What's new

It's All About The Little Details---Trailers Flatbeds and Tow Rigs

I've been meaning to do the spare tire winch on my trailer for years. This is just the motivation I nee... nope, still lazy :rolleyes:

Nissans use a chain instead of a cable on their spare tire winches. Probably go with one of those versus a cable style.

The spare tire winches are a must! I think one of mine is from a Dakota and the other some type of dodge minivan
The square roll cage feet pates are what the winches bolt to,
The bolt sticking out is the control of the winch, I just welded a bolt to the pipe, same size as the lug nuts.

A few other things, the lights before that tire winch are on a three way switch, they come on with reverse, or can just stay on.
I like them for reverse lighting on the side of trailer and I park it up close against my fence.
Below the light you see 2" receiver, I have a step that goes there (I had a cabover camber, and step up that then walk across the tool box ramp to get into the camper), it's nice to have that step illuminated.

Because of the cabover I also put my winch below the deck and welded in more crossmembers to support it. It's not an ideal pulling angle, but it works and the winch is out of the way for the most part.

The 3rd spare tire if just bolted under the tongue part of the trailer, I like spare tires.
trailer2.jpg
trailer1.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg
trailer1.jpg

trailer4.jpg

trailer4.jpg

I like that undermount winch. It's just bolted to those plates, sandwiching the deck boards?

The winch is bolting to some cross memebers I added between the stock trailer frame, but then sandwiches the deck boards

Nothing ground breaking, but this past summer I welded on a nice big nut on the corner of my hitch. Push bolt jams the hitch in both directions.

Also tapped a hole and added a forged lifting lug. Nice and easy chain attachment, but yes I`m fucked if the hitch pin falls out.

Edit: Oh, and that fucking ball is stainless and has only been on the van since June 2020.

Click image for larger version Name:	P1150002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	450.3 KB ID:	295821

Click image for larger version Name:	P1150004.JPG Views:	0 Size:	443.1 KB ID:	295822

Been using (and love) the kayak trailer from post #1. I've had to modify it for a couple new kayaks with extra long cockpits (wilderness systems Pungos).

I've also upgraded the pool noodles to actual kayak foam blocks which work much, much better. I was originally loading the boats upright, but was damaging the V of the hulls so now I am loading them upside down and all is well.

My boats are rubbing on the posts as shown in the pic below. The tubing is 1x1 and 2x2.

Any suggestions on what I could put there to protect the boats (something nicer than wrapping rubber tape...)?

P5310052.jpg

Slices of roofing rubber or a big tire inner tube held on with zip ties.

I don’t want to start a new thread so looking for flat bed ideas. It seems almost every picture I see online shows 95% shit looking designs. Anyone recommended? I’ve seen a local guy running around with a roundish flatbed and like the looks of it. My buddy’s first gen 12V also has a nice looking flatbed.

it’ll be going on a square body.

I love stuff like this, to the point that I obsess about functionality and ease of use when I build a truck or trailer. I’ll post some more, but here’s my favorite flatbed looks wise.

1B25AEDC-7A0A-4430-8DD0-79D2C1B674FA.jpeg

Some ideas I plan to use when I build one:

1. Slots in the top of the headache rack with hand knobs to carry chainsaws by the bars.
2. A back wall on the headache rack that creates a pocket for holding a pair of ramps
3. Those same ramps can slide in to create besides for hauling firewood, bags of concrete, etc.
4. E-track pockets on the back wall of the headache rack to allow tying down 5 gallon buckets and gas cans.

I love stuff like this, to the point that I obsess about functionality and ease of use when I build a truck or trailer. I’ll post some more, but here’s my favorite flatbed looks wise.

1. Slots in the top of the headache rack with hand knobs to carry chainsaws by the bars.
2. A back wall on the headache rack that creates a pocket for holding a pair of ramps
3. Those same ramps can slide in to create besides for hauling firewood, bags of concrete, etc.
4. E-track pockets on the back wall of the headache rack to allow tying down 5 gallon buckets and gas cans.
Have any more pics of that setup?

Only a couple tie down points. Bed doesn't look like it dumps. Rack takes up twice as much space as it needs to. Rim/tire choice and hitch/bumper seem perfectly positioned for making life difficult if you're trying to load an objects that's too big for the forklift you're using (this is the one that would piss me off the most if I had to use it everyday). Doesn't look very functional for the work involved in building it but I guess it's a step up from a sheetmetal bed.

I'd rather have a crashed and bent back rollback body or a simple commercial flatbed with D-rings or weld on winches down the side.

Have any more pics of that setup?

Looks like they are updating their website, but lots of them here under the main “photos” tab.

The spare tire winches are a must! I think one of mine is from a Dakota and the other some type of dodge minivan
The square roll cage feet pates are what the winches bolt to,
The bolt sticking out is the control of the winch, I just welded a bolt to the pipe, same size as the lug nuts.

A few other things, the lights before that tire winch are on a three way switch, they come on with reverse, or can just stay on.
I like them for reverse lighting on the side of trailer and I park it up close against my fence.
Below the light you see 2" receiver, I have a step that goes there (I had a cabover camber, and step up that then walk across the tool box ramp to get into the camper), it's nice to have that step illuminated.

Because of the cabover I also put my winch below the deck and welded in more crossmembers to support it. It's not an ideal pulling angle, but it works and the winch is out of the way for the most part.

The 3rd spare tire if just bolted under the tongue part of the trailer, I like spare tires.

I've always wanted reverse lights on a trailer. You pretty much never see it, and the wire is there :homer:

Winch idea is interesting. I just got a large tilt deck with a 12k winch on the front of the deck. I'm not a fan and I may extend the deck up a bit since there is room for it. I probably can't do a hawes with a 12k and steel cable. But a roller might work. Or get tricky with a snatch block and drop in piece.....

Edit: Oh, and that fucking ball is stainless and has only been on the van since June 2020.

Thats from the trailer. The mild sticks to the stainless and rusts.

Try using it more :flipoff2:

Spring loaded catch for the ramp arms that lock back into the ramps when folded down. Drop down load leg. 22' trailer, 18' of wood and 2 foot of diamond plate on the flat and 2' on the dove, makes it much nicer to only have to buy 18' boards to replace the deck. Other than the paint starting to flake off of the fenders where they didn't quite get them cleaned, nothing I don't like about my Titan 14K trailer.

20210223_100109.jpg

I've always wanted reverse lights on a trailer. You pretty much never see it, and the wire is there

I put backup lights on every trailer we own. On my gooseneck I have a pair of loading lights on the neck that I put on a three way switch so they will come on with the reverse lights in addition to being able to use them for loading or working on my junk.

Duane

Here’s a couple shots from a 7x16 7k trailer I redid for my best friend years ago. We added 2x2 angle between the vertical parts of the rails to make it easy to strap stuff down. Also added 4 D rings to use vehicle straps. I made some tail light boxes to keep the lights safe then added some nice wiring, all LED marker lights and reverse lights. We coated the trailer with Chassis saver and then Monstaliner.
18ADDEE1-76F8-4F36-B210-3B7EBE6BBA99.jpeg
089804E9-B295-4B76-9958-C710579A2119.jpeg
7707D848-E9BF-4DC0-BEC0-D5ECCE626635.jpeg
DE52140E-61BE-4278-AEB8-260E2FA75E5A.jpeg
F15C42E5-6345-4CA0-BB39-D03DB28A36F3.jpeg
DFE12BAD-2F24-4B06-8031-E02F027E7868.jpeg
2830F8D4-EA73-4853-A0EA-FD60391AEA75.jpeg

Here’s a couple shots from a 7x16 7k trailer I redid for my best friend years ago. We added 2x2 angle between the vertical parts of the rails to make it easy to strap stuff down. Also added 4 D rings to use vehicle straps. I made some tail light boxes to keep the lights safe then added some nice wiring, all LED marker lights and reverse lights. We coated the trailer with Chassis saver and then Monstaliner.
]
2830F8D4-EA73-4853-A0EA-FD60391AEA75.jpeg
have a link to those little pod lites? Or a pic of them on at night? i like the size, thinking for my tractor

have a link to those little pod lites? Or a pic of them on at night? i like the size, thinking for my tractor
They were just a couple we picked up from amazon. nothing special really, they are flood pattern and they light things up pretty good. my next one will have more reverse lights for sure but those two alone are much better than none at all.

I put backup lights on every trailer we own. On my gooseneck I have a pair of loading lights on the neck that I put on a three way switch so they will come on with the reverse lights in addition to being able to use them for loading or working on my junk.

Duane
I added some cheap Amazon LED pod lights to the neck of my gooseneck this spring.. runs off the charge circuit on the 7way cord so the truck needs to be plugged in for the lights to work but if I am loading the trailer in the dark then the truck will be hooked up. I think I am into it for less $40 for lights and water resistant toggle switch. made loading up and strapping down the SXSs in the dark on vacation a helluva lot easier.

I don’t want to start a new thread so looking for flat bed ideas. It seems almost every picture I see online shows 95% shit looking designs. Anyone recommended? I’ve seen a local guy running around with a roundish flatbed and like the looks of it. My buddy’s first gen 12V also has a nice looking flatbed.

it’ll be going on a square body.
I work for a truck equipment manufacturer but we build square shit. We are about 10 steps up from your normal on the yard flatbed that everybody has. We have a good name in the business for such a small company. Figured you want to build your own but maybe you’ll find some inspiration

62D4CB4F-814D-43E0-A484-BC60A25CDB3E.jpeg
3CC915D6-3556-4A03-ABDB-724B32890B6B.jpeg

Those are pretty:smokin:

I personally like a taper behind the cab, even if it's a 45 from cab width to drw width, looks clean, cuts wind drag, and makes gate posts and bollards lean over instead of wiping out the truck and or ripping them out of the ground:laughing:

I like the running/taillights that are sunk in. Not that the lights themselves are expensive, just that a busted light from backing into a pole or something stupid just before heading out is a pain that could be avoided.

Those are pretty:smokin:

I personally like a taper behind the cab, even if it's a 45 from cab width to drw width, looks clean, cuts wind drag, and makes gate posts and bollards lean over instead of wiping out the truck and or ripping them out of the ground:laughing:
Bonus points if your rock sliders overlap with the bed so it's a nice clean transition from slider to bed without touching sheet metal. :laughing:

Not long ago I helped a buddy mount a new flatbed on his Dodge that looked very much like this, with the flip down sides and all, might have even been this brand, I'll look for pics and add them in if I can find any.
Edit, ok not the same brand. I thought it was a pretty cool flatbed though for what it is. I'd rather have a service body, but I haul too many goosenecks at work, so I guess something like this is what I'd have to pick as well if i got rid of my stock bed.
241740490_6178684308870622_642646869378015999_n.jpg

Not long ago I helped a buddy mount a new flatbed on his Dodge that looked very much like this, with the flip down sides and all, might have even been this brand, I'll look for pics and add them in if I can find any.
Edit, ok not the same brand. I thought it was a pretty cool flatbed though for what it is. I'd rather have a service body, but I haul too many goosenecks at work, so I guess something like this is what I'd have to pick as well if i got rid of my stock bed.

Depending on how deep your wallet is, several companies make low side service bodies for trucks that haul goosenecks. Pulled this image from a quick google search "gooseneck service body."

Product_Gallery_Sliders_2020_UTILITY_2.jpg

Duane

Anyone have experience with aluminum flat deck beds? Wondering if it's worth the extra cost. I love the durability of my steel deck bed, but saving some weight wouldn't be a bad thing.

I work for a truck equipment manufacturer but we build square shit. We are about 10 steps up from your normal on the yard flatbed that everybody has. We have a good name in the business for such a small company. Figured you want to build your own but maybe you’ll find some inspiration

We have one of your beds, real fuckin nice. its lasted well.

fwiw the bradford built flat bed i installed a few months ago looked nice but it was built very cheap/weak, some of the cross members underneath didnt even extend to the outer edge, and the sheet metal deck was built so that it was also the outer edge(deck was folded over to be the side) where the fold down side rails were welded to with no reinforcement of any kind. im used to overbuilding flat beds myself so maybe im just a flat bed snob :laughing:

it was nice but just seemed pretty weak

Top Back Refresh