What's new

It's All About The Little Details---Trailers Flatbeds and Tow Rigs

fwiw the bradford built flat bed i installed a few months ago looked nice but it was built very cheap/weak, some of the cross members underneath didnt even extend to the outer edge, and the sheet metal deck was built so that it was also the outer edge(deck was folded over to be the side) where the fold down side rails were welded to with no reinforcement of any kind. im used to overbuilding flat beds myself so maybe im just a flat bed snob :laughing:

it was nice but just seemed pretty weak
While under it having to weld on brackets to bolt it to the frame i wasn't super impressed with that brand either.

Not really sure where else to put this.

Lost another wheel bearing this past weekend. I always keep a length of chain and a shackle just for this purpose. Drive the wheel with the bad bearing up onto a block or a rock to heavily load that side of the equalizer. Then double wrap your chain like so and then pull the wheel off the bad bearing. Voila, good to go.

If it's not obvious, the chained up axle keeps the other tire from stuffing into the trailer deck. Also keeps the leaf spring from bottoming out on the frame.

Obviously you need axle capacity to pull this off. In my case the trailer originally had a single 2000 lbs axle. I replaced with the tandem 3500 lbs axles, so even when I'm down to one, it's still plenty of beef.

P2023771.JPG

Lost another wheel bearing this past weekend. I always keep a length of chain and a shackle just for this purpose. Drive the wheel with the bad bearing up onto a block or a rock to heavily load that side of the equalizer. Then double wrap your chain like so and then pull the wheel off the bad bearing. Voila, good to go.

If it's not obvious, the chained up axle keeps the other tire from stuffing into the trailer deck. Also keeps the leaf spring from bottoming out on the frame.

Obviously you need axle capacity to pull this off. In my case the trailer originally had a single 2000 lbs axle. I replaced with the tandem 3500 lbs axles, so even when I'm down to one, it's still plenty of beef.

P2023771.JPG
I remember another thread where guys discussed bolting a complete spare axle up in front or somewhere underneath the trailer.

I remember another thread where guys discussed bolting a complete spare axle up in front or somewhere underneath the trailer.
That or a loaded spindle stub from the stub to the lug nuts (everything you would weld into a pipe to make an axle) to hold your spare.

Aaron Z

Lots of desert racers and Ultra4 teams do that with their trailers. That way they have exactly what they need when they need it.

That’s a good idea. Sloppy, but it works. Lord knows every Mason dump out there has a dent on the top of the tailgate from swinging down and hitting the hitch.

Dont know what they are called and have only been seeing them on 22 and 23 Year model CHEVY / GMC trucks I call them foot holds or foot holes, they are on the sides of fleetside truck beds between the cab and wheel center.

P2023771.JPG

Have you considered maybe servicing your bearings every now and then instead? :flipoff2:

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread for this, but I think some might find this interesting.

Weld it yourself flatbed kit with a ton of options.

Just built one of these. i love it. beware, the materials list INCLUDES material to build a table as a jig. i ended up buying way more metal than needed. not a terrible thing to have but just an FYI as i missed it in the fine print.

Top Back Refresh