What's new

Interesting Trucks for Sale

Those 6 lug D70's had the closed knuckle/drum brake setup, correct? My old neighbor had a few of those kicking around in his yard back in the day.

How do you drive an auto with a 2spd rear? Just get into 4th gear, then click the rear into high?

same way you do in a manual since declutching is not part of the shift procedure; ( the procedure is pretty well burned into my memory as I spent a lot of summers of my childhood staring at this sticker on the glovebox door in my grandpas 70's dodge MDT's , on lumber runs etc.)

a144561.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	a144561.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	82451

Last edited:
same way you do in a manual; ( the procedure is pretty well burned into my memory as I spent a lot of summers of my childhood staring at this sticker on the glovebox door in my grandpas 70's dodge MDT's , on lumber runs etc.)

I know how to shift one from low to high, but I'm trying to imagine how you would use it with an auto.

I know how to shift one from low to high, but I'm trying to imagine how you would use it with an auto.

well yeah, then as you described 4th then lo > Hi in the rear most of the time, maybe as a splitter for lower gears in rolling hills at loser speeds

The one I had, it got left in low till you hit the highway. Then I would pop it into high for cruising. It was an underpowered pig so high was only useful on flat ground with a tailwind.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...167919975.html

Selling a weird one. This is a 1973 International Bus which has been converted into a ramped car hauler.

Key details:

THE GOOD
- 1973 International with 1989 body pieces swapped in. Titled as a 1973.
- 9.0L 555ci L10 diesel motor. Approx. 139k miles. Runs extremely smooth without any major leaks.
- Allison transmission. Cannot remember the model, but it's an auto. Shifts fine.
- Stops fine. Brakes are good.
- Has cruise control.
- Custom aluminum raised roof.
- Tires are in good shape, reasonably new.
- Batteries are around 5 years old.
- Entire backside of bus folds down into a ramp for loading. The interior opening is 96" wide. Manual hand-crank winch. We fit and hauled a WJ Grand Cherokee in the back with no issues.
- Includes a wood stove (pictured) which we had planned to use for heating.
- Includes a bunch of extra fuel, trans, and oil filters.
- Of the seats shown in the interior, the forward-facing seats have been removed.
- Built-in fairlead for loading/unloading of non-running vehicles.
- Anchor points built into the floor.
- Plumbed for air to the rear off of engine compressor.
- Now painted gloss black with tractor paint from TSC.
- Titled under 18k pounds as an RV/van, no CDL required. Clean title in hand.

THE BAD
- Radiator was very old and developed a significant leak after sitting for a few months. We pulled the radiator (pictured) for replacement, and have not had a chance to finish. The radiator also has an integrated transmission cooler. For the time being we have a bypass hose run for the cooler so the bus can run/drive/stop, but cannot be driven long distances. The radiator can be found on Amazon for around $900. The install job is simple, but we have not had time/funds to order a replacement. The bus DID NOT overheat. I can share the Amazon listing if you are interested.

I drove this 10 hours through a snowstorm to get it home several years ago, without issue. It took several subsequent trips from MD to the PA mountains hauling Jeeps, also without any issues. It is loud and not terribly fast, but is a strong runner and turns heads. Fun project if you have the space. We had grand plans for this but ran out of time. Located in central MD.

Serious inquiries only, please. Don't contact me unless you have the space. Email me first to request phone number, then we can talk/text further. Thanks

could have had someone else put a real motor in that truck for 1/2 to 2/3 what he spent to keep that stock POS in there.

If it's so great why sell it right after you just dumped buckets of money into it?

I never understood this, I see it all the time.

I'd have done a 6.0 psd swap before I dumped all that into a 6.4. :laughing:

I think a F450 would be great with a 6.7 Cummins swap. That is a huge amount of money for "Bullet Proofing".

I think a F450 would be great with a 6.7 Cummins swap. That is a huge amount of money for "Bullet Proofing".

It's cool on paper, you always hear horror stories about fummins trucks, especially newer ones.

A few years newer gets you a 6.7 powerstroke and 6 spd, realistically, a much more reliable truck.

The only reliable Fummins I know of are 12v or common rail based and have manual transmissions.

I wonder if its comete with all orrigonal 70 year old running gear/ drivetrain. I didn't see much of the interior that you couldn't find at an estate sale....
now maybe its entirely badass 100% new, but hard to tell from the pics

They usually are. Usually a Detroit and manual transmission. Watch "Bus Grease Monkey" on YouTube.

Top Back Refresh