What's new

Lets hit the dumbfuck sauce and build a stupid front axle( Shaved narrowed Dana 50)

Gunhand1

Member Number
Loc
Best Virginia
20210117_153652.jpg

Over the last couple years it's become more clear that the dirty 30 just isn't gonna cut it anymore, as much as I've tried to work around the numerous weaknesses. Between the Harlan trip cut short by a busted R&P and a pile of broken shafts(a new one nearly every trip) and constantly changing out worn parts I've finally had enough and decided to do something really dumb........I'm gonna build a dana 50 to run 35s and eventually 37s.

I obtained not one but 2 dana 50s for free from a buddy who wanted them out of his way. They have set at my house for 2 years while I pondered what to do with them. Finally I decided that they aren't worth much, so if I eff one up chopping it apart I won't feel too bad. So I cracked the top on a silver bullet and set to the work of measuring and figuring just what to do to this POS to make it fit the way I wanted.

Now I really like the way this jeep performs (when it holds together), on 35s I can crawl a lot of trails, squeeze through some tough spots with my narrow width, and it is killer at bombing down the trails. I don't really want to lose any more of those characteristics than I have to so I decided that narrowing it was gonna be on the table, and because I'm keeping the current 35s for the time being that big ole dana 60 sized chunk was gonna need dealt with.

So, Beer in hand, I set to work cutting brackets off and getting the C removed:
20220515_153118.jpg

I measured the balljoint spacing of the 30 and the 50 and then measured and compared the BJ center line to the WMS of each and decided they were sufficiently similar to work. The final number I came up with was removing 4.75" from the long side of the 50. ( I'll have to dig through my notebook and dredge up the other dimensions).
That said the tube was hacked to size and the C was "pressed" back on.

Next up is the housing. Dropped the 9" ring and carrier in and their is a ton of room around this thing ( WTF Ford/Dana). I laid a straight edge across the face of the housing and leveled it in relation to the tubes and, giving myself about 1/16" clearance below the ring I scribed a line, and got busy with the sawzall and grinder. An hour and 3 or 4 blades later the housing was cut and cleaned up:
20220515_154900.jpg

20220515_171730.jpg

Now we have to close the bottom up somehow( did I mention I've never done this before?)
I traced the rough shape I'd need out on cardboard and hooked up the Amazon plasma cutter. I decided to make this a 2 piece laminated plate, one that goes inside, and another that covers it from the bottom. I don't know if this is the right way or wrong way, but it's the way I did it. I preheated the housing and set to work with the metal glue gun, welding the upper plate both inside and outside the housing. Then I ground the bottom flat, fit the lower plate, added a little more heat, and re-commenced the gluing.

A little bit of work with the grinder and file to flatten it all out and this is where she sits:
20220517_203129.jpg

As it stands I managed to get the diff down to 4.75" from axle centerline on this heavy pig, which looks to be identical to a D30 (as best I could measure still in the jeep)

Hopefully by the end of the week I will have the diff cover figured out. And I'm gonna have to do some fitment work to make the 15" wheels fit( they should but it's tight).

Braniks website has a service for cutting/respline shafts, I'm gonna call them and make sure that the goofy necked down on these shafts won't be a problem. I'm reasonably sure that the stock shafts will live behind 35-37" tires and a tired 4.0, but time will tell. This is a budget build, obviously, but if I need to buy chromolys to keep wheeling I will.

The goal here is to keep this XJ on the trails and as trouble free as possible while I build a TJ on tons, and V8, and blah blah blah

Cool to see someone building a Dana 50 :beer:

Converting to 35 spline inners is something that has been discussed a lot, but I haven't seen anyone actually do it. Might be worth looking into. Supposedly you can get and ARB with 35 spline side gears swapped in since ARB uses the same spiders in similarly-sized diffs. I have also read that it is possible to use a Dana 44 carrier (which are available in 35 spline and fit a Dana 50 ring gear without modification) with Dana 44 carrier bearings (same outer race diameter as Dana 50 carrier bearings, but smaller ID to fit the Dana 44 carrier journals) along with some creative carrier shimming.

You could also look at getting the side gears of whatever carrier you decide to run EDMed to 35 spline, but that may be cost prohibitive..

Cool to see someone building a Dana 50 :beer:

Converting to 35 spline inners is something that has been discussed a lot, but I haven't seen anyone actually do it. Might be worth looking into. Supposedly you can get and ARB with 35 spline side gears swapped in since ARB uses the same spiders in similarly-sized diffs. I have also read that it is possible to use a Dana 44 carrier (which are available in 35 spline and fit a Dana 50 ring gear without modification) with Dana 44 carrier bearings (same outer race diameter as Dana 50 carrier bearings, but smaller ID to fit the Dana 44 carrier journals) along with some creative carrier shimming.

You could also look at getting the side gears of whatever carrier you decide to run EDMed to 35 spline, but that may be cost prohibitive..
Thanks man.

There's a ton of these axles floating around, but nobody does much with them. I figure if I can come up with a formula that makes use of some of the benefits and people can use them for an application that makes sense I'd be tickled to death. IMO they are a pretty fair alternative to a D44, better in basically every aspect save for ground clearance and weight (and I'm working on the solution to the first issue now).

I've researched a ton of threads and info of of other boards about the 35 spline conversion. Currently I don't think I need to go that route, but if I start having trouble I will look into it more. The cheapest option I know of is to turn down d60 side gears, bore the carrier a little and then weld it. ARB does make a 35spl locker, but that would double the cost of this little project and then some.

The d44 carrier angle has me intrigued though, I may have to ask around and see if I can source a 44 carrier to play with.

I would compare cost of shipping shafts there and back and respline charges with new shafts cut to 35 spline with shipping

I've always thought this exact thing would be a great in between a D44 and D60.

In reality, lots of older king pin axles had neck down shafts with the same diameter. Some guys run them for a long time without issues.

Most important thing is you have 1480 u joints and decent steering components. The rest can be upgraded later. :smokin:

I've always thought this exact thing would be a great in between a D44 and D60.

In reality, lots of older king pin axles had neck down shafts with the same diameter. Some guys run them for a long time without issues.

Most important thing is you have 1480 u joints and decent steering components. The rest can be upgraded later. :smokin:
Yeah. For a low power rig on 30-whatevers the "slightly better than 44" sized diff stuff shouldn't give much trouble.

The best part is that these things are considered scrap???? Figures it would be discovered and exploited here!!!!
Thanks for the chance!!!!

If you think your idea is dumb wait till you hear an idea I had for pair of those very axles.... Take 2 of them and narrow them both to use 4 short side shafts, place them under something about the size of that cub cadet then build a mini 4x4x4 backhoe out of it.

Yeah. For a low power rig on 30-whatevers the "slightly better than 44" sized diff stuff shouldn't give much trouble.
I'd say it should be fine up to maybe 40s, unless you really start putting power through it. Carl Jantz seems to think the R&P is a fair improvement over the standard HP44 stuff. If a fella really wanted to see what one of these oddball are capable of he supposedly has a load bolt figured out for the 50 casting, that may make it viable for more serious rigs, or at least for us poors who still want to get out on the cheap and not rebuild the diff 3 times a year.

I had an Excursion up until recently, and still have the XJ with a turdy under it and 35s. While I haven't eaten parts everywhere (knocks on wood), I've contemplated this more than twice. Thanks for being dipshit numero uno. I'll learn from your failure or success. :flipoff2:

BTW, a decently light XJ should be able to pull 35s along with the stock 4.30:1 ratio that comes in many of these axles... Not optimally, but not terrible either. I have 4.56s in mine and it does okay. 4.30 isn't that far off...

I'd prob keep the d50 30 spline, and go to alloys if i sustained breakage. Should handle the average v8 swapped jeep with a single tcase.

Fwiw, i run a locked 30spl 60 (alloys) in rear of a manual cummins truck.
Wonder if these will work?

I suspect that's going to make about a 65" wide axle... not 58" like the Exploder 8.8.

I'd prob keep the d50 30 spline, and go to alloys if i sustained breakage. Should handle the average v8 swapped jeep with a single tcase.

Fwiw, i run a locked 30spl 60 (alloys) in rear of a manual cummins truck.

I suspect that's going to make about a 65" wide axle... not 58" like the Exploder 8.8.
OP has a hacksaw, doesn't he? :flipoff2:

Might want to send them in to be cut down and re-splined while he's in there. Running mismatched wheels seems like a recipe for tears on the trail.

Hell yeah, I dig this.

If you're going to get shafts resplined, cut them to length yourself and ship out at least two for the work. Then you'll have a spare on hand and the shipping would only be marginally higher. I would try to run stock shafts if possible to keep it cheap.

LOL, definitely some dumbfuckery.

Wonder if these will work?

Probably would, if I start having 8.8 issues I may do a Super88 kit, but so far it's taken 4 years of abuse with zero complaints.

OP has a hacksaw, doesn't he? :flipoff2:

Might want to send them in to be cut down and re-splined while he's in there. Running mismatched wheels seems like a recipe for tears on the trail.
We doin poor shit over here man, the 5 lug stays :flipoff2: . I've got a couple spare tires, I'll change one over to 8 lug and keep it on the trailer with the 5 lug

Hell yeah, I dig this.

If you're going to get shafts resplined, cut them to length yourself and ship out at least two for the work. Then you'll have a spare on hand and the shipping would only be marginally higher. I would try to run stock shafts if possible to keep it cheap.

Current plan is to run cut down stockers. I've got to pull the shafts out of the other axle. IIRC Branik and Dutchman both say not to cut them before sending.

Any other options for re-spline jobs?

Probably would, if I start having 8.8 issues I may do a Super88 kit, but so far it's taken 4 years of abuse with zero complaints.

We doin poor shit over here man, the 5 lug stays :flipoff2: . I've got a couple spare tires, I'll change one over to 8 lug and keep it on the trailer with the 5 lug
Poor shit? Fuck extra tires, those cost money. Get yourself one of these and quit being a pussy. Money doesn't grow on trees.

:flipoff2:

When I was running a front 44 I never broke the shaft itself, it was always the joint that would blow up. That was on 36s and my make it or break it driving style.

When I was running a front 44 I never broke the shaft itself, it was always the joint that would blow up. That was on 36s and my make it or break it driving style.

That's what I always break on the 30, I've yet to break the shaft itself.

20220519_194226.jpg

This was tonight's activity, sliced the bottom of the cover off and welded in a piece of 1/2" for the bottom lip.

Not beautiful, but it's on there. If this works I'll either buy a fabricated D60 cover to cut and use or buy some plate and have my BIL cut the flange out on his CNC plasma table and fab the rest myself.

Either way, you'll probably want to drill/tap your plug on the bottom to add another bolt. Unless you're into automatic dust abatement on the trail. :flipoff2:

Either way, you'll probably want to drill/tap your plug on the bottom to add another bolt. Unless you're into automatic dust abatement on the trail. :flipoff2:

I'm trying to figure out how to add another bolt in the middle area, I think I'm gonna tap a piece of 1/2in plate and weld it inside off to the ring inside and add a tab on the cover to bolt it to

Top Back Refresh