What's new

Lets hit the dumbfuck sauce and build a stupid front axle( Shaved narrowed Dana 50)

What about making the hole bigger, at a better angle at the same time? Maybe use a weld-in insert for a fresh hole?

Last edited:
Those are link end spacers, steering ones are typically different for this exact reason.

I agree, it's much better now. I'd still figure out a more permanent way though.

Looks way better, give 'er a rip and see how it holds up.

And the 1/2" plate double shear plan is a good one too. Cut the arm, then add some side plate gussets to fill the distance under the arm.

Heat and twist the arm to improve heim operating angle?
I considered that, but I don't have Oxy Acetylene easily avaliable. I have a second set of knuckles that I may take to my dad's and heat and bend.

What about making the hole bigger, at a better angle at the same time? Maybe use a weld-in insert for a fresh hole?
That's pretty much what I did, I ground the slope out of the top and bottom and then took a reamer to open the hole up just enough the bolt could sit straight.

Those are link end spacers, steering ones are typically different for this exact reason.

I agree, it's much better now. I'd still figure out a more permanent way though.
Where can you get the steering type spacers? I only recall seeing this type on Barnes website.
I have a ride next weekend I'm wanting to make it to, so hopefully this is good enough for that. I have a second set of knuckles I'll clean up and build a double shear arm for and probably do hydro assist at the same time.

Looks way better, give 'er a rip and see how it holds up.

And the 1/2" plate double shear plan is a good one too. Cut the arm, then add some side plate gussets to fill the distance under the arm.

I'll report back after next weekend with the damage report haha

IMG_0931.jpg
$200 for the JHF kit too much? If at least copy it.

Or will it not clear 15s?

Don’t forget to add safety washers. Just needs to be some sort of washer larger than the hole in the heim should the ball pop out. One at the bolt head, the other at the nut. Right now, if a heim fails you’re gonna go for a ride.

IMG_0931.jpg
$200 for the JHF kit too much? If at least copy it.

Or will it not clear 15s?

I may go for the JHF kit, it looks good. But I have a bad habit of trying to fabricobble my own stuff. It will be tight with the 15s, but I think it would work.

I'm losing a little bit of steering angle due to the longer ears on the 50 knuckles, anybody happen to know of a longer pittman arm option that fits on the XJ box?

I recall a thread on the other forum or maybe NAXJA that explored some options, I think d44 swap guys had to do the same(maybe using a waggy arm?)

received_574427101070380.jpeg

So I got it out this weekend, got a good shakedown run in with few issues. Hit some local trails near me home town and them made the trip down to the Good Evening Ranch for a good beatdown.

The steering is an issue, as we all knew it would be :flipoff2:, definitely gonna have to do hydro assist and need to get the tie rod up higher as well.

Other than that I'm having some brake issues. When going up or down hill I have to pump the brakes to get anough pedal to stop. We crimped one of the front calipers off and had good pedal after that, which would seem to confirm that the stock XJ master cylinder doesn't move enough fluid for the much larger dual piston calipers. From a quick search it looks like a 99 2500 Ram van MC is the go-to swap, can anybody confirm?

Brakes were great before the swap, and the system was bled several times so I don't think that's the issue.

Nice to see you got it finished up.

Get on Rock Auto and figure out what the pistons area ratio was between the master and your front calipers on the Dana 30 and try to match that ratio with the new master cylinder and the Dana 50 calipers (assuming you were happy with your brakes before). A low ratio will give to harder brakes with less travel and will require more force to produce an equal amount of stopping power as a high ratio which will create longer travel, softer brakes.

Try playing around with the Billavista braking calculator to get a feel for how changes will affect the system. Brake Calculator

Also related: Billavista Brake Bible

Nice to see you got it finished up.

Get on Rock Auto and figure out what the pistons area ratio was between the master and your front calipers on the Dana 30 and try to match that ratio with the new master cylinder and the Dana 50 calipers (assuming you were happy with your brakes before). A low ratio will give to harder brakes with less travel and will require more force to produce an equal amount of stopping power as a high ratio which will create longer travel, softer brakes.

Try playing around with the Billavista braking calculator to get a feel for how changes will affect the system. Brake Calculator

Also related: Billavista Brake Bible

I'm gonna throw a 99 Dodge 2500 Van MC at it and see how it does, it seems like that's the common swap. Of that doesn't work then I will have to dig into it more and find something else.

Got a WJ pitman arm on the way too to try to get some steering angle back and I'm going to start on some high steer arms this week.

I'd like to do hydro assist soon too, if anybody has a 1.5x8" cylinder they don't need anymore shoot me a PM

Old thread with lots of information on it.
What year is your XJ? I did the WJ booster swap on my 89 Cherokee and a Dakota master won't fit the studs. Dakota is said to be just about the same size as the Ram 2500.

Just buy a PSC ram kit. It's expensive and nice to have it all at once. I'm not sure how much you'd save piecing used parts together then finding out the ram leaks.

Old thread with lots of information on it.
What year is your XJ? I did the WJ booster swap on my 89 Cherokee and a Dakota master won't fit the studs. Dakota is said to be just about the same size as the Ram 2500.

Just buy a PSC ram kit. It's expensive and nice to have it all at once. I'm not sure how much you'd save piecing used parts together then finding out the ram leaks.

Mines a 98 XJ

I think my brake booster is fine, when we crimped off flow to one caliper brakes worked fine afterwards, it seems like stock dosen't move enough fluid to satisfy the dual piston calipers. Stock XJ MC is a 1" bore and the van Cylinder is 1.25", so it should move more.

I'll have to see what it will cost to piece everything together. A ram with swivel eyes is about 120 bucks and I can't see hoses and fitting running more than another hundred.

Mines a 98 XJ

I think my brake booster is fine, when we crimped off flow to one caliper brakes worked fine afterwards, it seems like stock dosen't move enough fluid to satisfy the dual piston calipers. Stock XJ MC is a 1" bore and the van Cylinder is 1.25", so it should move more.

I'll have to see what it will cost to piece everything together. A ram with swivel eyes is about 120 bucks and I can't see hoses and fitting running more than another hundred.

I was going to say you were dumb for trying to piece it together until I clicked on it. $465 for that is pretty steep :laughing:

I was going to say you were dumb for trying to piece it together until I clicked on it. $465 for that is pretty steep :laughing:

The PSC kits are nice, but spendy. I bet a deal could be found that's better than Summit pricing.

The Trail Gear kits are functional but as their prices increase they become less and less of a value (same for all of their products).

For the savvy shopper, a Surplus Center cylinder and lines are a damn good deal...

received_574427101070380.jpeg

So I got it out this weekend, got a good shakedown run in with few issues. Hit some local trails near me home town and them made the trip down to the Good Evening Ranch for a good beatdown.

The steering is an issue, as we all knew it would be :flipoff2:, definitely gonna have to do hydro assist and need to get the tie rod up higher as well.

Other than that I'm having some brake issues. When going up or down hill I have to pump the brakes to get anough pedal to stop. We crimped one of the front calipers off and had good pedal after that, which would seem to confirm that the stock XJ master cylinder doesn't move enough fluid for the much larger dual piston calipers. From a quick search it looks like a 99 2500 Ram van MC is the go-to swap, can anybody confirm?

Brakes were great before the swap, and the system was bled several times so I don't think that's the issue.
How's the extra weight from that pig up front?

Do any go-fast bombing?

A little, not as much as i normally would since I still haven't put limit straps on it. I really don't want to fold the axle up backwards 🤣

From the little bit I did do I couldn't tell a huge difference, it still soaked up bumps pretty fair, even with the cheap generic monotubes(KYB I think)

A little, not as much as i normally would since I still haven't put limit straps on it. I really don't want to fold the axle up backwards 🤣

From the little bit I did do I couldn't tell a huge difference, it still soaked up bumps pretty fair, even with the cheap generic monotubes(KYB I think)
Word. I keep waffling on tons since I don't really see needing more than 35s with the trails I run here in SoCal. Since it's SoCal, half the shit is desert bombing, and tons weigh a fuckton, so curious if there's much difference in ride on a uni-Jeep.

Word. I keep waffling on tons since I don't really see needing more than 35s with the trails I run here in SoCal. Since it's SoCal, half the shit is desert bombing, and tons weigh a fuckton, so curious if there's much difference in ride on a uni-Jeep.
I did quite a bit of trail bombing with the d30when I would ride around with my golf cart buddies, it performed very well. This doesn't seem to have changed things for the worse as far as I can tell. And hopefully from now on out wheel bearings and balljoints won't be a yearly replaceable wear item

20220806_122603.jpg

What's everybody think on doing high steer something like this? It would correct all my joint geometry and mounting the drag link a little further back would give me back my steering angle.

Obviously there will be more gusseting and tie ins on the final product

What's everybody think on doing high steer something like this? It would correct all my joint geometry and mounting the drag link a little further back would give me back my steering angle.

Obviously there will be more gusseting and tie ins on the final product

The flatter the drag link the better. As long as you can package it with the "frame" :flipoff2: and all that.

You also need to take your panhard bar into consideration, or move it to be parallel with the drag link.

I don't see a problem with what you're thinking. May as well build a similar arm for the passenger side and raise the tie rod as much as you can also.

The flatter the drag link the better. As long as you can package it with the "frame" :flipoff2: and all that.

You also need to take your panhard bar into consideration, or move it to be parallel with the drag link.

I don't see a problem with what you're thinking. May as well build a similar arm for the passenger side and raise the tie rod as much as you can also.
It will clear the "frame"rail with about an inch to spare at full bump. And if I drop the frame side track bar down 1 bolt hole they will line up almost perfectly :smokin:

I'll definitely be doing something similar to the passenger knuckle too. I'm hoping to get everything lined out with this part of the project before I start on the hydro assist.

Top Back Refresh