What's new

Is this where we discuss "the talk" with our parrents?

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
Just drug this turd home and i know absolutly zero about them.... Id never been in a jeep newer then a 91 yj before this purchase..

So anything i need to know?
How many more light bars can i fit on the hood?
How many dudes can circle jerk at 1 time in the back seat?

2011 rubicon
Stock powertrain
2008 superduty front 538s arb
2011 superduty rear Grizzly locker
Some sort of 4-5" aluminum short arm lift
Hydro assist
40" sticky nittos (going to sell to purchase non sticky tires)
Full cage

So i was told a hard top will for sure bolt on but a soft top may need some mounts on the back of the cage. Do they have a factory hood that supports the back that i may need? Do i just order whatever cheapo full soft top on amazon?

What tires should i buy? Going to be used for wheeling and driving to the trails anywhere from 30 minutes to 5hrs from home.
Whats currently available seem to be
40" creepy crawlers $600ish
40" mtrs $550ish
42" mtrs $550ish
40" Patagonias $450ish
Used but newer 40" treps $500ish

What else if anything do i need to know about this turd? Im kinda hoping to just jump in and go. I dont plan on beating the crap out of it or really taking it anywhere stupid. I figure if it takes any effort beyond point and shoot i probably shouldnt be doing it in my family rig.
20210730_170645.jpg
20210730_191015.jpg

Buy the same tires but dot. Also, check that they're actually stickies, I think some people just say "stickies" now a days.

Wouldn't do bias tires for what you want.

Mtr's can be good, but have a bad reputation for weak sidewalls and are often hard or impossible to get ahold of.

Grizzly rear is a bummer. Not sure how you feel about auto lockers, but I'm not a fan of them in the rear. Put it in your SD and put an arb or ox in the jeep :flipoff2:

Buy the same tires but dot. Also, check that they're actually stickies, I think some people just say "stickies" now a days.

Wouldn't do bias tires for what you want.

Mtr's can be good, but have a bad reputation for weak sidewalls and are often hard or impossible to get ahold of.

Grizzly rear is a bummer. Not sure how you feel about auto lockers, but I'm not a fan of them in the rear. Put it in your SD and put an arb or ox in the jeep :flipoff2:
I dont even know what a Grizly locker is, lol. I prefer spools but it is what it is for now.

Yes they are stickys and i havnt been able to find the non sticky counterpart in stock anywhere when it comes to actually calling

Not sure of a soft top will fit with the C pillar bars like that. On my wifes 16 the C pillars are slanted back and the top frame/pivot bolts to that. On your new Jeep there isn't cage where the top bolts on...

Whatever tires you decide on need to go on a set of Dookey 's bad ass wheels. :smokin:

40" Cooper STT Pros. Awesome street and wheeling tires and at least $100 ea less that what you listed above. Walmart.com is where I buy mine from.

Grizzly is a Yukon "Detroit"

Spools suck when you have $2k+ in tires and a lot of street driving.

Nitto/toyo seem to be good for road, weekend warrior, heavy but super tough.

Otherwise pick some cheaper ones, cooper's, bro comps, maybe Patagonias.

Is this the "car with a loan" for $26k or whatever?

Grizzly is a Yukon "Detroit"

Spools suck when you have $2k+ in tires and a lot of street driving.

Nitto/toyo seem to be good for road, weekend warrior, heavy but super tough.

Otherwise pick some cheaper ones, cooper's, bro comps, maybe Patagonias.

Is this the "car with a loan" for $26k or whatever?
Yes, 25. Was going to be 23 without the tires but im hoping i can get more then 2k for 5 99.9% stickys in todays market

40" Cooper STT Pros. Awesome street and wheeling tires and at least $100 ea less that what you listed above. Walmart.com is where I buy mine from.

What do those actually measure ?

Patagonias, I've been running 37X13.5X20's on my Tundra and was really happy for the first 18K miles, then they started wearing all choppy and became hard to keep balanced. Probably get 25K out of them but kinda disappointed, wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to pay to get them balanced so much. Otherwise I get too much shake in the steering .

What do those actually measure ?

Patagonias, I've been running 37X13.5X20's on my Tundra and was really happy for the first 18K miles, then they started wearing all choppy and became hard to keep balanced. Probably get 25K out of them but kinda disappointed, wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to pay to get them balanced so much. Otherwise I get too much shake in the steering .

New they measure 39 and change. Not quite 40" but not "small" either.

I'd be pissed if I only got 25k out of a set of tires!! The 37" STT Pros (load range E) that were on there before the 40s went 32k before I took them off and sold them. These 40s are going 45k miles and will need to be replaced before winter because I'm lazy and don't rotate them enough.

New they measure 39 and change. Not quite 40" but not "small" either.

I'd be pissed if I only got 25k out of a set of tires!! The 37" STT Pros (load range E) that were on there before the 40s went 32k before I took them off and sold them. These 40s are going 45k miles and will need to be replaced before winter because I'm lazy and don't rotate them enough.

They are cheap @ 260ish a tire so a 480.00 tire that goes 45K is kind of a wash I guess. These ride great and do really well on wet pavement and heavy rain.

Thanks for the info

Not sure of a soft top will fit with the C pillar bars like that. On my wifes 16 the C pillars are slanted back and the top frame/pivot bolts to that. On your new Jeep there isn't cage where the top bolts on...

Whatever tires you decide on need to go on a set of Dookey 's bad ass wheels. :smokin:

The cheapest im finding 40" sst pros seems to be $480... am i searching poorly?

Yes, 25. Was going to be 23 without the tires but im hoping i can get more then 2k for 5 99.9% stickys in todays market
Should be able to pretty easily.

If you want a slightly smaller/lighter tire. There is the 39 kanati mud hog (og mtr rip off) and 39 bfg km3.

Severely underpowered. They're barely manageable in stock trim. I had a '10 JKUR and found it a solid meh.

Severely underpowered. They're barely manageable in stock trim. I had a '10 JKUR and found it a solid meh.

You couldn't pay me to drive a 3.8L Wrangler in any form. Severely underpowered is being nice about it.

I didn't realize OP's new to him Jeep was a 3.8L.... Good luck, your gonna hate it.

Mine is on tons with 4.10 gears and 37s. About the same power as an 8 valve Geo Tracker. LS swapping will fix that and you don't have to worry about axles.

You couldn't pay me to drive a 3.8L Wrangler in any form. Severely underpowered is being nice about it.

I didn't realize OP's new to him Jeep was a 3.8L.... Good luck, your gonna hate it.

Hmm, doesnt seem bad to me. It seems to hold 65 up the hills fine. But its also not my dd, just a toy to take the family wheeling/camping.

Was it build for a deaf guy?

Edit:
Also, a set of 41.5x13.5 pit bull rocker radials would be a pretty good match for you. They’re tough and I’m at about 40k so far with the 37s on my fj80 with some decent life left in them.

Pretty ignorant about jeep gang things, what do the hand signs on hood mean?

Does the sterling clear the gas tank? There have been known issues with the sterling hitting the back of fuel tank during flex.

Was it build for a deaf guy?

Edit:
Also, a set of 41.5x13.5 pit bull rocker radials would be a pretty good match for you. They’re tough and I’m at about 40k so far with the 37s on my fj80 with some decent life left in them.

Those are pretty good tires. I had a set, and my buddy runs them on his 6500lb jk. They are huge though and don't wear well on the street.

As far as the 3.8, just wait until you get the fam and 3 days worth of stuff loaded :flipoff2:

But zuk guys are used to no power, so any power seems good.

Not all sterlings hit the gas tank, or skids, because mine doesn’t. 1350 U joints and BFH massage, and it is all good. As for me, mine is my daily, but if I am going more than a couple of hours, it is going on the trailer.

Those are pretty good tires. I had a set, and my buddy runs them on his 6500lb jk. They are huge though and don't wear well on the street.

As far as the 3.8, just wait until you get the fam and 3 days worth of stuff loaded :flipoff2:

But zuk guys are used to no power, so any power seems good.
Interesting. I’ve actually been really impressed with the highway wear of mine. I just checked and they went on right at 160k and it’s at 198k now so almost 38000 mi so far with a usable 5kish left on the fronts. Had I not been too lazy to rotate them I would have a significant amount more life in them I’m sure as the rears are still pretty good. My rig is 6200 completely empty with just me driving. I wonder if there is a difference between the 37s and 41s that would cause the accelerated wear.

Interesting. I’ve actually been really impressed with the highway wear of mine. I just checked and they went on right at 160k and it’s at 198k now so almost 38000 mi so far with a usable 5kish left on the fronts. Had I not been too lazy to rotate them I would have a significant amount more life in them I’m sure as the rears are still pretty good. My rig is 6200 completely empty with just me driving. I wonder if there is a difference between the 37s and 41s that would cause the accelerated wear.
Ya, its called a 6.2LS :laughing:
Ended up getting 4 42mtrs out of texas and one coming out of main... now to figure out the top
Hope you got some type of warranty with them. Everyone I know with them has sidewalled multiple tires.

The worst part is not being able to find a replacement.

Top Back Refresh