What's new

Low horsepower and t case gearing

Wfoyota

Member Number
For those of you with low horsepower and automatics, what kind of case gearing did you end up liking? Plan is a turbo 22r/aw4 and 4.88 axle gears (axles were already this way) for reference. Original plan was a 5:1 atlas but the more I think about it, an eco box/300 seems appealing. Im an old toyota guy so I know the benefits of a doubler and also the benefits of an atlas for simplicity. Is 5:1 enough for the auto with 150 hp and 43s? Will 7:1 be too much without being able to kick the 300 in 4:1 to begin with cause of the stock 300 gearing? Im in the southeast so a lot of rev limiter banging and im not scared of a neutral drop either to get into boost faster but I am a more technical driver in the rocks. Thoughts and experiences?

I’d be worried anything over 5:1 having your brakes be able to hold it back. I had 5:1 and could barely hold 5.44:1 on a down hill.

I’d be worried anything over 5:1 having your brakes be able to hold it back. I had 5:1 and could barely hold 5.44:1 on a down hill.
Never thought of that but solid point.

22R with a turbo? 150hp? You're doing something very wrong.

im running a turbo'ed LE5 ecotec with a TH350(2600stall) and 5:1 atlas. 6.17/6.20 and 43's. Its not bad at all but i have a tiny K04 turbo so minimal lag and peak torque around 1600rpm. No complaints really. my bump it gear is second on steep stuff. I can run 3rd if i really need a lot of wheel speed. Sometimes I wish 1st was a little lower for super slow stuff.

i think 150hp with 4.88's and 43's would be pretty useless for east coast wheeling :eek:.

Are y'all saying 150HP is too much or not enough for a 22R with a turbo? Just curious. LOL:flipoff2:
Curious also. The old motor ran great with a 5 speed and 43s but its hard for me to imagine it's much over 150 hp. And if it is then thats great

I've been wanting to do this for quite a while, so have been pestering people for a while about gearing. Just now got the bell from Boomtacoma01 he ran 4.3 atlas and 5.38s and said it was sometimes not low enough.

The other guys I've asked seemed OK with 5.xx and 5.44.

I think if you want wheel speed, you'll want a doubler. Not to mention just running between obstacles 5.0 will be kinda too low and high range will be useless.

I'd think 2.7/2.62/7.07 would be plenty. But maybe having 4.0 and 2.7 as options would be better? Dohble low will probably be useless.

Also, I think Tydes has ran a few different 4cyl autos

i think 150hp with 4.88's and 43's would be pretty useless for east coast wheeling :eek:.
Youre not wrong but there is plenty of yota guys down here. It was a solid setup in my old buggy with 5 speed and dual cases (5:1) but this automatic is a different variable so im curious to what gearing people prefer. We may be hillbillys but not all of us are rock bouncing hillbillys :stirthepot:

I've been wanting to do this for quite a while, so have been pestering people for a while about gearing. Just now got the bell from Boomtacoma01 he ran 4.3 atlas and 5.38s and said it was sometimes not low enough.

The other guys I've asked seemed OK with 5.xx and 5.44.

I think if you want wheel speed, you'll want a doubler. Not to mention just running between obstacles 5.0 will be kinda too low and high range will be useless.

I'd think 2.7/2.62/7.07 would be plenty. But maybe having 4.0 and 2.7 as options would be better? Dohble low will probably be useless.
Its mixed emotions everywhere as you stated. What you said are my thoughts as well about the doubler gearing, and its cheaper overall than an atlas.

Its mixed emotions everywhere as you stated. What you said are my thoughts as well about the doubler gearing, and its cheaper overall than an atlas.

Yes, obviously different terrains dictate different driving styles and gearing.

Cheaper until you spend all the money on upgrades :laughing: as hard as D300s for a reasonable price are to find, I don't even think of them as an option anymore. I'd lean to a 205, but if you find it's not low enough. You're kinda hosed. Unless you want to swap the 14b for a D70 on 9" and go way deeper on axle gears.

Youre not wrong but there is plenty of yota guys down here. It was a solid setup in my old buggy with 5 speed and dual cases (5:1) but this automatic is a different variable so im curious to what gearing people prefer. We may be hillbillys but not all of us are rock bouncing hillbillys :stirthepot:

I thought all of us east of the mississippi were only hill killin and mud whompin:laughing:

First thing to do is shitcan the stock CT20 turbo. The drive pressure ratios those things produce is pretty horrific. They made 135hp stock. Bumping to a better turbo without any increase in boost will net you 150. Add fuel and 20psi, you will be in the 250-300 range depending on parts. The last 22RTE I built in an 85 4runner would beat a Lexus sc400 in a drag race. It was very hard on 8" thirds though. It was only running 33's.

I have a couple different drivetrain iterations in my 85 beater.

Granted my 22re was pretty tired:

22re/R151/Dual 23 spline Ultimates and 5.29s on 37s and 39s ->fair Loved having the duals, hated clutching/shifting

22re/A340/Atlas II 4.3/ 5.38s on 39 Reds -> gutless with no use of high range, could get bound up and not even able to spin the wheels at times.

currently 2rz turboed/ a340/Atlas II 4.3/ 5.38s on 39 Reds and 40 SX2s -> can easily drive through the brakes, high range is now usable and works pretty damn good.

i am IN favor with the LS in any format. and some gears. and a tcase in 4 to 1 range roughly. its about as universal as it gets.

First thing to do is shitcan the stock CT20 turbo. The drive pressure ratios those things produce is pretty horrific. They made 135hp stock. Bumping to a better turbo without any increase in boost will net you 150. Add fuel and 20psi, you will be in the 250-300 range depending on parts. The last 22RTE I built in an 85 4runner would beat a Lexus sc400 in a drag race. It was very hard on 8" thirds though. It was only running 33's.
Yea, this motor is t25 flange with gt28 style turbo, head studs, big cam, 15 psi, and on 425 impco setup.

i went through all the stages of trying to get the 22r to work. at times i really loved it .never had an auto though. its crazy hard to get torque out of a small engine with out the added gears and turbo. but it s a fun route to go down . :beer:

I have a 22RE with probably less than 60K on it. I didn't even realize people turbo'd these engines or that they'd be good candidates. If one wanted to look into it, is there a good resource/forum/site? I'm assuming we're all talking hp at the crank...not the wheels.

i did the turbo 22r with propane. it opened up the power for sure. combine that with dual tcases and 7.17 gears it was a all new animal. giggle fest all the time once the turbo spooled up.

this is a ok vid i did of my 22r turbo

and 22r had a factory turbo also from 84-85 if i recall.
on the old site i followed stubs build on how to turbo a 22r on propane.

I have a 22RE with probably less than 60K on it. I didn't even realize people turbo'd these engines or that they'd be good candidates.
They're not. That's why you almost never see them turbo'd and kept (and why you're just hearing about this now) and always see them swapped out for other engines that lend themselves better to that (2JZ) or V8s.

The only 80s turd 4-bangers that do ok with a turbo and double or triple their OEM power are the 2.3 and the Volvo Redblock and even then it's not exactly great at holding together under any appreciable power, it's just well supported (so like the 4-banger equivalent of a chevy 350).

The 22R/RE, the Subaru EA, the iron duke, the Mitsubishi shit, none of that shit is long for the world at 200+hp unless you want to waste "V8 swap five times over" amounts of money turd polishing them and even then it's an uphill battle because you can't just buy what you need like you can for the 2.3 or if you can there's less options and they're more expensive and then when you do get all that shit done you wind up breaking the block or crank and then you realize that's why those other engines are supported and yours isn't.

You can turbo anything. Doesn't mean it's a good use of resources though. If you want 200hp swap in a Vortec 305.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh