What's new

i made a bushing.... 3d printed

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
good am all,

i have been hearing about people making leaf spring bushing and sway bar bushing out of TPU filament and having good success doin that, so i decided to put my thoughts of a spring bushing to fusion 360, this is a fairly easy program to use, but i am super slow at it, last time i even played with CAD was in the early 2000's and then all i did was use to look at blue prints, never made anything. all i want to make is bushing for fabrication on the buggy, like an engine cage. so the first thing you do is hit up the scrap tubing and see what you have to make it with, only to find out you dont have any bushings, so now its off to the internet to try and find one. now i can just break out the measuring devices and create my own bushing with what ever scrap i have in the shop. so bad ass i cant even explain.

first time making the bushing in fusion i did not make any chamfers, i have since then discover that tool in fusion yay little victory. in the in the fusion pic with orange marks i have chamfered there.
printed it first in PLA scrap to make sure it work, only one roll of TPU right now and did not want to waste it.

and i like most of the measurements except the length so i shortened that to 1 inch vice 1.5 inches.

need to work on the setting a bit, i think my retraction is still on too high because there are some stings.

anyway here it is.

1663764026470.png

1663764297619.png

1663764450955.png

1663764540561.png

Nice! Which printer?

What's the hardness? Like polyurethane?

I've been playing with F360 and a small burn table. Pretty cool to make custom parts!

I've been thinking about getting a printer to go with the burn table.

Last edited:
That's pretty sweet, man. I'd also like to know what TPU is like. PLA is the only filament I have any experience with.

I've had to machine poly shock bushings to fit a few vehicles. Bushings that were only available by purchasing an entire coilover from the dealer. Wonder if printed bushing would hold up to the loading.

i have the ender 3 pro, i think just over 200 bucks about a year and half ago, i did a 70% infil to see what it is like and i can squeeze it pretty easy, i think going forward i will do 100 % and call it a day.

one guy on IH8MUD made sway bar bushing and last time i checked he has went 8k miles and no drama.
i made i quick vid of me squeezing it. again the fix is 100% for anything i will use..

these 2 took appzox 12 hours to print with 70 percent infil i did not want to leave my printer on while i was at work and staying GFs house for the next day or two so i adjusted to 70% for my first run...

That's pretty sweet, man. I'd also like to know what TPU is like. PLA is the only filament I have any experience with.

I've had to machine poly shock bushings to fit a few vehicles. Bushings that were only available by purchasing an entire coilover from the dealer. Wonder if printed bushing would hold up to the loading.
this is exactly why i am doing it, sometime you just need two not the entire pack of mis matched bushing

Is there any material you can 3d print that will hold up to heat? Like a mock-up puck for welding shit into place

Or a tube clamp for angle gauge would be rad

so abs handles heat decent, but not sure that kind of heat.

another application i read about was using printed bushing out of hard plastic for line up bar on diamond, fab 9 or what ever axles. possibilities are endless just need to work on the drawing part, i am crazy slow at it.

ChaplinFJ60, I want to thank you for helping me spend my money,:flipoff2:

I'm looking at the Ender 3 Pro or the Ratrig V3. Just don't know enough yet to decide which.:beer:

i had no idea what one to get either, and your welcome. there is a real help dude on the internet that does some good reviews on the ender i will link his vid. very informative too. he has 3 part series

h

I've been researching 'til my eyes are bleeding. I am now looking at the Creality CR-10S Pro V2 pretty hard. Looks like it has a lot of upgrades.

This guy has a pretty good video on filament types plus a second video that goes into some exotic filaments including some that are very heat resistant.

Last edited:
If you're looking at buying a printer, get the biggest bed you can fit in your space and budget. I have a standard Ender 3 and there have been a few times that the bed is just a little too small to print things the way I want them oriented.

Last edited:
This is Ninjaflex TPU. The blacksmith uses it as a template for marking stuff with a punch. He is demonstrating its durability here

Fusion 360 is worth the time to learn, if you have the time. I'm on the fo' freee version.

CR-10S Pro V2 on the way.

Spent Sunday cleaning out a spot in the utility room to put it. Later on I plan on going wireless with the Rasberry Pi and upgrading the nozzle stuff to run the engineering grade filaments. I've never messed with a Pi other than eating them but the process looks pretty straight forward.

Very interesting for sure. Never did one upgrade besides a few plastic bits to help with the tools and cables. Raspberry pi. Very cool.
also the printer is kinda loud. Not crazy but if it’s by a bedroom it will be annoying. FYI

Wonder how this would work as a suspension bushing. Assuming that it would tear it up pretty quick unless you made them solid. Might have to give it a try with my 3D printer. FYI I use FreeCAD to draw stuff up for my printer. Bit of a learning curve but it is very capable software. I have only tried PLA so far, I want to get rubber filament so I can make stuff like shift boots and custom size grommets and things also.

I have the Ender Cr-10(?)
the 500x500
it is bigger than you think

we have ran the piss out of it, broke a few things but they are cheap to fix

Wonder how this would work as a suspension bushing. Assuming that it would tear it up pretty quick unless you made them solid. Might have to give it a try with my 3D printer. FYI I use FreeCAD to draw stuff up for my printer. Bit of a learning curve but it is very capable software. I have only tried PLA so far, I want to get rubber filament so I can make stuff like shift boots and custom size grommets and things also.
so that bushing i made was 70% infil, so 100 % i think would be the cats meow. i don't have anything that has leaf springs. or i would have them in now, we need someone who would test out a set, hmmmmmm:beer::beer:

neat thread thanks.

I'd think the plastic stuff would hole up well enough for tacking, it's gonna melt and need to be replaced at some point but if you have the machine, who cares.

Could also create for flexy parts by including holes through the bushing.

neat thread thanks.

I'd think the plastic stuff would hole up well enough for tacking, it's gonna melt and need to be replaced at some point but if you have the machine, who cares.

Could also create for flexy parts by including holes through the bushing.
do you have an example for a flexy part?

Printer came in. Pretty cool tech. Lots of neat stuff to make. This printer is quiet. Made a replacement steering wheel for a toy electric car. Drawn in F360. Sliced in Cura. Printed on a Creality CR10s Pro V2 in PLA.

20221012_133138.jpg

20221013_105704.jpg

Printer came in. Pretty cool tech. Lots of neat stuff to make. This printer is quiet. Made a replacement steering wheel for a toy electric car. Drawn in F360. Sliced in Cura. Printed on a Creality CR10s Pro V2 in PLA.

20221012_133138.jpg

20221013_105704.jpg
They are cool for small plastic parts. I made a few floor drain plugs, and some brackets to hold up fuel lines and stuff. It is pretty useful.

Printer is definitely useful to have around.

My brother's camper had a light bezel that broke. Manufacturer only wanted to sell the bezel with a new light, and of course it was like $180-200. I threw some PETg in the printer, made a quick model, and a few hours later he's got a new bezel for about $1 of material. :smokin:

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 10
I am looking in to these as well.

What level puter you guys using to run fusion? Not sure if my old junk will be up to it....:shaking:

Top Back Refresh