What's new

I am flummoxed

Grendel

Iron Sharpens Iron
Member Number
As I get older, I am running out of gas. I find that I just want to drive/enjoy vehicles instead of work on them.

I mean, I am still doing a shit ton, but all the delays of other people, having to deal with shitty people and such, really brings me down.

So, I came here, to figure out what fast/handling car I should finish.

To be clear, either will be 500hp, big brakes, handle well, no rot/rust and good comfy interior with HVAC and banging stereo.

Do I finish the:

87 Chrysler Conquest TSI
91 Chevy Camaro

To be clear, I've promised myself I will finish in order:
81 CJ8
68 IH Travelcrew
96 C3000 (this is my son's)
44 Chevy G506

I am sick of trying to find parking, maintain all these fawkers, build them, get them painted, keep them from rusting, etc.

Find something you can endlessly tweak and stick with it. Not multiples.

I am branching away from vehicles towards a dual sport motorcycle. In particular I bought a 1st gen KLR that will get modified in stages.

Goals:
Reliable
KISS
Rugged

Mods planned:

LED headlight conversion
Baja Designs spot light
Fuse block upgrade to automotive style blade fuses
Front wrap around cage
Suspension
Steel braided brake lines
More off road focused tires

Down the road a 682 kit from Eagle Mike

Previous owner already did 14 tooth front sprocket, doohickey mod, sturdy bashplate, quality front pegs etc.

Come next year I will likely sell off my fun car, street motorcycle, atv, and my Aframe travel trailer. That is unless market tanks...

Simple is where it is at.

Tired of working on them and you want to start with anything from the 80s and 90s? Then narrow that to a late 80s Chrysler and 4th gen Camaro? Then stick 500 HP in it? Dafuq

Of the two, the Camaro would probably get closer to your wish list. Best of luck to you, good sir.

LoL I fail to see any vehicle in that list that is capable of "handling"
That's the fun part of the build. I can make them handle, surprising most people.
Find something you can endlessly tweak and stick with it. Not multiples.

I am branching away from vehicles towards a dual sport motorcycle. In particular I bought a 1st gen KLR that will get modified in stages.

Goals:
Reliable
KISS
Rugged

Mods planned:

LED headlight conversion
Baja Designs spot light
Fuse block upgrade to automotive style blade fuses
Front wrap around cage
Suspension
Steel braided brake lines
More off road focused tires

Down the road a 682 kit from Eagle Mike

Previous owner already did 14 tooth front sprocket, doohickey mod, sturdy bashplate, quality front pegs etc.

Come next year I will likely sell off my fun car, street motorcycle, atv, and my Aframe travel trailer. That is unless market tanks...

Simple is where it is at.
Well, that's why I am consolidating.
Do you have, or have plans to acquire, a mullet?
I've had them in the past, both my sons currently rock one.
Buy a C6 / C7 Z06, put good tires and brakes on it.
Done.
I have one:

44698644_10216014102519699_5173210304699432960_n.jpg

Sell a bunch of shit, buy GTR, drive it until you can out drive it then fuck with it.
Maybe? But see above.

I reached that stage in my life 3 years ago. Sold off my my XJ that I had built up over the years as my age was making difficult to work on. The working on it was fun....the resulting aches and pains, not so much. I bought a new lake boat instead as my next hobby. Also bought a new BMW to satisfy my automotive itch. It's fun spending down my kid's inheritance....

Buy a C6 / C7 Z06, put good tires and brakes on it.
Done.
Don't forget C5 Z06, to me better looking vs later generations.

3100lbs, 405HP stock, handles well. Really a set of sticky tires and have a blast. On long freeway stretches that car will do an honest 25-30mpg hardly breaking a sweat.
Almost bought one, decided it was too much of a car for me/for what I had plans for.

Bought a 2nd gen Miata that I heavily modified suspension on for canyon carving (along with some other bits).
I can cane the shit out of it, and not risk losing my license daily:laughing:

Nothing like being mid corner and flooring it, car squats in and shoots right out of the corner.

Same strategy with higher HP car will have one drive off the cliff sideways:grinpimp:

Go get some lessons on the track...you've probably not even used 5/10th's of that cars capability.
Oh, I can drive, no issues there. I just didn't build this one.

I have suspension designs, engine plans, etc for this project.

So, the question is, what would make you giggle more:

A 92 Camaro or an 87 Conquest handing Porsches their ass?

I'd do the conquest. My older brother is almost finished with his son's Camaro he built as a tribute after his passing and it's cool but there are a lot less conquest/starions out there, especially that are built.

Oh, I can drive, no issues there. I just didn't build this one.

I have suspension designs, engine plans, etc for this project.

So, the question is, what would make you giggle more:

A 92 Camaro or an 87 Conquest handing Porsches their ass?
Just because of numbers on the road etc I think the Conquest. I hope there's some documentation shared here!

DMG gave good advice. If Corvette is not it, sell it off and find something more exciting.

Sell off the rest, forget about years long project car, with your wandering eye you will start 10 more:flipoff2:

Commit to "one", drive lots and maintain it.
Hell get a Goblin like RT Toys, get your jollies on:laughing:

So for the Conquest, thinking:

Stock body, turbo'd L33, TR6060, 8.8 IRS and a bitchen front suspension:
Nissan 240 SX ( S14) knuckles (God Speed SK-001-BLACK), hubs and lower control arms (God Speed AK-084 ).

• *GOD SPEED GSP FIT 240SX S14 KA24 SR20 FRONT ANTI SWAY BAR KIT
  • * 2005 Cadillac CTSV front brakes - calipers and rotors
  • *S13 HICAS rack and ends - 2.5 turns lock, to lock.
  • *2013 Cadillac ATS steering shaft and u-joint
  • * Gregg's customs tubular cross member that moves the lower control arm mount points to match the S14 rack.
  • *TEIN Super Nissan Silvia S14 Coilover Front Kit
  • *Conquest upper camber plate, that takes an S13/S14 coil over.

The Camaro would get:
  • Same L33 turbo, TR6060
  • UMI front subframe, with their C7 conversion control arms, fox coil overs, C5 rack and pinion, to C7 knuckles and brakes.
  • Rear would get a gen6 Camaro multilink IRS

DMG gave good advice. If Corvette is not it, sell it off and find something more exciting.

Sell off the rest, forget about years long project car, with your wandering eye you will start 10 more:flipoff2:

Commit to "one", drive lots and maintain it.
Hell get a Goblin like RT Toys, get your jollies on:laughing:
Why sell the Vette? I do drive it. I also don't have to work on it. When the warranty's up, it will be traded for a C8 Z06.

So, I came here, to figure out what fast/handling car I should finish.

Do I finish the:

87 Chrysler Conquest TSI
92 Chevy Camaro
Win the lottery and finish them all. :flipoff2: Or sell a few and work on the ones that truly spark joy.

Honestly, I drove my 92 Iroc to work today. Its just a stock 305 and one of the most reliable vehicles I own. I'd love to stick an lsa in there and have some fun, but it's fun just driving with working AC and looking cool.

So for the Conquest, thinking:

Stock body, turbo'd L33, TR6060, 8.8 IRS and a bitchen front suspension:
Nissan 240 SX ( S14) knuckles (God Speed SK-001-BLACK), hubs and lower control arms (God Speed AK-084 ).

• *GOD SPEED GSP FIT 240SX S14 KA24 SR20 FRONT ANTI SWAY BAR KIT
  • * 2005 Cadillac CTSV front brakes - calipers and rotors
  • *S13 HICAS rack and ends - 2.5 turns lock, to lock.
  • *2013 Cadillac ATS steering shaft and u-joint
  • * Gregg's customs tubular cross member that moves the lower control arm mount points to match the S14 rack.
  • *TEIN Super Nissan Silvia S14 Coilover Front Kit
  • *Conquest upper camber plate, that takes an S13/S14 coil over.

Yes

Win the lottery and finish them all. :flipoff2: Or sell a few and work on the ones that truly spark joy.

Honestly, I drove my 92 Iroc to work today. Its just a stock 305 and one of the most reliable vehicles I own. I'd love to stick an lsa in there and have some fun, but it's fun just driving with working AC and looking cool.
BZ,

Small block TBI is basically a bolt in, mildly massage it with a cam/other choice mods. You can go 383 stroker route if so inspired.
Problem is the other mods that have to follow:laughing:

Enjoy that car for what it is, perhaps freshen it up a bit. GM spent a boatload of money designing this to function/outlast the warranty period:grinpimp:

Dad's the same way. 5 or 6 "project" vehicles and none really finished. Pick one (I suggest just one) or two and sell the others to finance that them. You're stretching yourself too thin with multiples.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh