What's new

Irate excavation experts, step inside

Not sure about your area but they have been begging and stealing to get any septic tanks for the last few years around me. Local placy hates polly but installed 4 last year because that’s all their was available for the near future.

Weird. Local block plant makes them to order.

They are here too, you just pick from a list and they either sell or cast you one.
I'm not sure who still makes them around here. Back in the day the local pumper did installs with tanks that they made, once the being engineered became a standard they moved to pumping only. Most that I see now are plastic, probably for ease of installation.

There's some good advice in this thread.

Get mom a port a potty or a hotel room

Dig up and remove the old tank. Replace it with a concrete tank in the same location.

Put risers on the inspection hatches.

Do it right. Don't hack fab it up.

Thanks everyone for all the pointers. I am going to check with the propane company and see what it will cost to move the tank, and then move it back when I'm done. Mom has a travel trailer to use for a bathroom while I have the septic torn up. I have risers for the septic tank, may need different ones depending on how deep I end up.

I can't dig up the old tank and haul it away, because its hazmat. The dump won't take it. So I'm stuck with abandoning and burying it.

As far as buoyancy concerns, I'll fill it with water before backfilling with sand. I'm not worried about it floating up out of the ground like some of you are. We don't have the groundwater here compared to say, Michigan.

The more I think about this, the less I like the idea. Its just too risky. Im either going to have to find a new spot for the septic tank, or get the propane tank moved. The inlet pipe is going to have to have an elbow in it somewhere. It looks like a 15* or maybe 30* will do it. Is that going to be an issue?

22.5* is going to be what you'll use. Which will be fine. You can also bend the pipe a little if necessary. The tanks are also usually forgiving on coming in at a slight angle.

I'd also think about just digging the old tank out, if it's that crumbly, you might be able to just dig it out. You also might luck out and the new tank is shorter, and you can leave the floor down there.

How much time do you have on an excavator? I'm guessing not nearly enough to trust you to operate that close to your propane tank. :flipoff2:

I was going to say the same thing :laughing::flipoff2:

This. Leave propane where it is, get the current tank sucked dry, remove and replace with new.

since your going poly, FILL THE TANK WITH WATER AS SOON AS ITS IN THE GROUND AND SET! You really dont want to come out to your tank trying or successfully eacaping since its a boat until filled.

If ground water is an issue yes. We try to push for concrete tanks in areas with high ground water since it should be pumped every few years anyway.

Will the loader on whatever backhoe you have not lift it? Im not understanding the problem with moving it yourself.
Turn it off, disconect the line to the house, and dont smash the important bits on the top.

It's a 1000 gallon propane tank that is full. (well 85%). Google tells me the tank and the fuel combined is around 5300 lbs. That more than my backhoe will lift I'm pretty sure.

I still may dig up the old tank. Iunno.

How much time do you have on an excavator? I'm guessing not nearly enough to trust you to operate that close to your propane tank. :flipoff2:
I not worried about hitting the tank with the backhoe. I'm worried about the bank collapsing and the propane tank ending up in the hole.

Weird. Local block plant makes them to order.
The problem in most parts of the country right now is that the precasters are so backed up they won't even take an order until next year...and that's for big commercial orders. Can't even imagine what they'll tell you for a single tank

You have 1000 gallons of propane, and need a big hole...why overcomplicate it?

2a23b878fdf6efedb02899bf1981e5b1f691d09c.gif

It's a 1000 gallon propane tank that is full. (well 85%). Google tells me the tank and the fuel combined is around 5300 lbs. That more than my backhoe will lift I'm pretty sure.
Tractor data says 8000# breakout and 4700# to full height at the bucket pins: TractorData.com Ford 550 backhoe-loader tractor attachments information
If you can lift from somewhere on the loader arm a little bit in from the pins that would probably be enough to pick it up and move it VERY carefully.
I would bet that the propane place is going to tell you that in order to move it they would need to pump it out, move it and refill it charging for every gallon that they pump out and back in.

Aaron Z

The problem in most parts of the country right now is that the precasters are so backed up they won't even take an order until next year...and that's for big commercial orders. Can't even imagine what they'll tell you for a single tank

Not saying youre wrong, but that's not the case at all around here?

And this general area is one of the fastest growing in the country.

Tractor data says 8000# breakout and 4700# to full height at the bucket pins: TractorData.com Ford 550 backhoe-loader tractor attachments information
If you can lift from somewhere on the loader arm a little bit in from the pins that would probably be enough to pick it up and move it VERY carefully.
I would bet that the propane place is going to tell you that in order to move it they would need to pump it out, move it and refill it charging for every gallon that they pump out and back in.

Aaron Z
Worth a call, could be $100.

Aaron Z
Maybe when the tractor was new it could lift that. It won't do it now.
Worth a call, could be $100.
My thinking. Can't hurt to ask.
Or could result in them throwing a fit because you moved it without their permission (even if you didn't move it)...

Aaron Z
My tank, my gas inside. Only me gets to decide what to do with it.

Have the propane company empty the tank. They will pay you for it and Move propane tank.

concrete saw a few squares in old septic tank top and crush it in with hoe. Fill the rest with diggings from new septic tank.

Move propane tank back and refill.

I replaced a tank like this with some energy and a 8B John Deere back hoe
got it out in a day (but a long one)
septic tank place dropped the replacement right in the very same hole

it isn't rocket science
our biggest challenge was reaching the bottom

Merrill and Sons in Grass Valley is still going strong.

I'm not sure who still makes them around here. Back in the day the local pumper did installs with tanks that they made, once the being engineered became a standard they moved to pumping only. Most that I see now are plastic, probably for ease of installation.

Mic drop.

The correct answer here is to pump out the old septic tank and pour the liquid propane into it for safe keeping while OP moves the propane tank. Video it for an informative youtube video.
Just need a big chiller to get the tank down to -44ish and you are good...

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh