What's new

Is this where we discuss "the talk" with our parrents?

6° isn't horrible

Not at all, but every rig is different. I don't believe in a magic number for all rigs, especially crawlers. Which is why I said try, I assume he has adjustable upper link/s, so it should be extremely easy to dial a few more degrees in.

Also, are you setting toe with the tires off the ground to eliminate sidewall deflection? The way Wilson showed me, eliminates any variables.

Axle on Jack stands

Put a piece of tape or paint pen mark on each tire

Measure front, roll tire 180* and measure again.

Maybe everyone knows that, but it was new to me a few years ago.

Not at all, but every rig is different. I don't believe in a magic number for all rigs, especially crawlers. Which is why I said try, I assume he has adjustable upper link/s, so it should be extremely easy to dial a few more degrees in.

Also, are you setting toe with the tires off the ground to eliminate sidewall deflection? The way Wilson showed me, eliminates any variables.

Axle on Jack stands

Put a piece of tape or paint pen mark on each tire

Measure front, roll tire 180* and measure again.

Maybe everyone knows that, but it was new to me a few years ago.

Never done it that way... just ASSumed that with street pressure there was no deflection half way up the tire. I will drive back and forth 20' or so a few times to get everything sitting straight

Never done it that way... just ASSumed that with street pressure there was no deflection half way up the tire. I will drive back and forth 20' or so a few times to get everything sitting straight

It's probably over kill, but I think measuring from the tape or mark is the important part, rather than guessing which lug corner is the same or whatever.

What are you running for street pressure? On my wifes JKUR the Coopers seem to drive and wear best at 28psi front and 26psi rear with 9" wide beadlocks.

What are you running for street pressure? On my wifes JKUR the Coopers seem to drive and wear best at 28psi front and 26psi rear with 9" wide beadlocks.
Good to know, it was at 40 from the tire shop and I went to 32 when i aired back up over the weekend.

I drove it 100 miles into work today and the shitty steering wheel wobble seemed to get progressively worse on the way in. I meed to give everything a once over anyway before i drive home

Good to know, it was at 40 from the tire shop and I went to 32 when i aired back up over the weekend.

I drove it 100 miles into work today and the shitty steering wheel wobble seemed to get progressively worse on the way in. I meed to give everything a once over anyway before i drive home

I wonder if you would get instant death wobble if you removed the assist cylinder. Me thinks the steering cylinder may be masking a bigger problem.

I wonder if you would get instant death wobble if you removed the assist cylinder. Me thinks the steering cylinder may be masking a bigger problem.
Thats kinda what i was thinking... that it has to be damping some. I just did a quick bolt check on the steering, box, and trac bar. Everything seems tight. Now that i think about it ive never checked the links for tightness or to see that the holes in the brackets arnt all wallowed out

New theory which im going to go check when i get some motivation is that the 6* caster was the max it wanted and when i sacked out the back adding 500+lbs of bumper, tire carrier, 40" tire, tools, and arb cooler it changed the caster + took weight off the front enough to make it not happy.

Going to try 5ish loaded and try to get a better mesurement of toe-in

Death wobble from too much castor is pretty rare, I ran 12* on my 4runner with good luck.

Like you said, check the toe, maybe rotate the tires for shits and giggles. Unlikely, but maybe one is off balance or a lemon.

You run beadlocks or the steel wheels that were on it?

S
Death wobble from too much castor is pretty rare, I ran 12* on my 4runner with good luck.

Like you said, check the toe, maybe rotate the tires for shits and giggles. Unlikely, but maybe one is off balance or a lemon.

You run beadlocks or the steel wheels that were on it?

So the battereys were dead in my digital angle finder and i found my mechanical one rusted solid in a bucket of water and pine needles.... so no camber adjustments today

I did get all fancy with line lasers and shit and my toe in was 1-3/4" not sure if something moved/bent/whatever last weekend wheeling or if it was just my fuckup. Anyhow got it to 5/8 and it drives pretty good. No more death wobble but still excessively twitchy.... as in suden wandering. Not so much i cant drive it 40 down my 2 lane rd safely but i wouldnt put my mom behind the wheel either.

Im running the steel wheels still. A rear one is pretty banged up but i had a friend follow me and he said i didnt have anything wobbling like a bent wheel.

It does fit nicely in my shipping container

20210919_133430.jpg

5/8 is quite a bit isn't it? I've always done like 1/8" on street stuff and about 1/4" on bigger tires.

More castor would help with darting.

Any mention more castor yet? :laughing:

So i spent 4 days on the con last weekend and had a pretty uneventful trip. The jeep went everywhere i pointed it and hardly slipped a tire even in the rain.
Loaded down with the hardtop on it the rear rode on the bumps hard. I actually liked the stance a lot more and how stable it was that low. It still stuffs the tires all the way so if i go lower i will need to trim significantly more.
Screenshot_20211012-102807_Samsung Internet.jpg
20211008_165621.jpg
20211008_084222.jpg
20211008_163039.jpg

Coming down the steep hill towards the springs i managed to smash the end of a valve stem and loose about 5psi in the front right. That put me at 14 on 3 tires and 9 on that one... which ment i wasnt able to air up on the tahoe side before driving hwy 50 back to loon. Well it was by far the best its ever driven and handled steering wise which leads me to belive SLOWPOKE693 was onto something earlier in this thread when he told me to drop the pressure in the tires. Im going to fix the valve stem this weekend and play around with it.

28psi in the fronts, 26 in the rears is what I run.

I checked with 45acp before I started driving it at 75-80mph down the highway with tires that low so I didn't kill a bus load of nuns. :laughing:

How are you liking the Coopers so far?

28psi in the fronts, 26 in the rears is what I run.
Settle down there Stay Puff... no need to run OTR pressure in 'em. :flipoff2:
I'm usually 24/22 on the street in my crawler (load E 37's) and it still feels a little high... but I've got the shocks valved on the stiff side @ street psi
I love my Coopers, it just sucks the price went up so much...
Fuck you man I got kids to feed :flipoff2:

Well ive offically taken part in more circle jerks and butt seks then i could handle... so the jeep has officially been handed off to @jeff555

Eyeing a new project?

Gotta just button up a few loose ends on my samurai and get a 3rd seat in it. I enjoy wheeling that 100x more and eventually my bronco should show up for the more mild family trips.

Honestly the jeep was great, but knowing i wasnt keeping it long term I was always scared id break or smash something that would substantially hurt its resale.

Gotta just button up a few loose ends on my samurai and get a 3rd seat in it. I enjoy wheeling that 100x more and eventually my bronco should show up for the more mild family trips.

Honestly the jeep was great, but knowing i wasnt keeping it long term I was always scared id break or smash something that would substantially hurt its resale.

3rd seat? You planning on leaving the wife at home? :laughing::flipoff2:

3rd seat? You planning on leaving the wife at home? :laughing::flipoff2:
Thats exactly my plan. After cartwheeling a samurai in spectacular fashon with her in it 14 years ago she still has no desire to wheel again. I was hoping that would change with a comfy jeep but it didnt.

The 3 year old was actually happiest to see it go because he prefers the samurai even more then i do.

Anyhow the samurai got drug out of the hole it broke down in months back and i started cleaning it up. Ill have to start a new thread in the samurai forum for it as there are going to be a few changes and a decent amount of work going into it

Attachments

• 20211121_153040.jpg
    20211121_153040.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
Top Back Refresh