What's new

I quit drinking

Fell off the wagon this weekend, extreme level of family drama sent me over the edge. Back at 0 after over a year.
Just take it one day at a time man, and if you have to start over every fucking day than you start over every fucking day.

I was never big on keeping track of how long I was sober for but I was well past the two year mark when I just up and decided to start again one day

Just take it one day at a time man, and if you have to start over every fucking day than you start over every fucking day.

I was never big on keeping track of how long I was sober for but I was well past the two year mark when I just up and decided to start again one day
This is kinda where I'm at.....

I still haven't come to terms yet with life long sobriety. My 2 years hits in September and I'm definitely gonna make that. But the future is uncertain

Last edited:

I still haven't come to terms yet with life long sobriety. My 2 years hits in September and I'm definitely gonna make that. But the future is uncertain
BULLSHIT you hit 2 years this year. You’re quit like yesterday. :flipoff2:
It gets weird. You just really stop caring about beer and it becomes weirder and weirder to see it at family functions and events. You become a little bit more ‘judgey’ and ‘righteous’ and shit.

Our oldest son was at that point when he was about two years in. He started having a tough time seeing himself sober for the rest of his life. He went off the wagon and within a few months was right back to his old ways, a barely functioning alcoholic that people didn’t want to be around when he was drunk because he is just too much to deal with. He’s a “run out or pass out” drinker so every time he cracks a beer you know its going to be a ride.

He‘s seeing that drinking again was a terrible idea because he can’t control it like he thought he could. At the same time, he’s having a hard time convincing himself to stop again. It’s painful as a parent to watch this.

Be careful about going back, Your decision affects everyone around you more than you know. And I’m willing to bet that the people that truly care about you are more proud of you than you’ll ever know.

I am officially done with all of my requirements to get my license back after my DUI! Pretty stoked about that. The 24th of this month will mark 6 months sober. :smokin::grinpimp:
Shit that’s like a week away! I still remember you having a shitty day at work ready to quit sobriety.

Yeah that was a rough day that day. To be honest I feel kinda silly I had that day.. but I know they are possible, and I may have one again, bit its all about how I react.
DON’T. It is probably something most people WON’T tell you about quitting. It’s not every day that is a struggle for a lot of people. It’s the triggers. Heck look at DMX. He was sober until he took too much cocaine one time.

7 months for me today, must admit the warm weather has made it harder to not grab a beer or nine but the money saved and not feeling like shit every morning is sure nice. Got a pretty stark reminder of how bad I was the other day though, stopped by a buddy's shop to help him out with a customer's car and he was shocked when I turned down the beer he offered me.
count7.png

Thought it was funny today a younger guy I work with was talking about how he's not drinking during the week anymore because he was too sick to drink at all last week and noticed how he didn't feel like shit in the morning after not drinking for a few days. I've been telling him that for a few months now when he'd come in whining but it was always "Nah I don't even get hangovers dude"

I had a michelada last night, I've got some shit going on and honestly I don't consider it being off the wagon, micheladas are delicious and I've never drank enough to be drunk from off em.

My brother in law AND his dad BOTH say the ‘I don’t get hangovers’ bullshit and yet they’re both tired and don’t want to move the day after drinking. Once it was due to altitude the guy didn’t feel good. I rolled my eyes and called him four hours later. He was just fine.

congratulations on 7 months and seeing how bad you were. ADD invited me to a pool party over the weekend. He lives 100 minutes away. I told him the next day I wouldn’t have been able to go, but if I did I’d kill ‘just a 6 pack then sober up with dinner’ to drive I-80 back through Truckee to make it home with my kid in the truck. I think the entire party drank a 12 pack across 4 or 6 adults. Eye opening how much I drank just to get drunk and it didn’t matter where. Now I’m able to go nice places and POSSIBLY get invited back because I didn’t get drunk and make an ass of myself. I just mad an ass of myself but in a funny ‘this guy doesn’t ever shit the fuck up, does he?’ kind of way.

7 months for me today, must admit the warm weather has made it harder to not grab a beer or nine but the money saved and not feeling like shit every morning is sure nice. Got a pretty stark reminder of how bad I was the other day though, stopped by a buddy's shop to help him out with a customer's car and he was shocked when I turned down the beer he offered me.
count7.png

Thought it was funny today a younger guy I work with was talking about how he's not drinking during the week anymore because he was too sick to drink at all last week and noticed how he didn't feel like shit in the morning after not drinking for a few days. I've been telling him that for a few months now when he'd come in whining but it was always "Nah I don't even get hangovers dude"
Fucking rad! Good job man:smokin:

I had a michelada last night, I've got some shit going on and honestly I don't consider it being off the wagon, micheladas are delicious and I've never drank enough to be drunk from off em.
That's the thing.. bad stuff happening is a trigger for most of us. If we gave in and drank when we had a bad day, eventually we would go back to old habits. If you go back to not drinking again, that's good, but if you're counting days without a drink, I'd say you have to start over in your counting. Bad days suck and are prime days for drinking, but drinking your problems away doesn't help anything. Do you have any sober people you can reach out to when you get the urge?

As PoRiggity said…I remember the days of him AND me ‘controlling’ our drinking and for US it lead to old habits. Not having enough to be drunk became a slippery slope for me because it was MY definition of being drunk. If ‘some shit going on’ is going to make you start grabbing beers it’s a hard road to quitting until you want to. What kinda shit do you have going on? People have dealt with a lot while sober.

count7.png

Congrats man!! :grinpimp::grinpimp:

Congrats to those that have made it another day and good luck to those that are trying to get through the day.

If you stumbled, remember, this:
The rear view mirror is small for a reason- take a quick glance to remind yourself of the shit behind you, but don't dwell on it.
The windshield is huge for a reason- keep looking forward, that my friends, is a road you can still choose.

I don't have any other place to vent/share, and I need to, so skip the rest if you're not interested in reading about my current drama.

My mother in law(MIL) and sister in law(SIL) live together, about 2 miles away. I often get calls for "help"- vehicles, plumbing, electrical, tv, etc.

Got a call a yesterday afternoon from my MIL asking for help, She asked if I can come over, but kind of urgent. I ask what's up and she tells me she needs help getting my SIL to the ER. I drop what I'm doing and head over... (My wife is back in the office this week and was busy in meetings all day yesterday, she had a hell of a surprise when she could finally answer texts and calls!)

I get there and apparently my SIL has been on a week long+ bender of mighty proportions. She's on the downward side of it and I'm not sure WTF they want me to do, as she refuses to go anywhere, can’t dress herself, can’t do shit. I sit and talk with her for a little while, she's able to hold a short conversation with me, doesn't seem to be on deaths door, but certainly not in good shape. So, I ordered her a mobile IV, a band aid for the underlying issues, but hopefully will get her at least functioning enough to get through it and then we can address the real issue.

Well, apparently that worked, enough to get her feeling good enough to get out bed. She waited until my MIL had gone to sleep and proceeded to drink anything she could find in the house. She still hasn't eaten a thing since Saturday as far as we know...

So we get another call this morning asking for help. No options given this morning, takes almost 20 minutes to get her loaded into the car, and then I bowed out. My wife and MIL are on their way to ER with her as I type this. I have no idea what the outcome will be, but I know it's going to be a bumpy road for the near term.

I'm a little over 3.5 years since my last drink, in the back on my mind I'm hoping my SIL can make it 3.5 days without a drink (she probably won't have a choice!) and I'm really hoping my wife sees the big picture and starts to think about her own consumption habits.

I don't preach or teach my sobriety on anyone. Nor do I cast any stone on those that drink one or drink 20. I truly wish I could just drink one and enjoy it! I can't, and I'm perfectly fine with that for the rest of my life. I've been down this road before, was sober for 3+ years from '06-'09 and decided I could ease back into it, control it if you will. Took me 8 years to hit bottom again and I finally figured out my personal slogan:

When I control my drinking, I don't enjoy it.
When I enjoy my drinking, I don't control it.

So fawking simple...

Sorry for the long post, thanks for being here, truly a great group!

Congrats to those that have made it another day and good luck to those that are trying to get through the day.

If you stumbled, remember, this:
The rear view mirror is small for a reason- take a quick glance to remind yourself of the shit behind you, but don't dwell on it.
The windshield is huge for a reason- keep looking forward, that my friends, is a road you can still choose.

I don't have any other place to vent/share, and I need to, so skip the rest if you're not interested in reading about my current drama.

My mother in law(MIL) and sister in law(SIL) live together, about 2 miles away. I often get calls for "help"- vehicles, plumbing, electrical, tv, etc.

Got a call a yesterday afternoon from my MIL asking for help, She asked if I can come over, but kind of urgent. I ask what's up and she tells me she needs help getting my SIL to the ER. I drop what I'm doing and head over... (My wife is back in the office this week and was busy in meetings all day yesterday, she had a hell of a surprise when she could finally answer texts and calls!)

I get there and apparently my SIL has been on a week long+ bender of mighty proportions. She's on the downward side of it and I'm not sure WTF they want me to do, as she refuses to go anywhere, can’t dress herself, can’t do shit. I sit and talk with her for a little while, she's able to hold a short conversation with me, doesn't seem to be on deaths door, but certainly not in good shape. So, I ordered her a mobile IV, a band aid for the underlying issues, but hopefully will get her at least functioning enough to get through it and then we can address the real issue.

Well, apparently that worked, enough to get her feeling good enough to get out bed. She waited until my MIL had gone to sleep and proceeded to drink anything she could find in the house. She still hasn't eaten a thing since Saturday as far as we know...

So we get another call this morning asking for help. No options given this morning, takes almost 20 minutes to get her loaded into the car, and then I bowed out. My wife and MIL are on their way to ER with her as I type this. I have no idea what the outcome will be, but I know it's going to be a bumpy road for the near term.

I'm a little over 3.5 years since my last drink, in the back on my mind I'm hoping my SIL can make it 3.5 days without a drink (she probably won't have a choice!) and I'm really hoping my wife sees the big picture and starts to think about her own consumption habits.

I don't preach or teach my sobriety on anyone. Nor do I cast any stone on those that drink one or drink 20. I truly wish I could just drink one and enjoy it! I can't, and I'm perfectly fine with that for the rest of my life. I've been down this road before, was sober for 3+ years from '06-'09 and decided I could ease back into it, control it if you will. Took me 8 years to hit bottom again and I finally figured out my personal slogan:

So fawking simple...

Sorry for the long post, thanks for being here, truly a great group!
Sorry to hear this brother. I'm the praying type so you and your family is in my prayers.

Man, that's the truest thing I've ever heard when it comes to drinking!

I'm going to steal this when I'm asked why I quit, and mention it to those who are reasoning/bargaining/deluding themselves about their habit. I think this is how most interact with alcohol, though most don't know it.

That's the thing.. bad stuff happening is a trigger for most of us. If we gave in and drank when we had a bad day, eventually we would go back to old habits. If you go back to not drinking again, that's good, but if you're counting days without a drink, I'd say you have to start over in your counting. Bad days suck and are prime days for drinking, but drinking your problems away doesn't help anything. Do you have any sober people you can reach out to when you get the urge?
I don't really keep track, even when I had a couple years under my belt, I wouldn't even say I had the urge to drink I just wanted one at the Mexican restaurant

I can't control my whiskey consumption so I don't consume whiskey

I'm still around, been busy as shit lately, and the group text has like 50 new tests per day, haven't had time to scroll back or read so i stay quiet in it. Going deep sea fishing tomorrow, sober :grinpimp:

een busy
50??? Must have been a slow day.

I'm still around, been busy as shit lately, and the group text has like 50 new tests per day, haven't had time to scroll back or read so i stay quiet in it. Going deep sea fishing tomorrow, sober :grinpimp:

een busy
Glad you're still around brother. Chime in on the text every so often so we know you're alive:lmao:

Top Back Refresh