What's new

low buck 1 ton swap

JeepinLee

Builder of all things covered in rust
Member Number
Well its my first post in this community so go easy on me but I figured is start a thread on this old cj7 that I'm helping friend build. Were doing this as cheap as physically possible while also stretching the wheel base and lowering the jeep 3 inches so it will still fit into a garage when 40s go on in the future. Starting point is your basic cj7 with spring over conversion on stock axles, 37s, and yj leaf conversion kit. End goal is 18-20 inches to the belly and 102-104 inch wheel base.

We found a set of axles with a Chevy king pin for the front and a 14 bolt in the back. they were already geared with 4.88s, spool in the rear, ratchet locker up front, and a old blue torch fab high steer arm with tie rod and drag link. grand total = 1500

We started in the front of the jeep to get that axle set and stretched to see if the idea to lower the jeep with spring over was even possible. For the first Barnes 4wd parts order included 4 inch shackles, a set of shackle hangers, their king pin swap kit, and new high steer studs because 2 out of the 4 studs where broke. grand total of a 230ish bucks
IMG_4532.jpeg

Tearing down begins.
IMG_4538.jpeg

Trying to visualize there the new hangers are going to live. We ended up just reusing part of the old hangers for now. Once again this is trying to be done for next to nothing so reusing as much as possible and making all the other bracketry.
IMG_4694.jpeg

New hangers I came up with welder the nut side into the frame and had the outer piece made from the old hanger. I'm sure ill get some push back for this and it might not be the best way but I didn't want to chop up the frame since the likely hood of this all coming off for links in the next couple years is pretty high.
IMG_4611.jpeg

front hanger location mock up. Ended up mounting them a smidge lower then pictured
IMG_4755.jpeg

My buddy refused to give up his Motobilt Bumper, so I went to town with a grinder. Now that it fits again Im pretty happy we stayed with using it because it helps hide how forward the front hangers are mounted
IMG_4730.jpeg

And of course the flex test. Ended up with 4 inches of up travel and just shy of 10 inches of down travel before the shackle inverts. I'm still thinking about adding a stopper to make sure it doesn't ever invert. The drag link isn't connected in the picture.

With a stroke of luck my buddy had a coworker gift him a MORE hd steering box mount so for the cost of 20 bucks in hardware and material to make spacers we pushed the box forward with this mount but don't have any pictures of that process. Luckily the drag link that came with the axle was long so I cut that down a made it work.
IMG_4709.jpeg

Bonus!! front drive shaft fits perfectly
IMG_4848.jpeg
IMG_4849.jpeg

Finally out of the garage to be flipped around and get the rear knocked out.
IMG_4850.jpeg

As it sits, pretty decent up grade from that little dirty30. So far we are sitting at 1730 into the project and the front is 90% complete still need shocks and to decide weather invest into hydro assist or make the switch to full hydro since this jeep sees very little actual street driving. I will be starting the rear swap this weekend now that another box from Barnes 4wd with most of my parts

Low buck. Thought this was about his bideos

Running a very similar setup in a low slung, stretched YJ on same axles and 39's. Love this

Subbed.... even tho my 30 has survived the last 25 yrs I know it's not long and I've contemplated this also.

You staying on 37s or bumping up?

Crazy deal on that 60. Around here people command 2k for a stock chevy frontend.

What engine is in it?

What's going on with these shackles?

1711048646914.png

Did the tack welds get tweaked when flexing for clearance originally maybe? I mean they both look kicked over to the passenger side right?

Did the tack welds get tweaked when flexing for clearance originally maybe? I mean they both look kicked over to the passenger side right?
Yea that’s exactly what happened. I had them tacked and they tweaked then I flexed it. They’re fixed now. The passenger side spring is a bit tweaked so it kicks the shackles in a weird way. Like I said, my buddy is in the house buying process so we are reusing everything to keep it cheap. These springs are absolutely whooped

Crazy deal on that 60. Around here people command 2k for a stock chevy frontend.

What engine is in it?
Here that’s on the low end for king pins but these have had a rough life. Super duty 60 are 500 and under. But it has a stock 4.2 with almost 300k on it

Top Back Refresh