What's new

Java's F450 RV

To trickle charge the battery, versus the way I have it done with the solenoid connecting them. Although I think it would connect them anyway? It's only voltage based
Maybe the solenoid took a shit...not charging the tk batteries at all...

I agree the agm vs lead acid charging profile is not that far apart...

If 1 battery takes a dump though..,it can bring down the 2nd battery.

Can you warranty the tk battery as it's only 2 yrs old.?....

And I would probably keep a separate charger on tk battery..iv had great luck with this one on a car

Has a desulfation trick ...kept my mustang battery fully charged that was on a lift for 4 yrs:homer:

Maybe the solenoid took a shit...not charging the tk batteries at all...

I agree the agm vs lead acid charging profile is not that far apart...

If 1 battery takes a dump though..,it can bring down the 2nd battery.

Can you warranty the tk battery as it's only 2 yrs old.?....

And I would probably keep a separate charger on tk battery..iv had great luck with this one on a car

Has a desulfation trick ...kept my mustang battery fully charged that was on a lift for 4 yrs:homer:
IDK Solenoid shows 0v when not connected, so I don't think that the issue, its rated for 600A.

Possible that one battery took the other out.

Not sure on warranty, I will find out soon!

IDK Solenoid shows 0v when not connected, so I don't think that the issue, its rated for 600A.

Possible that one battery took the other out.

Not sure on warranty, I will find out soon!

Problem is...it might show zero when it's supposed to switch over when house batteries are fully charged:laughing:

Problem is...it might show zero when it's supposed to switch over when house batteries are fully charged:laughing:
It does switch, because when the truck is running, I can see the current coming in from the alternators

On my motor home I had a magnum energy panel, that would show green if they were connected and Amber if disconnected and red if there was a problem...

Couple times I freaked out when it was plugged in and showed disconnected till I realized that the house and the coach batteries were both in float mode....:homer:

Or when the house was showing 15v....cause it was doing a 28 day desulfation boost:homer:

Maybe not? But the AGM and flooded profiles are not that far off. Just a higher peak voltage when bulk charging.

The charger is at the house battery bank. Could be? I am not sure to be honest.

IIRC there is a starting battery output on the charger, I just didnt want to run another wire :homer:

To trickle charge the battery, versus the way I have it done with the solenoid connecting them. Although I think it would connect them anyway? It's only voltage based

🤦‍♂️
Parallel charging two separate banks is pretty whack.

1677710915391.png

1677711052474.png

Last edited:
🤦‍♂️
Parallel charging two separate banks is pretty whack.

1677710915391.png

1677711052474.png
Cant disagree, but my solenoid connects anyway?

Even if I run the trickle line up from the victron, it will still connect as the house batteries charge?

Cant disagree, but my solenoid connects anyway?

Even if I run the trickle line up from the victron, it will still connect as the house batteries charge?
I'm lost as a fart in a whirl wind.
You have a vsr between banks? But you didn't want to run a wire to the starter bank? But if you ran the dedicated charge wire to the start side of the vsr you won't have to run the wire the whole way.

Is it a vsr? Just a solenoid you flip on with a switch?

Draw a napkin diagram.

I'm lost as a fart in a whirl wind.
You have a vsr between banks? But you didn't want to run a wire to the starter bank? But if you ran the dedicated charge wire to the start side of the vsr you won't have to run the wire the whole way.

Is it a vsr? Just a solenoid you flip on with a switch?

Draw a napkin diagram.
Its a Pathmaker 600, but basically a giant Ford style relay, with some basic controls as to what voltage to connect and disconnect at....

At 13.5ish it connects the banks, at ~13 it disconnects them. Super simple.

I can set it to auto, disconnected or jumper it to connected.

Its a Pathmaker 600, but basically a giant Ford style relay, with some basic controls as to what voltage to connect and disconnect at....

At 13.5ish it connects the banks, at ~13 it disconnects them. Super simple.

I can set it to auto, disconnected or jumper it to connected.
So leave it to disconnected?

It's purpose is to charge the house batteries?

Yes charge from the alternator when driving.

Also, nice not to have to run two cords when parked....
If you ran the multi plus start charge wire you wouldn't have two 120v cables.

For dc-dc charging you need to run something like the Orion unless you just want the current capacity for running the inverter etc. How much charge does the gx show you get from the truck?

All depends on the charging voltage and voltage drop. It's totally possible that the truck batteries were killed if charged at too high of a voltage.

All depends on the charging voltage and voltage drop. It's totally possible that the truck batteries were killed if charged at too high of a voltage.
Hmmm I'll stick a meter on them next time. I see 15v ish max when the house batteries are cold

If you ran the multi plus start charge wire you wouldn't have two 120v cables.

For dc-dc charging you need to run something like the Orion unless you just want the current capacity for running the inverter etc. How much charge does the gx show you get from the truck?
At idle 90amps or so. Driving is 150 ish when they are dead.

At idle 90amps or so. Driving is 150 ish when they are dead.
So you can control this "auto" solenoid with a remote switch, put it in OFF when parked run your charge wire to the nearest location on the start side of the VSR. If your cabling can handle 150 amps it should be fine at 4 amps.

So you can control this "auto" solenoid with a remote switch, put it in OFF when parked run your charge wire to the nearest location on the start side of the VSR. If your cabling can handle 150 amps it should be fine at 4 amps.
Yes that could be workable! The cable is 2/0 so 4 amps should be fine :lmao:

They should still be charging....

True.

And the house batteries were toasted. Not charging from the alts.... Idk. Will. Need to dig a. Bit
Maybe I didn't explain but due to the significant difference in internal resistance from agm to lead acid the house batts might be over charged.

Separating the trickle will be a huge step, but how do you know you are charging the house batts at the correct rate/volts etc. ?

Maybe I didn't explain but due to the significant difference in internal resistance from agm to lead acid the house batts might be over charged.

Separating the trickle will be a huge step, but how do you know you are charging the house batts at the correct rate/volts etc. ?
Yes I understood. I will see if I can run another wire to the start Batts at some point soon.

House Batts are charged by the victron multiplus. It's on their AGM profile, which is extremely close to the full river specs.

Top Back Refresh