What's new

Low horsepower and t case gearing

My last 4runner had a 3rz, 38 sx's, lockers, stock duals and w56. The second case had a 23 spline input. Enough power to get it done, but not enough to brake shit. I bagged on it for years, took it racing, clutched kicked it a million times, side stepped the clutch in 4low at red line multiple times. The beast just dead hooked and took off. I think one thing that saves parts, that most people over look, is the engine and trans mounts. I ran stock rubber mounts on the engine, and one on each case. Stiff enough to keep it where it needs to be, but enough give to soak up shock loads. Anyway, a 3rz makes more power NA than a turbo 22turd.

My last 4runner had a 3rz, 38 sx's, lockers, stock duals and w56. The second case had a 23 spline input. Enough power to get it done, but not enough to brake shit. I bagged on it for years, took it racing, clutched kicked it a million times, side stepped the clutch in 4low at red line multiple times. The beast just dead hooked and took off. I think one thing that saves parts, that most people over look, is the engine and trans mounts. I ran stock rubber mounts on the engine, and one on each case. Stiff enough to keep it where it needs to be, but enough give to soak up shock loads. Anyway, a 3rz makes more power NA than a turbo 22turd.
mounts are a big deal and i too mounted mine the same. :beer:

Have you looked into the eco crawler at all? It would use the planitarys from that chain case to what tcase you want, assuming that tcase would bolt to your current trans.

Toyota cases are great for what they're for. Once you start adding a ton of adapters to get them in between stuff the didn't come in, it gets kinda pointless quick.
I had not. I see what you are saying though! They only list options for the VF2 and VF4. my 98 limited has a VF3. I'd need to see if they have an option for that.

Maybe I can sell the two adapters (A340F to Toyota geared case & Toyota geared case back to VF3AM) that it came with the buggy when I bought it (not installed) and buy an eco crawler.....does make more sense! Thanks.

I had not. I see what you are saying though! They only list options for the VF2 and VF4. my 98 limited has a VF3. I'd need to see if they have an option for that.

Maybe I can sell the two adapters (A340F to Toyota geared case & Toyota geared case back to VF3AM) that it came with the buggy when I bought it (not installed) and buy an eco crawler.....does make more sense! Thanks.

I'd imagine that you could just source a VF2 for a donor case.

Top Back Refresh