What's new

How to move a lot of dirt

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
I'm trying to figure out the most efficient and cost effective way to move roughly 1000+ yards of dirt about 250' around the back of my house. Circled area on right is a mound about 8-10' high and the area I want to move it to slopes off.

Long term plans include owning a medium size tractor or tracked skidsteer, maybe this is just be the time to buy it but I want to pay off other debts first which pushes me into mid 2021, where as I'm hoping to move the dirt this winter.

A machine 8' wide would almost be to big but could squeeze around if need be. Back and forth trips with a bobcat would be faster and the rental is 100+ per day cheaper then a skip loader but I couldn't move as much dirt per trip. Also a skip loader is a little easier on the operator.

I've thought about borrowing a dump truck but adding another machine and person to the mix sounds like a waste.

What do the irate arm chair experts say? And the real ones?

Screenshot_20200730-040846_Maps.jpg

Rent a skidsteer and dump trailer?

IIRC a Bobcat bucket is a little over a half yard capacity so lets say a couple thousand trips. You need the biggest bucket you can fit back there and a dump truck if it really is 1000+ yards, that is unless you wanna take forever to get it done.

Remember that big fucking front end loader you were window shopping?

Now would be a great time to have it. :flipoff2:

Seriously, moving material such a small distance don't fuck around with a dump truck. There's a reason that serious dirt moving operations just use a big front end loader for short hauls.

There's a significant drop off in machine prices once you get to stuff too big to haul with a 1-ton without drawing attention. If I were you I'd think seriously about BDLing home a big front end loader and then selling it (or trying to trade for the tractor you want) when you're done.

Shovel it into a Harbor Freight cement mixer. Move cement mixer. Dump. Repeat.

Well placed tannerite?

sideways asshole nailed it.

1000+ yards is a lot. Fastest way is with a loader that works. A weekend would get it done. Then sell it.

To be efficient, rip the material to load easier. So D10 for ripping and 4 657's to move that mountain.

Another vote for loader. Your ground is a loose sandy type if I remember correctly so it should dig in fine. Teeth on the bucket help lots.
20200730_082124.jpg

Rent dump trailer if you have enough truck/tractor to pull it.
Use dump trailer to go haul newly-purchased skid steer w/ toothed bucket. (equipment ain't getting any cheaper)
Knock it out in a weekend -

Last edited:
I actually have a similar thing going at my house just a little less dirt. As soon as I get the skid steer reassembled my new hobby is going to be moving dirt. I looked at buying a dump trailer or dump truck but the truck would have to be 4wd which really runs up the price. I can’t make the numbers work buying anything. I am considering making something to attach to the bucket to greatly increase capacity but probably won’t.

Biggest loader you can get in there and you'll be done in a weekend

Any connections with the highway department?

Didn’t he say something about 8’? For fucks sake. Dump trailer and mtl

How are you getting the machine there? Are you hauling it behind your pickup or getting it delivered? If behind your truck, get the biggest compact track loader they will let you tow. If delivered, go for a wheel loader or a big backhoe.

Big loader would cost $2500 for a weekend delivered and picked up. More then I really want to pay. I could buy something useable (giant loader) for 10k but it might take me forever to sell again.

pay someone to do it for you. get more than one estimate. its just dirt.

also, how do you know its 1,000 yards? is it a 1,000 in-place yards? if so, your yardage is going to be off if you havent done a loose soil conversion factor to see how many loads/buckets you really have to move.

How are you getting the machine there? Are you hauling it behind your pickup or getting it delivered? If behind your truck, get the biggest compact track loader they will let you tow. If delivered, go for a wheel loader or a big backhoe.

Depends on what machine I go with. United has the best stuff and will let me haul a 12000lb track loader but its $500 for 8 hrs on the meter.

I'm half considering trying to find a screaming deal on a $40,000ish machine and financing it with plans to sell and hopefully break even or make a few bucks in a year. I've noticed east coast prices are 5-10k cheaper on comparable machines in that price range

pay someone to do it for you. get more than one estimate. its just dirt.

also, how do you know its 1,000 yards? is it a 1,000 in-place yards? if so, your yardage is going to be off if you havent done a loose soil conversion factor to see how many loads/buckets you really have to move.

I dont know but I think it's a decent guesstimate. It's real sandy so it doesn't really fluff up or compact much. I should probably dig a test hole to make sure I dont hit a solid block of sandstone 5' in

Big loader would cost $2500 for a weekend delivered and picked up. More then I really want to pay. I could buy something useable (giant loader) for 10k but it might take me forever to sell again.

$2500 is more than you want to pay, but you're willing to pay $10k?

i'm confused.

$2500 is more than you want to pay, but you're willing to pay $10k?

i'm confused.

$2500 would be done and gone.

With the $10k, he could resell the machine for a possible profit.

I've got a case uniloader (bobcat) and I can tell you it would take alot longer than a weekend......... the buckets don't have a ton of dig out force.. the dirt is going to need to be ripped
or disced to loosen it up....... I'd rent the loader..............

Top Back Refresh