What's new

How much truth in this video about power steering pressure and application to my Hydro assist system?

paulhead

Member Number
Loc
Long Beach Ca.
Been having an issue with air in my hydro assist system. 94 YJ, 4.0, 1.75 PSC ram and PSC pump. 25oz baffled vented reservoir. Bled the system a ton. Drove it around town no problems. As soon as I took it wheeling it starting whining after the second trail. Got home , redid some of the hoses, drove it around town, fine. As soon as I hit the trails again the whining comes back. I've been messing with the system til I'm blue in the face. Yes the feed hoses are short and above the pump. Figured maybe the reservoir isn't baffled right so I opted to try the PSC. Then I come across this video which gives me a new perspective. And I understand the PSC reservoir is slightly pressurized with the additional vent. Could that be the issue?

Last edited:
I know this isn’t what you’re asking, but do you have a cooler? The way your symptoms come on after you work the steering for a while sound like you could be building heat

What resi do you currently have? I had issues with my hydro assist until I put a PSC resi on it.

I never really drove it on the street much, but I could drive the jeep around in 4hi with no issues, but as soon as I hit a trail in 4lo it would whine and cavitate. I played around with hose routing, opening up the ports in the box, and synthetic fluid. The PSC resi fixed it for me.

25 .
61ms7-fD-HL._AC_SX679_.jpg
20221024_102959.jpg

I don't know if thats good baffling or not. Holds 25oz

What resi do you currently have? I had issues with my hydro assist until I put a PSC resi on it.

I never really drove it on the street much, but I could drive the jeep around in 4hi with no issues, but as soon as I hit a trail in 4lo it would whine and cavitate. I played around with hose routing, opening up the ports in the box, and synthetic fluid. The PSC resi fixed it for me.
Yeah I picked up the PSC, am in the process of installing it

Tube like tube and fin or tubed log style?
If it's a log style cooler throw it in the trash.
Those things are cosmetic accessories and have zero impact on temp.
Like the standard 18" finned aluminum cooler PSC sells in their kits?

Edit. Reading the other thread too. I see the differences. I can see the differences expected when going at speeds above 10mph but crawling doubt it matters.

Last edited:
Because I don't see a brand name on that reservoir or cooler, I'd look at the fitting ends and fitting themselves to if the holes are true to size.
I chased an issue for a while where it turns out the outlet in the reservoir had a major neckdown.

Because I don't see a brand name on that reservoir or cooler, I'd look at the fitting ends and fitting themselves to if the holes are true to size.
I chased an issue for a while where it turns out the outlet in the reservoir had a major neckdown.
Well I got the PSC reservoir and my initial question (video) was about the system maintaining a certain pressure which I believe the PSC does. The black reservoir I pulled out, I believe because it's vented it's lettings air in causing cavitation. I'll post back when I get it all installed.

Could always make a tank. Section of tube, well case, etc and use a pressure cap.

This is a cap example...

Some equipment uses a bleed iff turbo or air system but most is just from fluid heat.

paulhead Ah, my very first tech video that I put together. There's no trick photography, having a pressurized reservoir does reduce cavitation in the pump although I'm not convinced this is the issue you are dealing with. If it steers fine and the pump sounds normal on the street but it always whines off-road, this leads me to think that potentially the reservoir you are using is designed in such a way that off-camber or on hills, it allows air to get pulled into the pump which would lead to excessive noise and foam. You are on the right track with focusing on the reservoir and using either the reservoir breather valve that I offer or even the PSC antisplash valve will provide additional benefit but it's the reservoir itself that I suspect the most, vented or not.

paulhead Ah, my very first tech video that I put together. There's no trick photography, having a pressurized reservoir does reduce cavitation in the pump although I'm not convinced this is the issue you are dealing with. If it steers fine and the pump sounds normal on the street but it always whines off-road, this leads me to think that potentially the reservoir you are using is designed in such a way that off-camber or on hills, it allows air to get pulled into the pump which would lead to excessive noise and foam. You are on the right track with focusing on the reservoir and using either the reservoir breather valve that I offer or even the PSC antisplash valve will provide additional benefit but it's the reservoir itself that I suspect the most, vented or not.
Thanks for the response Eric. Both the feed and the return were on the bottom of the old (vented) reservoir. I'm thinking it's the pressure thing plus the smaller size. Maybe just not designed for intended wheeling .IDK we'll see. Almost done installing the PSC res, just kinda tight with being bigger in the engine bay but I think I got it. I'll report back once I hit the road/ trails.

Hopefully you don't have any issues with the pressure vent. I had to pull mine apart not long ago and reset the check inside. I was having tons of oil bleed out when on steep inclines. It was the check valve not seated. Since it's supposed to actually hold pressure.

Top Back Refresh