What's new

Lever actions WTH?

VG SERE

Yellow Skull
Member Number
Holy crap....:confused:

Me and my buddy want a couple of lever actions. Specifically a side eject .357/.38. Seems like the side eject is impossible to find, and the top eject is only incredibly difficult to find. What the heck is up with lever guns right now?

I've called everything local to me and they've checked with their distributors. I found a $1900 churched up Henry, and I'm not rich or dumb enough to have a fancy octagon barrel engraved brass lever gun range toy. I also found a Henry Long Ranger .223 mag fed. Never knew that was a thing.

Other than that my only option is one dealer has some Rossi 92's on order, no eta. Top ejects.

So please help a brother out. What top 3 manufacturers should I be hunting? Any good sources? Is a side eject/ side gate .357 a thing? What should I be paying, seems like lever actions are crazy right now.

Thanks

I have a pre 64 Winchester in 30/30 that I've had for 30 years and i absolutely love it. I just bought a Henry 327 Mag that is pretty fun to shoot, maybe look at them? I'm pretty sure you can get it in 357 also. It's a side eject. Paid $850 on Gun Broker.

I only bought the 327 because I have 1000's of rounds of 327 and 32 H&R to shoot in it. and probably 3-4000 brass and bullets to load for it.

Marlin, Henry, Rossi are pretty much your only options for side eject.

Real popular with Cowboy Action competitions, plus Marlin has been on a manufacturing hiatus until just recently, during the bankruptcy and transition from Remington to Ruger taking over production. You don't want one of the Remington made Marlins anyway.

Ruger hasn't started distributing their Marlin small bore 1894s yet, they started with the .45-70 1895 Marlins.

Pawn shops, gun shows, Armslist, Gunbroker, look for a Marlin 1894 made before 2008, before Remington took over.

I snagged an immaculate, JM stamped, .357, 1894 at Wanenmacher's in Tulsa a couple years ago, I don't think it's had more than a box of shells through it, before I got it. It was pre Covid and Trump was still in office so prices were normal-ish, I think I gave $750 for it, which was still a good price then, most were going for around $1K.

I'm kind of snobby, so I don't pay much attention to Rossi. I really hadn't paid much attention to Henry's centerfire stuff until they introduced their side loading gate models, I think those would be worth looking for too.

I think Henry is the only manufacturer currently producing side eject pistol calibers. The PC rossis I found were top eject and according to buddy, Ruger/Marlin isnt going to produce the 1894 for a while.

Can confirm. RSR offers 23 models of lever gun in that caliber with zero in stock.
We need a "dislike" button.

But thanks for looking.

I guess every other idiot had the same great idea at the same time and it just happens to line up with a total lack of production. Perfect.

Watching a couple on GB, and eyeing some oddball calibers as options.

These things need to become the next AR. 100's of options, 80% receivers, cool calibers, etc.

Damn, are there plans floating around anywhere? Drawings for the receiver and action parts?

Damn, are there plans floating around anywhere? Drawings for the receiver and action parts?
Should be able to at least find patent drawings for most of the common designs since they're all as old as time, technical drawings are harder to come by. You'd also either need a parts source or to have the ability to make and heat treat flat springs, and a lathe to machine the receiver and barrel. Seems that most manufacturers won't just sell a replacement barrel, so finding an off the shelf Henry barrel for example isn't really a thing. I've been planning on doing a scratch build 22 for a while but the machining has been my big hangup. Check out Mark Novak's Anvil gunsmithing on youtube if you would like a good look at the inside workings of old guns.

Last edited:
Should be able to at least find patent drawings for most of the common designs since they're all as old as time, technical drawings are harder to come by. You'd also either need a parts source or to have the ability to make and heat treat flat springs, and a lathe to machine the receiver and barrel. Seems that most manufacturers won't just sell a replacement barrel, so finding an off the shelf Henry barrel for example isn't really a thing. I've been planning on doing a scratch build 22 for a while but the machining has been my big hangup. Check out Mark Novak's Anvil gunsmithing on youtube if you would like a good look at the inside workings of old guns.
Appreciate the info. Already went full retard...Over payed on GB for a side eject, side load in .357.

Plan is to make a 100% lever gun. While I do have a degree in CNC/manual machining, I'm basically the hype, dumb idea guy. My partner in crime owns a machine shop that already produces parts for gun manufacturers you know.

went full retard...Over payed on GB for a side eject, side load in .357.
giphy.gif

Picked up a Henry Big Boy X in .357. Exactly what I was looking for. Side eject, side gate, threaded barrel. Surprisingly nice all around.

Hitting the range today hopefully. Then some accessories. RPP hand guard to start.

I'm meh on the .357/38. I need to figure out what calibers makes sense with the bolt face and OAL, etc. Dreaming of a .300 Blackout, or a .350 Legend. Something fun suppressed but actually useful. May require a different donor action... 9mm would be a hoot... No clue if extraction/ejection will work on a recessed rim? May just end up a fantasy, but we're gonna pull it apart and find out how deep down the rabbit hole we'll have to go.

Cool day at the range. First off the gun/ can combo was giggle inducing on anyone who shot it. I ditched my ears when the bay cleared and holy crap, quiet. Was also cool because I ran into Patrick Kelly and we had a nice chat which ended with him running the gun and giggling like a kid!

Pros:
Action and trigger are surprisingly smooth out of the box
0 recoil with .38sp
QUIET, like movie quiet
Easily 3" groups at 25yds, running as fast as I could run it and keep on the sights.
Handy as heck, basically a stick! Compared to my AR's which have shit poking in every direction.
threaded out of the box
side gate is only way to run can*
fiber sights worked perfect with my can. It's a oddball size, a step down from the common 9/30 cans if i recall, so YMMV
FUN!

Cons:
Could not try it with any .38+P, or ANY .357 mag loads due to ammo availability
Mag tube becomes useless with any can, so a side gate is the only option for quiet lever guns.
I don't have a range in my backyard and unlimited ammo.

Overall 10/10 would bang again
Lever.png

I have a Marlin Dark Series in .45-70 and run a Bowers .458 can on it. I like it a lot with the short barrel and big can it is still very manageable. I plan on using it for calling bears.

I would love a Marlin lever in a 44mag or 357 but like posted above they are $$.

I have a 45-70 and 35 Rem both Marlin and since they aren't mint I don't mind getting them out and shooting or tossing in the truck.

Jurassic Park happened.

0F232BDB-35A3-4964-99AD-5483A5184577.jpeg

I gave up a couple of years ago looking for one. :homer:
Ruger/Marlin, just start producing the 1895's again. You have a better chance of scoring a near normal deal on a 45-70 than just about anything short of a .22.

I may have a problem.

Parts on way to basically recreate this exact build with a RDS.

Also trying to track down a Marlin 336 in 30-30.

Hilarious that in the past decade I walked past piles of cool lever guns at great prices and never even looked twice. Now a used 30-30 is $1k... Some inflation, sure, but DAMN... Could ya'll stop for a second so I can catch up! I swear after I get the 30-30, I'll stop! Well...if I see a deal on a 45-70, but after that...I'm done...for sure....Those Henry Long Rangers are kinda cool eh...Maybe SBR with a can...? Yeah by then the prices will be back down to normal, right?:clown:

You'll probably want to just go ahead and grab that 45-70. Then a .444 and a .450. I've gotten to where I love the big bores.

Sharing some shit that about 10 people in the world know right now.

Life is crazy sometimes right? Bought my first lever action, a Henry .22 about 10 weeks ago. It was Christmas present for my son. Just a few days before I posted this thread I sent a text to my buddy of a Mad Pig Customs lever gun saying we need to build a couple. Feb 8 I picked up what is technically my second lever gun.

Fast forward to today.

Quit my job. We designed a series accessories for lever actions rifles. Tomorrow I'm headed to the range to test one of the prototypes. First pre-production parts should be here end of week.

I feel a lightness that I haven't felt in years. Fuck it, may fail, but hell that's always a chance and at least this way the ammo is a write off! :lmao:

Sorry to be a tease!

One: Shits proprietary and all that.
B: One snowstorm or what ever disaster, shits late and the pitchforks come out!
3: Not sure what I can post here before it's hawking shit without a star?

Fuck yeah. Good for you. Tacticool lever guns seem to be getting popular. I hope you guys make a mint!

Sharing some shit that about 10 people in the world know right now.

Life is crazy sometimes right? Bought my first lever action, a Henry .22 about 10 weeks ago. It was Christmas present for my son. Just a few days before I posted this thread I sent a text to my buddy of a Mad Pig Customs lever gun saying we need to build a couple. Feb 8 I picked up what is technically my second lever gun.

Fast forward to today.

Quit my job. We designed a series accessories for lever actions rifles. Tomorrow I'm headed to the range to test one of the prototypes. First pre-production parts should be here end of week.

I feel a lightness that I haven't felt in years. Fuck it, may fail, but hell that's always a chance and at least this way the ammo is a write off! :lmao:

Sorry to be a tease!

One: Shits proprietary and all that.
B: One snowstorm or what ever disaster, shits late and the pitchforks come out!
3: Not sure what I can post here before it's hawking shit without a star?
1 - a yellow star is now only $25 and a giveaway will cover that back to you

2 - unless i can buy your rifle now, it isn't hawking.

3 - is there an early buy in discount or something I need to know about? I want one :flipoff2:

1 - a yellow star is now only $25 and a giveaway will cover that back to you

2 - unless i can buy your rifle now, it isn't hawking.

3 - is there an early buy in discount or something I need to know about? I want one :flipoff2:
Thanks for the info!

You guys will be some of the first to see some sneak peeks for sure. We should be getting back some pre-production parts next week. Fingers crossed the design plays well with the process and materials. On paper everything pencils out, but there's a whole world of reality in between that and the final product.

Really trying to nail the release vs rushing. If we get the first parts back and they are fire, we'll start trickling out some teasers.

My 357 lever gun next to my AR pistol. If someone is making parts for these, they need to make a tube feed adapter. Even with the lighter Ranger Point loading gate and spring follower I can only load FMJ .Can only load a few hallow points or soft tip Hornady then shit gets hung up.
IMG_20210325_155403638_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh