What's new

Looking for a new coyote gun help me pick.

I vote .243 Winchester.

I have a .204 and it is the best for prairie dogs at <300 but the wind moves that little stinger a foot easily in a normal Wyoming day.
I started varmit hunting with a .223 but wanted some more speed so along came the .204.

I switch back and forth depending on the day but have killed more coyotes with the .243.

Bullet technology hasn’t really moved much in the last 50 years. You want high horsepower Roy Weatherby already has a round for you.

You want the latest trend the 6.5 whatever and the .204 Ruger are the darlings.

you lost me on your bullet technology comment

.22 and 6mm for a start
IMG_1008.jpeg
IMG_1007.jpeg

and they didn't really have much in the way of really long bullets for them

the heavy 70gr offerings of the time in 224 were flat base

What modern caliber under 7mm surpasses what has been out for 50 years really in a big way?

maybe you meant to say cartridge technology?

a case could be made for that but i don't really agree.

bullet technology has come leaps and bounds.

maybe you meant to say cartridge technology?

a case could be made for that but i don't really agree.

bullet technology has come leaps and bounds.
Here is why I say what I say and maybe it will make sense or you can disagree or agree.

Winchester .270 1923 vintage
Winchester .270 WSM 2002 vintage

The 270 WSM has an advantage but not huge
In real life results both will break the entry rib on an elk, take out the lungs or heart, break the exit rib, and not get through the hide and stop there.
I have three hides from both calibers to prove that.

Yes, the .270 WSM is a shorter action and lighter but no big advantage in stoping power.
My wife shoots a 270 WSM and the neighbor lady on the mountain shoots a 270 Winchester

I’ve helped gut and clean many times for both of them.

Just to update the thread, I chose a Springfield Waypoint 2020 in 6mm Creedmoor. It should arrive this weekend. A very lightweight low recoil rifle that checked almost all of the features I was looking for.
My friend who was trying to get me to build a custom 22 creedmoor is still waiting on his barrel and stock. The barrel manufacturer said it could be another 6 months. So he bought himself a seekins havak ph2 nrl in 6mm creedmoor to keep him busy while he waits.

Just to update the thread, I chose a Springfield Waypoint 2020 in 6mm Creedmoor. It should arrive this weekend. A very lightweight low recoil rifle that checked almost all of the features I was looking for.
My friend who was trying to get me to build a custom 22 creedmoor is still waiting on his barrel and stock. The barrel manufacturer said it could be another 6 months. So he bought himself a seekins havak ph2 nrl in 6mm creedmoor to keep him busy while he waits.

wtf? 6 months? Kreiger literally has .224 blanks sitting in stock. i waited 3 weeks for them to factory flute it. ive bought a other barrel from Benchmark, they say 4 weeks to ship that one likely because the spiral fluting.

22 creedmoor is just a .224 blank. i assume the 6 months is Bartlien? because they're sucking up all that uncle sugar Ukraine war money sending Ukraine barrels like they're toothpicks

wtf? 6 months? Kreiger literally has .224 blanks sitting in stock. i waited 3 weeks for them to factory flute it. ive bought a other barrel from Benchmark, they say 4 weeks to ship that one likely because the spiral fluting.

22 creedmoor is just a .224 blank. i assume the 6 months is Bartlien? because they're sucking up all that uncle sugar Ukraine war money sending Ukraine barrels like they're toothpicks
Carbon six. I found him some in stock alternatives but he wants the sendero profile that his stock is made for and carbon fiber wrapped.

I am doing pre-fits for the HAVAK now.
He just bought the havak (btw seekins’ custom shop quoted me 9-12 months for a custom rifle and starting price was $4000.

He has a Curtis Axiom he’s trying to find a barrel for.

Nice choice.... what are you doing for a scope?

Here is an opinion and fact piece that I base some of my opinions on

The part that I would be concerned about is ammo in 25 years.

I think you got a great caliber.
Enjoy your gun and post pics of those dead coyotes

Here is an opinion and fact piece that I base some of my opinions on

The part that I would be concerned about is ammo in 25 years.

I think you got a great caliber.
Enjoy your gun and post pics of those dead coyotes
I think I’ll have that barrel shot out within 25 years. Then I’ll just spin on anything else that fits the .308 bolt face. That includes .243.

You think the creedmoor is going somewhere?:lmao:
How much meat you put in the freezer in the last 5 years with a Creedmore?

If you’re making money and sponsored on 1000 yard shots with the Creedmores and PRS’s Sponsorships my hats off to you. You are a hell of a shot.

The guys that I know that are sponsored for the above shots are shooting 300 Win Mags or 300 Weatherby’s when they are putting Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho elk in the freezer.

If you’re making money and sponsored on 1000 yard shots with the Creedmores and PRS’s Sponsorships my hats off to you. You are a hell of a shot.

The guys that I know that are sponsored for the above shots are shooting 300 Win Mags or 300 Weatherby’s when they are putting Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho elk in the freezer.

Well thats really neat. But what does any of that have to do with finding creedmoor ammo in 25 years?

Yesterday a I pasted a coyote about 150 yds from the patio door of the house using an AR that is a conglomeration of ALL the bad parts I have removed/replaced on all my other AR's that please me. I used, ironically, only one round of Wolf steel cased 55 gr. ammo from a 1/7 PSA barrel and a SIG MSR red dot. After reading this thread I think I may have done it wrongly...

Well thats really neat. But what does any of that have to do with finding creedmoor ammo in 25 years?

The new calibers come out and if they are not something special ammo becomes scarce after 20 years or maybe sooner.

Marketing sells new guns and ammo
Proven guns and ammo sells themselves in 25 years.

Have you harvested anything with your Creedmoor?

At least FrankenToy gave us a real life experience

I have a Waypoint in 6mm CM. I have had it for a little over a year. It has taken 1 Javalina, several coyote's, several foxes, 1 lion and a Mule deer buck. It does tend to throw the cold bore round 1" high for whatever reason. Other than that, I don't have any complaints. Factory ammo didn't shoot very well thru it. But I have a good hand load for it. Let me know if you want the data.

The new calibers come out and if they are not something special ammo becomes scarce after 20 years or maybe sooner.

Marketing sells new guns and ammo
Proven guns and ammo sells themselves in 25 years.

Have you harvested anything with your Creedmoor?

At least FrankenToy gave us a real life experience

The reason the 260 Remington flopped and the 6.5 Creed is a hit, is marketing and support.

While there are still die hard 260 guys, they're using the 1:7-1:8 twist barrels. The SAAMI spec of 1:9 is too slow for the heavy bullets. You'll rarely see a box of factory 260 Remington, and when you do it's 1 option.

Hornady simply optimized the case slightly by shortening it for a short action, and bumping the shoulder from 20 to 30*. Then they spec'd it with a minimum of a 1:8 twist.
Then they pumped out enough ammo in enough flavors to fill every store shelf across the country 10x over.

So I don't think the Creed is going anywhere. I currently have about 3000 pieces of brass between my 6.5s and 25 Creed. I'll most likely end up with a 6mm and a 22 at some point. I'm likely to get 25 years and 10 barrels out of the brass I have on hand. :flipoff2:

To date, the things I've harvested with a 147eld-m out of my 6.5s.
6 whitetail deer
8 elk
2 Coyotes
1 black Angus bull :lmao:

All but the bull were lung shots. There's nothing for meat on deer or elk ribs worth worrying about, so plug one in the lungs and then they can't breathe, won't run, and die quick.

For what it's with 65grn 224 Sierra soft points make a deer plenty dead from a 223 also. :grinpimp:

I have a Waypoint in 6mm CM. I have had it for a little over a year. It has taken 1 Javalina, several coyote's, several foxes, 1 lion and a Mule deer buck. It does tend to throw the cold bore round 1" high for whatever reason. Other than that, I don't have any complaints. Factory ammo didn't shoot very well thru it. But I have a good hand load for it. Let me know if you want the data.
I would like the data. I’m going to be hand loading right away.

Hornady large primer brass
Berger 105 grain hunting VLD
Federal GM210M primer
45.5 grains 4831sc
OAL 2.790
2930fps

Be aware my book calls for 42.2 grains of 4831sc as max load. So, you may want to work up to 45.5 grns..

I am using a suppressor. If you're not your velocity may be a little slower. Also, I'm at 4300' elevation.

101 grain Hammer bullets also shot nice groups with this load.

Edited velocity

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh