What's new

Irate excavation experts, step inside

No video, but the propane tank move was successful this morning. Borrowed a Deere 328 skid steer and between that and my old Ford, there was no drama. Neither tractor broke a sweat. Got the hole dug, and it actually turned out smaller than everybody thought, so there:flipoff2:

Hooking some pipes up and backfilling tomorrow.
IMG_20220924_101036635.jpg

IMG_20220924_183914.jpg

IMG_20220924_183918.jpg

IMG_20220924_165756923.jpg

No video, but the propane tank move was successful this morning. Borrowed a Deere 328 skid steer and between that and my old Ford, there was no drama. Neither tractor broke a sweat. Got the hole dug, and it actually turned out smaller than everybody thought, so there:flipoff2:

Hooking some pipes up and backfilling tomorrow.
IMG_20220924_101036635.jpg
Ah, the good ol' rubber tire parking brake :laughing:

We normally dig them 1' plus on every side so we can get a little compaction. Especially on those plastic tanks where there is going to be voids below the buckles.

You can do what I've heard call "jetting" which is basically flooding the shit out of it to kinda wash the dirt down under there and make it less likely to settle. It sounds backwards since when compacting for a road or foundation, too much water is bad. But with the tank, you're just preventing settling, not making a house pad.

that dirt looks like some easy digging.
Actually the digging sucked for the machine I have to work with. I had 18-24" of easy topsoil, then a solid clay layer down to 5'. Then basketball size rock below that.

IMG_20220925_181718431.jpg

Thats where I ended today. Had to lift the tank out a couple more times and dig a little deeper to get the slope on the inlet and outlet right. Got into some rock in the bottom of the hole, so dug a little deeper, and backfilled with clean material. Set the tank and backfilled with sand. The sand had just the right amount of moisture to it, it practically compacted just by shovel and walking it in, which is what the tank manufacturer recommends. . We made sure to walk it into all the voids in the tank. It seems very solid. Time will tell I guess. I have to get different risers this week, then I'll finish grade everything.

Actually the digging sucked for the machine I have to work with. I had 18-24" of easy topsoil, then a solid clay layer down to 5'. Then basketball size rock below that.

IMG_20220925_181718431.jpg

Thats where I ended today. Had to lift the tank out a couple more times and dig a little deeper to get the slope on the inlet and outlet right. Got into some rock in the bottom of the hole, so dug a little deeper, and backfilled with clean material. Set the tank and backfilled with sand. The sand had just the right amount of moisture to it, it practically compacted just by shovel and walking it in, which is what the tank manufacturer recommends. . We made sure to walk it into all the voids in the tank. It seems very solid. Time will tell I guess. I have to get different risers this week, then I'll finish grade everything.

There always seems to be a layer of rock about 6" above where you want to put the tank :laughing:

Sand is the way to go, there will still be some voids if you didn't jet or Wacker pack, but it's not the end of the world.

Top Back Refresh