What's new

Interesting tools for sale.

These don't come up often and when they do they're not cheap. I can probably pick it up Thursday if someone wants it.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 9.50.58 PM.png
If you don't mind storing it until you come down for your loader, I'd absolutely take it. He says best offer so make sure you lowball him. :laughing:

Kinda looks like there might be another one in the bottom left corner too....or at least another plate with the handle still mounted to it.
1718801222559.png

On that round thing behind it here: :confused:
1718801264351.png

I texted him this morning asking if the second one in the backgound is available too. I'm gonna offer 160 for both.

I texted him this morning asking if the second one in the backgound is available too. I'm gonna offer 160 for both.

That could turn in to one of those deals where you end up going home with way more than you planned. If he's got those just laying around under tarps, there's a good chance there's other cool shit laying around too. :laughing:

So what is the round thing behind it? If bgaidan doesn’t want it, I’m interested.

Funny, when I typed “bgaidan” , my iPad corrected it to Brandon. lol.

That could turn in to one of those deals where you end up going home with way more than you planned. If he's got those just laying around under tarps, there's a good chance there's other cool shit laying around too. :laughing:
He said the other one was sold. I'm bringing $200 on Thursday so I don't wind up with shit I don't need. We didn't talk price on the dividing head he does have. I assume I'll negotiate in person.

A friend of mine asked me if I knew anyone that would be interested in these machines. He has some other tooling and fixture stuff that will be coming up for sale. He is having a hard time getting his business partner (old old guy) to let him liquidate a lot of the older manual machines that they don't use anymore. They have gone to 90% CNC with several big HAAS units in the shop so minimal manual work other than "fix it" jobs vs production, and even then they tend to send out some of their fix it jobs and focus on just building their own components.

Located in Hampton, Va. Have a forklift on site to load. Story is that these were "running when parked" but he wouldn't give me a price, it was one of those "what do you think its worth?" scenarios and I had no idea what to tell him. If it was up to him, he'd have scrapped it, but his business partner is like a lot of us... a dreamer of a use one day. They need floorspace back though and are bickering over how to get rid of it.

If someone wants the contact information or for me to convey an offer forward, send me a message and I can get you in touch. I do know that the business partner wants more than "just scrap". And no, the fly-press to the back left is NOT for sale. I drooled on that and begged to buy it, not like I needed it, but it is PRISTINE.

20240623_142212.jpg

20240623_142220.jpg

He'd be lucky to get $1-1.5k for that Bridgeport clone. Being full CNC with no handwheel pretty much means it needs a fully retrofit to be at all useful. There's someone here selling a couple Bridgeport machines just like that in the same price range and he's had them on Markeplace for several months so I'm assuming there's not much interest. Pretty much one of those things I'd probably bid a couple hundred bucks on if there were in a nearby auction, just to scavenge parts off of and scrap the rest.

What's the other machine? Jig grinder?

He'd be lucky to get $1-1.5k for that Bridgeport clone. Being full CNC with no handwheel pretty much means it needs a fully retrofit to be at all useful. There's someone here selling a couple Bridgeport machines just like that in the same price range and he's had them on Markeplace for several months so I'm assuming there's not much interest. Pretty much one of those things I'd probably bid a couple hundred bucks on if there were in a nearby auction, just to scavenge parts off of and scrap the rest.

What's the other machine? Jig grinder?

The friend of mine would get rid of it for scrap weight price, and load it for free. Its the other business partner that he would need to negotiate with.

He called the other machine a Jig Borer, but I didn't bother climbing over it to look.

There are some other misc tooling pieces that he also wants to get rid of; I'm personally going after some of the steady and follower rests to see if they'll fit my Mammoth, but there's a bunch of other random stuff. The chucks and angle plates in the background of the next pic are unfortunately not up for grabs, yet.

This giant manual rotary table for instance. I was told "make offers:.

20240623_142306 (1).jpg

Same for this giant antique motor.

You see the transformer box and torch cart for scale. Thats like an 8 or 10" diameter gear on the end. He mentioned having a bunch of transformers but for some reason all of the data plates are removed from them for some reason.

20240623_142240.jpg

^ I think that motor would be cool slightly cleaned up and with a glass table on top of it in my machine shop sitting area. Its massive though.

The friend of mine would get rid of it for scrap weight price, and load it for free. Its the other business partner that he would need to negotiate with.

This guy sounds like the kind of guy who'd get offended when someone offers a little over scrap value because they don't really need it they just don't wanna see it scrapped and wouldn't mind having it.

He called the other machine a Jig Borer, but I didn't bother climbing over it to look.
Well I was gonna say that's the ugliest fucking jig borer I'd ever seen until someone else said it might be a jig grinder so that checks out. :laughing:

^ I think that motor would be cool slightly cleaned up and with a glass table on top of it in my machine shop sitting area. Its massive though.
Hipster shit.

Last edited:
bgaidan what do you figure the flip factor is on something like this if it made its way to your place? I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay my gas and hotel bill this fall. :laughing:

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 8.58.15 PM.png

bgaidan what do you figure the flip factor is on something like this if it made its way to your place? I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay my gas and hotel bill this fall. :laughing:

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 8.58.15 PM.png

You'll lose money. Old big lathes like that are about the only thing not in demand. Now, find a load of cheap hobby size southbends, logans, etc. and you'll pay your bills.

I can sell a 10" Atlas/craftsman for $1500 all day long but that Hendy would probably take months to move and might fetch $400. Especially without a motor.

Now, find a load of cheap hobby size southbends, logans, etc. and you'll pay your bills.
I assume bench-top size, domestic manufacture and running condition are the trifecta of criteria I'm looking for?

I assume bench-top size, domestic manufacture and running condition are the trifecta of criteria I'm looking for?

Yep. South bend, Logan, Sheldon, Clausing and Atlas/Craftsman on the lower end. Pretty much anything that can be moved by no more than an engine hoist and/or furniture dolly by the average idiot will fetch $1k - 2500.

If you happen to come across a deal on a nice later model (1970's+) Japanese or Taiwanese 1440 size machine, I'd chip in some gas money to get it down here.

Still probably better off trying to get a few of those $500 bridgeports. Pretty much guaranteed a minimum of $1500 on a quick sale if everything works.

Thank god this is so far. This is more or less exactly the mill I want and it comes with a free lathe. I asked the seller what taper the horizontal is. I'm hoping he says CAT40 so I can justify not getting it because CAT50 is cheaper

Screenshot 2024-07-28 at 8.57.25 AM.png

Top Back Refresh