be a record sheet/sticker/card somewhere near the boiler.

Fancy thermostats are nice, but they don't effect the efficiency of the oil burner much, they just help it run less - Thermostats, even the fancy ones, are just on-off switches. The old mercury dials do the same thing as a modern digital one, other than whatever programable "turn it down to 65 degrees while I'm at work" features you choose to use. That being said, you should have the oil burner serviced. The usual tune up for those is a filter change, nozzle change, cleaning, and adjustment. Anybody can un screw old parts and screw in new ones, but a good boiler tech can make it run more or less efficient of a burn which comes with a reliability trade-off. Who ever delivers your heating oil should be able to service it or recommend to you somebody who does. If the PO had somebody maintain it, there should be a record sheet/sticker/card somewhere near the boiler.
Yep, the guy who does ours has a AFM that he uses to verify that its burning properly when he is done and its not running too rich or lean.

Aaron Z

Busy day today. Baked another loaf of bread first thing this morning while I was out working on crap.

first task of the day was the heater in the wife’s Grand Cherokee. She told me Sunday it wasn’t working and just blowing cold. Ok. So apparently the cooling system was somehow almost a gallon low on antifreeze! :eek: I’m seriously curious how the fuck the thing didn’t overheat when she drove to my daughters Girl Scout meeting. So I spent a good twenty minutes burping and filling the system again. Heat blows nice and hot now. After that I installed the winter wiper blades I bought yesterday on both her GC and my Ram and filled our washer reservoirs with winter washer fluid with de-icer.

with that out of the way I turned my attention to the tractor. I finally got around to ordering and installing a radio in the thing.
708C6D40-15C3-4B3A-9C25-B03C21976041.jpeg
1B9A9A60-8110-42C1-B971-954D562BBF2F.jpeg

I know, I know, but it’s the little things. Especially as this is soon to be my plow vehicle, I like to have tunes while I work. Oddly enough, the tractor already had the speakers installed from the factory, just not the actual Radio :shaking:

with tunes to listen to I drove on down to the back field and loaded up and hauled some more logs up to the pole barn for processing. First time below 40* today (was 38* when I woke up this morning) lit a fire under my butt to get more firewood prepped out. So I got the first full stack and an additional half stack in the stall of the pole barn split and stacked out.
2A1E4399-7F8F-44B1-AD44-F7C4C5D74772.jpeg
55B6A6D2-DE2F-4849-ADFA-C147D21A89EE.jpeg

last thing I did today was some musical vehicles. I recently realized the 4 door JK cover I use on the YJ is t actually water proof. So i decided I really don’t want it just sitting in the parking lot under the cover when the snow starts flying. Issue is how tall it is. When we first got here I tried to park it in the carport. Roll cage hit the top of the door so that was a no go. So today I measured again. I am about 7’5” from the ground to the top of the cage, so I need 7’6” or 7’7” of room.

went and measured the pole barn. Nope. 7’4” ground to the cross beam. ok. Let me measure the carport again. It’s damn close. I noticed there was a bottom trim board running below the actual header that’s a good inch thick. Only held in with about 8 nails. So o grabbed a pry bar and pulled that trim piece off and gave it a slow and careful try.
CB609C29-E872-41FC-95CE-482B1BA04667.jpeg
096B8DBC-0ACE-4CBF-89C6-8A9FD1EB0FB8.jpeg

She fits!

so now the lawnmower is comfortably parked in the pole barn under a cover. Quad is currently in the garage behind where the wife will soon park. Planning to get a cover for it and park it in the pole barn as well, though I think the wife should still be able to park on the garage with the quad where it is. Problem is I’d have to move her car to get the quad out.

Hot tip
put some fake rafters and shrink wrap on the motorhome.
Snow load and ice build up will ruin it.
I’d actually really like to add a lean to off the side of the carport to cover the RV. Thinking semi simple. Pier footings with 4x4 or 4x6 posts. 2x6 stringers from those to the carport roof and deck frame above it. 2x4s front to back to give me a framework to attach some tin roof to. Give it a decent pitch so it sheds snow. Leave the sides open

I’d actually really like to add a lean to off the side of the carport to cover the RV. Thinking semi simple. Pier footings with 4x4 or 4x6 posts. 2x6 stringers from those to the carport roof and deck frame above it. 2x4s front to back to give me a framework to attach some tin roof to. Give it a decent pitch so it sheds snow. Leave the sides open
In the meantime you should do what he said unless you wanna pay the stupid tax.

Top Back Refresh