What's new

Lever actions WTH?

Whats the word on the R92s?
I got one a month or so ago. 20" BBL in .357/.38. Actually pretty impressed with it. Fit and finish is very good. The wood fits good. The finish on the wood is kinda so-so...pretty typical of a Rossi, from what I've read. Just doesn't appear to be a real even stain across the wood. Lots of "square" edges on the fore end wood (top and end). I may sand them down to round them a little at some point.
I have went through it and "slicked" it up, which did make the action smoother. Still need to work on the ejector spring, as it typically launches the cases into orbit. The proper ejector spring makes them land at your feet.
It's had about 50 rounds through it between my wife and me. Very fun to shoot. Seems to be pretty accurate just shooting it standing at about 20 yards.

I got one a month or so ago. 20" BBL in .357/.38. Actually pretty impressed with it. Fit and finish is very good. The wood fits good. The finish on the wood is kinda so-so...pretty typical of a Rossi, from what I've read. Just doesn't appear to be a real even stain across the wood. Lots of "square" edges on the fore end wood (top and end). I may sand them down to round them a little at some point.
I have went through it and "slicked" it up, which did make the action smoother. Still need to work on the ejector spring, as it typically launches the cases into orbit. The proper ejector spring makes them land at your feet.
It's had about 50 rounds through it between my wife and me. Very fun to shoot. Seems to be pretty accurate just shooting it standing at about 20 yards.
Do you find the reach to be on the short side?

Do you find the reach to be on the short side?
Compared to a "regular" rifle, yes. I'm 6'2", so it does feel a little odd holding something with a shorter than normal length of pull. I have a Marlin model 60 in .22 and the trigger to end of buttstock length (length of pull) is practically identical to the Rossi R92. The forearm wood is a couple of inches longer (extends farther forward) on the Marlin .22

So I want an old school lever carbine, classic cowboy style kinda thing. I’m leaning heavilly to the R92 in 357 due to cost. But I’m having second thoughts it’s not enough. Buffalo Bore claim some of their rounds out perform 30-30. Is that real?
This will be a east coast woods gun, varmits, targets, maybe out to 200-250, my eyes are old. I think worst case would be 300-400# black bear in camp.

Maybe go with 44mag for a little more thump? Never been bear hunting so I don't know. is a 357 enough to kill a black bear humanely without the "golden shot"??

I'm invested into 44's already, so I would be looking for one in that caliber. And will own one or three at some point.

250yards with an open sighted rifle on game with old eyes to boot, is an impressive shot. Mix in the fact that most chamberings in a lever gun have the trajectory of a rock...

But for just a fun plinker whatever gun. That might whack a deer or a bear in camp I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. Do you reload? if so that changes things alot.

I'm invested into 44's already, so I would be looking for one in that caliber. And will own one or three at some point.

250yards with an open sighted rifle on game with old eyes to boot, is an impressive shot. Mix in the fact that most chamberings in a lever gun have the trajectory of a rock...

But for just a fun plinker whatever gun. That might whack a deer or a bear in camp I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. Do you reload? if so that changes things alot.
200-250 is for the range. I’m not gonna shoot something I can’t see. And even a bear or big cat isn’t a threat, yet, that far away. In reality a 6” 357 or 44 will fill my needs for camping. I’m just after a longer range plinker and the poser part of a cowboy carbine.

I don’t reload so cost is a bit of a concern.

I figured that, after I posted. Any of them will work for that. Fun guns.

Pistol ammo is one of the places a guy can really save some money by reloading. I am still using components I bought pre-covid. I load 44mag for around $6.50 per box. We started shooting digger squirrels with the pistols because it was cheaper than shooting the 17hmr lol.

Still at it. Struggling with scaling production right now, we can do a small number perfect or a big number kinda shitty. Dialing in that sweet spot. Hoping I don't go broke first!

We've got the Henry furniture dialed. The Marlin stock is dialed. Still tweaking the internal mounting on the Marlin handguard. We're also working on Long Ranger parts next.

We prefer to shoot short guns with cans, and the first Long Ranger we could get was a .308 based version. So we did what any idiot would do and converted it to 12.5" 1:3 8.6 Blackout. Henry said it was impossible as did some dedicated and talented lever gun smiths. We were ready to destroy the gun to unlock all the secrets and stil fail. But it turns out it's just amazingly difficult, which is way better than impossible. I credit the old OSR in part, for my total willingness to "fuck around and find out". No plans to work on customer guns, and currently no way to get enough guns to convert. Their top tier dealers can't even get them. We may offer barrels and tooling to smiths. Still testing, so it's too early to declare total victory, but we haven't blown up(yet). It may end up just being a really cool 3 or 4 of a kind, since we plan on doing a couple .300 Black versions and another 8.6 if we can ever find the donors.

Anyway the one and only 8.6 Blackout lever gun in the world, and our Henry furniture in cerakote. Too early to say if the 8.6 is all hype, but I have some 350gr Maker Rex's that I am dying to inject into a large animal in the name of science! Fun factor wise the 8.6 is a fucking hoot! Recoil is nothing, sooo quiet, and the the thump of 300gr projectiles is very satisfying.
86 Black and 357 camo E.jpg

Really like my marlin in 44 mag. Thought I would prefer the 45-70 more, but the 44 nag is a lot more fun to plink with and hits hard out of a rifle length barrel. Seen elk taken with one.
Nice if you already have a 44mag to share ammo.

Probably the wisest choice for ammo. .44 Mag is, and always has been, expensive. If you're not reloading, try aluminum cased .38 Spl (Blazers) to save even more money. Although, you can trade the brass if you pick it up...

That'll be a fun gun.

Now learn to reload, so you can afford to shoot the fuckin thing:flipoff2:

Probably the wisest choice for ammo. .44 Mag is, and always has been, expensive. If you're not reloading, try aluminum cased .38 Spl (Blazers) to save even more money. Although, you can trade the brass if you pick it up...
$.50 a squeeze isn’t bad compared to 30/30. I have a rimfire for bulk practice.

It’s silly fun and will do what I want in town. I ran it yesterday with some cheap 357 fmj and some cheap Blazer 38. It runs better with the 357.

I need to find a tear down tutorial and debur it. The action seems notchy

$.50 a squeeze isn’t bad compared to 30/30. I have a rimfire for bulk practice.

It’s silly fun and will do what I want in town. I ran it yesterday with some cheap 357 fmj and some cheap Blazer 38. It runs better with the 357.

I need to find a tear down tutorial and debur it. The action seems notchy
Yep, very notchy. I tore mine down and "slicked it up", as they say. Google it and you can find some info on what to do to make it smoother. I did that to mine and replaced the ejector spring with one I found at Menards so the brass drops at my feet, instead of throwing it 10 feet. I still need to modify the loading door "spring" so it isn't as stiff and possibly shorten the tube spring, to make loading easier.

Yep, very notchy. I tore mine down and "slicked it up", as they say. Google it and you can find some info on what to do to make it smoother. I did that to mine and replaced the ejector spring with one I found at Menards so the brass drops at my feet, instead of throwing it 10 feet. I still need to modify the loading door "spring" so it isn't as stiff and possibly shorten the tube spring, to make loading easier.
The door spring is a pia!
I found pushing 38 in I had to be careful. Something about them would case them to go a little sideways in the well and be difficult.

The door spring is a pia!
I found pushing 38 in I had to be careful. Something about them would case them to go a little sideways in the well and be difficult.
Yep, I noticed that too, if the cartridges aren't lined up perfectly with the tube they just won't go in. I've pushed on them hard enough to actually push the bullets back in the case a little.

Just an FYI, for the ejector spring, I replaced it with one from Menards, like I said. It is Midwest Fasteners, part number 88013 and the spring specs are 7/32x1 5/8x.015wg.

FFP with deploy mill reticle. Initially did it to hit golphers at extreme ranges. I won't ever undo it until all the fudds quit having melt-downs. :smokin:

I've thought about putting a dot on my 94/22 but I just cant make myself do it:laughing:

Top Back Refresh