What's new

Low horsepower and t case gearing

I have a 22RE with probably less than 60K on it. I didn't even realize people turbo'd these engines or that they'd be good candidates. If one wanted to look into it, is there a good resource/forum/site? I'm assuming we're all talking hp at the crank...not the wheels.

17:05 and 19:20 in the video is my old 22r turbo buggy. She would party. And yes, talking crank hp.

Goes into christ stler deslership to measure a redeye block for a swap:lmao:

Dana 300s don't like shock loads or low gears in front of them.

1704909108385.png

I have a 22RE with probably less than 60K on it. I didn't even realize people turbo'd these engines or that they'd be good candidates. If one wanted to look into it, is there a good resource/forum/site? I'm assuming we're all talking hp at the crank...not the wheels.
While they can be made to have decent power, they are truck motors designed to have great torque at low RPM's. The high swirl intake ports work great at low RPM. At high RPM and boost the will centrifuge the fuel out of suspension washing down the cylinder walls. This leads to high wear. Then there the rod ratio, it sucks. The newer 2 and 3RZ motors have way better flowing heads and better rod ratios. They will make way better power under boost.

What about just something to wake it up like 5-7 lbs of boost?

I feel like I remember some one on pbb talking about slightly bigger injectors and stock computer working well on low boost.

i did the turbo 22r with propane. it opened up the power for sure. combine that with dual tcases and 7.17 gears it was a all new animal. giggle fest all the time once the turbo spooled up.

this is a ok vid i did of my 22r turbo

and 22r had a factory turbo also from 84-85 if i recall.
on the old site i followed stubs build on how to turbo a 22r on propane.

86-88

What about just something to wake it up like 5-7 lbs of boost?

I feel like I remember some one on pbb talking about slightly bigger injectors and stock computer working well on low boost.
5-7 is totally doable. A 2-1 FMU to keep up, a resistor on the coolant temp sensor to richen it up and your golden. An intercooler would help. Stock injectors will work fine.

Beyond that and the stock computer becomes a real liability.

I had a pickup with a NA 2rz, that had a w56 crawl box and an atlas 4.3. I swapped in a aw4 and diched the crawl box. It worked well but needed to be lower. Put in a 5.1 and it worked great.

Stall speed is a huge factor as well. I personally would prefer a stall speed that’s a bit low and with the fear of driving through the brakes Vs one that’s too high and you’re constantly on it to get it to go. You have a lot mor cont with the lower stall

The only 80s turd 4-bangers that do ok with a turbo and double or triple their OEM power are the 2.3 and the Volvo Redblock and even then it's not exactly great at holding together under any appreciable power, it's just well supported (so like the 4-banger equivalent of a chevy 350).

Honda K series take turbskies like champs

FWIW I know everything breaks but my friend trashed a toy/d300 adapter bearings running the toy reduction instead of the 4-1 in the 300. Pretty typical Toyota buggy, 3rz. W56, toy/D300 doubler tons with 5.38s and 39.5 reds. He's not a abusive driver either.

IIRC he said the Toy reduction unit and adapter don't hold much fluid and are independent of the D300. I could be wrong, it was awhile ago...

Speaking of Dana 300's......does anyone still make a Toyota gear case to Dana 300 adapter?
You're not planning to add a Toyota gear box to your JHF chassis, are you?

You're not planning to add a Toyota gear box to your JHF chassis, are you?
No Sir! Considering adding a Dana 300 and Geared Toyota reduction box to get away from a chain VF3AM T-case in a 4runner buggy that I currently have. It came with an adapters to put a Toyota gear case in front of the factory VF3AM t-case. I don't like the chain case so I was just seeing who still made the adapter to put a 300 instead. IF......IF ....I went ahead with that plan I'd swap to passenger drop front axle (currently has a built 44 front).

Attachments

• 4runner.jpg
    4runner.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 8
im running 22re/R151/Dual 23 spline Ultimates and 5.29s on 40's. things slow as snot but it never has a problem with anything JV can toss at it. be shocked that 22re has more than 75hp.

Do you run double low most of the time?

Do you ever use 4hi?
On an obstacle I'm in double low. Haven't had to deal with any loose dirt hill climbs yet, only had the buggy on a few trips so it's still pretty "new". So more experimenting is needed. Heading to Harlan in June so I think I'll get the chance to try more situations.

Between trails, I can run High/High or Low/High depending on how rough/bumpy the access roads are. But that's mainly due to ride comfort for me, not the gearing.

On an obstacle I'm in double low. Haven't had to deal with any loose dirt hill climbs yet, only had the buggy on a few trips so it's still pretty "new". So more experimenting is needed. Heading to Harlan in June so I think I'll get the chance to try more situations.

Between trails, I can run High/High or Low/High depending on how rough/bumpy the access roads are. But that's mainly due to ride comfort for me, not the gearing.

I'm somewhat surprised high/high isn't totally gutless. 4.88s are what the engine and trans came with for 26" tires :laughing:

FWIW I know everything breaks but my friend trashed a toy/d300 adapter bearings running the toy reduction instead of the 4-1 in the 300. Pretty typical Toyota buggy, 3rz. W56, toy/D300 doubler tons with 5.38s and 39.5 reds. He's not a abusive driver either.

IIRC he said the Toy reduction unit and adapter don't hold much fluid and are independent of the D300. I could be wrong, it was awhile ago...

There was a guy on pbb who had less than great results with that adapter as well. It's a pretty dumb design imo. Looks like they use a Th350 to D300 adapter for the back half, which happens to be about the weakest tail housing of any 4x4 :homer:

No Sir! Considering adding a Dana 300 and Geared Toyota reduction box to get away from a chain VF3AM T-case in a 4runner buggy that I currently have. It came with an adapters to put a Toyota gear case in front of the factory VF3AM t-case. I don't like the chain case so I was just seeing who still made the adapter to put a 300 instead. IF......IF ....I went ahead with that plan I'd swap to passenger drop front axle (currently has a built 44 front).

Have you looked into the eco crawler at all? It would use the planitarys from that chain case to what tcase you want, assuming that tcase would bolt to your current trans.

Toyota cases are great for what they're for. Once you start adding a ton of adapters to get them in between stuff the didn't come in, it gets kinda pointless quick.

I had a mini-truck with a souped-up 22R, double stock gear cases, 5.71s and 37s. I very rarely used double low in the cases. the biggest issue is when you had to back-up in double low. you don't have a 2nd or 3rd reverse, so you have to shift a case into high to get some wheelspeed in reverse. I wheel with guys with a single 4:1 low and they shift into high to go backwards.

Op is talkin zuki's???
I be lost:confused:
Yer probably right.
I'm not ever sure if I can believe that a slushbox is a better choice for a wheeler tho.

SO

Anyone wanna gofundme a
Minni truck, 4 cyl diesel ,
( insert transmission here) 4 sp Atlas, portaled hi 9's

I had dual toyota transmissions behind a stock 20r, that was fun. Always had the gear I needed!

Dunno if the auto has the same output as the manuals or not though. I do remember the front tranny had to be a 4cyl, rear could be from a 4 or 6 cyl truck. Rear trans probably wouldn't hold up long with an engine making anything more then stock power though, at least, not under full throttle assaults.

Top Back Refresh