What's new

Maine Bound!

So wifey wanted to go out for dinner. We finally gave China Hill in Ellsworth a shot. Not the best Chinese food I’ve ever had, but overall it was pretty damn good. It also gave me a bit of an epiphany. In Kommiefornia they put nasty ass avacados in and on damn near everything. Here in Maine, it’s blueberries and lobster in and on damn near everything, my seafood delight had lobster in it.
74A109A8-D345-4A24-A77A-598A94ED9291.jpeg

and they had a Lobster sushi hand roll on the menu I just had to try which was also damn good.
FC4BAD9C-9728-4A55-877D-D13B31BB7F7D.jpeg

only thing that shocked me, they wanted 50 cents for a fortune cookie. Wtf is that about? I’ve never seen a Chinese place Charge for those nasty things. Only reason I even looked is my daughter likes them and wanted one.

Next time you're in Bangor you should go to Happy China Buffet or Las Plapas Mexican restaurant. That's where I used to take my Tinder dates. :laughing:

Next time you're in Bangor you should go to Happy China Buffet or Las Plapas Mexican restaurant. That's where I used to take my Tinder dates. :laughing:
Is the buffet still around after the beer flu? I know most of the ones in Ca went belly up. Buffets and social distancing don’t mix well.

I think someone else to,d me about Las Plapas too. Obviously Mexican food is one thing we are super nervous to try here coming from San Diego. I did notice a sign for Mexican food at the Ellsworth swap meet. Saw a little old Mexican lady behind the table doing the cooking too and told the wife that’s probably the best damn Mexican we are gonna find here. Unfortunately we had eaten earlier so weren’t hungry enough to try it when we were there.

Is the buffet still around after the beer flu? I know most of the ones in Ca went belly up. Buffets and social distancing don’t mix well.

I think someone else to,d me about Las Plapas too. Obviously Mexican food is one thing we are super nervous to try here coming from San Diego. I did notice a sign for Mexican food at the Ellsworth swap meet. Saw a little old Mexican lady behind the table doing the cooking too and told the wife that’s probably the best damn Mexican we are gonna find here. Unfortunately we had eaten earlier so weren’t hungry enough to try it when we were there.
We have buffets open here in Twin Falls and there's a couple of good Mexican places in town. You'll just have try them.

I think someone else told me about Las Plapas too. Obviously Mexican food is one thing we are super nervous to try here
It's cheap mexican food but it's mexican.

If you like "fine things" you probably won't like it.

Mexican food is one thing we are super nervous to try here
Margaritas! The original location was my college stomping grounds in Orono but they have a location in Ellsworth too. The closest location to me is Mystic, CT and I go there several times a year. The salsa is my favorite.

Margaritas! The original location was my college stomping grounds in Orono but they have a location in Ellsworth too. The closest location to me is Mystic, CT and I go there several times a year. The salsa is my favorite.
Skip that chain... it's not real mexican.

It's cheap mexican food but it's mexican.

If you like "fine things" you probably won't like it.
I like fine stuff on occasion. But Im more talking cheap ass dingy taco shop with a drive thru and a $7 taco/enchilada combo with rice and beans that blows even the finest of the fine out of the water. Like I never u derstood how Taco Bell survived in SoCal. You could go to just about any dive taco shop on the corner and get way better food for the same price. We will give it a shot next time we head that way (which should be soon, like maybe even tomorow. Need to make another Sams club run)

Yeah we’ve driven by it a few times. I’ve been told they are good, and I’ve been told it’s not. One of these days we will give it a try. Slowly working our way thru the local joints and are trying hard not to eat at the same place twice u til we’ve tried them all. Exceptions so far have been Pats Pizza, Ellsworth giant subs, Governors, and the Otis General store, oh and Dragonfire Pizza. Those we’ve been back to or ordered pick up from more than once.

Skip that chain... it's not real mexican.
See above. I’ve heard good and bad on that place so far.

I like fine stuff on occasion. But Im more talking cheap ass dingy taco shop with a drive thru and a $7 taco/enchilada combo with rice and beans that blows even the finest of the fine out of the water. Like I never u derstood how Taco Bell survived in SoCal. You could go to just about any dive taco shop on the corner and get way better food for the same price. We will give it a shot next time we head that way (which should be soon, like maybe even tomorow. Need to make another Sams club run)

Yeah we’ve driven by it a few times. I’ve been told they are good, and I’ve been told it’s not. One of these days we will give it a try. Slowly working our way thru the local joints and are trying hard not to eat at the same place twice u til we’ve tried them all. Exceptions so far have been Pats Pizza, Ellsworth giant subs, Governors, and the Otis General store, oh and Dragonfire Pizza. Those we’ve been back to or ordered pick up from more than once.

See above. I’ve heard good and bad on that place so far.
I've taken to looking at restaurant reviews with a mega-shit-ton of skepticism. I've found a number that have gotten rave reviews make me want to :barf: and vice versa.

. . . Yeah we’ve driven by it a few times. I’ve been told they are good, and I’ve been told it’s not. . . .
One of my favorites. I'm not even sure what "real" Mexican is. There is a place in Providence called Mexico that is operated by . . . wait for it . . . Mexican's . . . so its probably pretty real . . . but it never worked for me. Give it a shot and draw your own conclusion.

Exceptions so far have been Pats Pizza, Ellsworth giant subs, Governors, and the Otis General store, oh and Dragonfire Pizza.
Pats: Check. Governors: Check. Both have locations in Orono and I visit both (plus Margaritas which is right next to Pat's) every time I'm in the area. The Orono location of Pats is also the original. Even though both Pats and Margaritas have morphed into regional chains the Orono locations remain in the original building and maintain the original experience.

Last edited:
I told you before:
Yup, it's a bit of a drive from you, but just combine it with visiting Deer Isle Deer Isle-Stonington Maine Chamber of Commerce | Visitor Info
Deer Isle is beautiful. Very cool bridge to get there. On the way there stop on caterpillar hill to take some pictures.
44North coffe in Stonington is well worth a visit.

I told you before:
Yup, it's a bit of a drive from you, but just combine it with visiting Deer Isle Deer Isle-Stonington Maine Chamber of Commerce | Visitor Info
Deer Isle is beautiful. Very cool bridge to get there. On the way there stop on caterpillar hill to take some pictures.
44North coffe in Stonington is well worth a visit.
Nice. Wifey wants to get out of the house today so maybe today would be a good day to go check that out and make a trip.

Margs is okay. Used to be a go-to cheap beer place, but my understanding is that no longer applies (I don't drink, so I don't really keep up with the bargin hunting). Not legit mexican, but they'll put something that sure looks like mexican in front of you.

Pats is fine, I honestly think the Orono location is a bit over rated, but then again, I didn't spend a minute longer in Orono than I had to.

Orientals Jade in Bangor is good too for Chinese. On the outskirts of the Bangor Mall. YMMV as its been 8-10 years...

The fortune cookie thing is just that restaurant, I've never run into that before.

Right? I sprayed that stuff liberally when we got here all over the parking area and a few other spots. Turned shit brown but that was about it.

Kill w/ roundup.once brown, go back over with fire.

Seems to be working well on our walkway

Well we did go to Bangor today. Didn’t make it to the above suggested places though. We wound up in the downtown area on Main st. Wandered the area and checked out some of the shops, Maggie wanted to go to the discovery museum but they are closed until further notice apparently. HVAC upgrades among other things according to their website. Did hit up the little Whoopie pie shop next door for some goodies though. Also hit up Bangor sandwiches for lunch as the bagel place was mobbed. Nice little shop. I had a fantastic chef salad and the wife and kids shared a Detroit style pizza.

after that we finally hit up some stuff in Brewer/Holden on our way back along 1A. Stopped at the bakery outlet and snagged some bread and a few other odds and ends. Stopped and shopped at Maine Military Supply for a while too. Snagged some more winter gear for the wife and kids, I got another pair of winter gloves and some other odds and ends from their clearance tent. All in all it was a nice way to spend a rainy, foggy, windy day.

So having this amazing new kitchen with the gas range and all this space has really rekindled my love of cooking. And now we are so rural that delivery is no longer an option, it’s really gotten us back into it. I actually do have an associates degree in Culinary Arts from Johnson & Wales.

so last week I just had this desire to start making bread. So I ordered a bread machine which came Friday. Today I took the boy to Hannaford to grocery shop and I made sure to run down the baking aisle where I grabbed a bag of bread flour and stocked up on several different types of yeast and a sourdough kit. When we got home I decided to try a simple white bread recipe For the first one. this machine is pretty cool. All self contained and it does everything. Just add the ingredients to the pan, stick it in and choose what you want to bake.
C8F9F40A-6A97-4432-B841-73855D70FD87.jpeg

after a couple of hours I had a nice, hot, fresh loaf of bread ready to go. Popped right out of the pan and we cut the first slice and buttered it still hot out of the machine.
0F86204B-4ACE-469B-B038-E8F9ED19499D.jpeg

for a very basic white bread it was delicious. I’m looking forward to trying some other recipes. Machine even has a seed/nut/fruit dropper thing that adds the ingredients at the right time during its cycle. I’m planning to make some pumpkin bread for the Halloween party we are throwing on the 30th.

also made some vegetable lasagnas the other day. We now have a vacuum sealer so I portioned one out and vac packed and froze individual pieces for later enjoyment.
7D724836-D36E-4AE7-B3AD-A8D527D69AFC.jpeg
1D20A849-7E71-4A12-A741-6C04E0A0D190.jpeg

and I’ve been making some mean breakfast paninis on my griddle too. Looking forward to making one in the morning with some of my fresh baked bread.

We've had a vacuum sealer for years and love it. We buy stuff in bulk from places like CostCo, break it into meal sizes, seal, and freeze.
We also look for sales and buy bunches of our favorites, seal and freeze. It's saved us tons of $$$$$$$

We've had a vacuum sealer for years and love it. We buy stuff in bulk from places like CostCo, break it into meal sizes, seal, and freeze.
We also look for sales and buy bunches of our favorites, seal and freeze. It's saved us tons of $$$$$$$
Yeah I’ve had one before. Wifey said it was just clutter in the old place and got rid of it :shaking: so now I have a new one. Need to get the fridge/mini freezer tree over from the basement and get a stand up freezer to go down there in it’s place so we can really start stocking up on stuff.

I have read this entire thread, but now I realize it has all been a waste. You need to just delete it all and pretend it next happened, pack up and move back. Vegetable Lasagna - how dare you!
Veggie lasagna is good stuff, but I don't see any eggplant and I'm not sure what all that green not spinach is.

Looks like a salad casserole:confused:

I have read this entire thread, but now I realize it has all been a waste. You need to just delete it all and pretend it next happened, pack up and move back. Vegetable Lasagna - how dare you!

Veggie lasagna is good stuff, but I don't see any eggplant and I'm not sure what all that green not spinach is.

Looks like a salad casserole:confused:

wife can be a picky eater and my daughter definitely is. I do love some red meat as much as the next guy, but occasionally I also enjoy some good veggies. Built this lasagna with Baby Bella and white button mushrooms, spinach, HUGE beefsteak tomatoes, whole milk mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, etc. it was fucking tasty if I do say so myself.

wife can be a picky eater and my daughter definitely is. I do love some red meat as much as the next guy, but occasionally I also enjoy some good veggies. Built this lasagna with Baby Bella and white button mushrooms, spinach, HUGE beefsteak tomatoes, whole milk mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, etc. it was fucking tasty if I do say so myself.
I make mine with ground beef, ground sausage, spicy sausage links -sliced thin- some diced peppers - red/orange/yellow, diced asparagus and layered different flavored cheeses. I am open for veggies in there, just need the meat too!

Top Back Refresh