What's new

Hoses for hydro steering

Mike Honcho

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Missouri
What’s the go to for hoses and fittings? Going to be running full hydro, Psc ram, cooler and resi. I watched Desertdogs video on this and he gets his stuff from Grainger. I want good shit that’s not going to fail.

Psc kit is $

Trail gear makes a kit as well for much cheaper.

Psc return line kit

Local shop is what I use for stuff like that.

I think my last set of steering ram hoses were made in moab a few years ago.

Around here napa can make hoses too.

Surplus center is my go to. They offer a very great hose and fittings. I have some in service for over 12 years and no failures. I put them shits on every high rise building trash compactor in NYC that's under the 32BJ. literally hundreds of them.

But any hydraulic hose shop will get you set. If you are gonna leave the rig outside then Parker would be my go to. They have a great line oif stainless steel fittings

Last edited:
I've used the psc "reuseable" kits with good success.

Crimped are better, but not sure if necessary for truck stuff.

Hit up your local reibes or Napa, they make hydraulic hoses. If your near Chico let me know.

I like to use the field serviceable stuff for mock-up. Once the ends are all clocked right and length figured out. Take them off and have the local hose place crimp all Parker or Gates stuff. Then throw the mock-up hoses in the spare parts pile for emergency’s. A wrap of duct tape and a sharpie to identify what hose goes to what.

I like to use the field serviceable stuff for mock-up. Once the ends are all clocked right and length figured out. Take them off and have the local hose place crimp all Parker or Gates stuff. Then throw the mock-up hoses in the spare parts pile for emergency’s. A wrap of duct tape and a sharpie to identify what hose goes to what.

:smokin:

I use a lot of Surplus Center and DHH hoses/fittings on our tractors and farm equipment, the only problems I've had with them were my fault (such as not routing the lines correctly and them getting snagged when something moved).
One thing I would suggest, get adapters so that every hose can be a straight JIC , that way you can carry one or two spare hoses that are the same length as your longest hose and you can use that to get yourself back out to get a replacement hose made or purchased.
The other nice thing with all straight JIC hoses is that any place that makes or sells hydraulic hoses probably carries JIC and you don't have to risk not being able to get that weird extended sweep 90 to crimp onto the end of your hose.

Aaron Z

I use a lot of Surplus Center and DHH hoses/fittings on our tractors and farm equipment, the only problems I've had with them were my fault (such as not routing the lines correctly and them getting snagged when something moved).
One thing I would suggest, get adapters so that every hose can be a straight JIC , that way you can carry one or two spare hoses that are the same length as your longest hose and you can use that to get yourself back out to get a replacement hose made or purchased.
The other nice thing with all straight JIC hoses is that any place that makes or sells hydraulic hoses probably carries JIC and you don't have to risk not being able to get that weird extended sweep 90 to crimp onto the end of your hose.

Aaron Z

Great idea!

I use a hydro shop. Figure out ends and lengths, get one end crimped on each hose when you buy them. mock them up to get the other fitting oriented in the right spot, mark its place then return to get it crimped.

I run Pulsar carbonite 17 hoses from Greenline on my latest rig.. Its very nice to work with.. Light weight with good wear resistance and does a much tighter bend radius than most other hoses Ive ran .. Carry a field repair splice fitting in the tool bag

I run Pulsar carbonite 17 hoses from Greenline on my latest rig.. Its very nice to work with.. Light weight with good wear resistance and does a much tighter bend radius than most other hoses Ive ran .. Carry a field repair splice fitting in the tool bag,

And a hacksaw blade with vise grips for an emergency trail fix.

I use a hydro shop. Figure out ends and lengths, get one end crimped on each hose when you buy them. mock them up to get the other fitting oriented in the right spot, mark its place then return to get it crimped.
they spin even after crimped.

I've used the psc "reuseable" kits with good success.

Crimped are better, but not sure if necessary for truck stuff.
My only bitch about the psc stuff is the size.

Real crimped hydro hose is about 2/3 the size. Dependi g on what youre working on packaging and routing can be an issue.

they spin even after crimped.
Not most of them. You can pay extra for swivel ends but the standard crimped end does not.

If you mean a straight end JIC, yes infinitely clockable. But if for some reason you need 90’s on both ends, or a 90 and a 45 or two 45’s. You need them routed and clocked just right before crimping so the hose is properly relaxed once installed.

Not most of them. You can pay extra for swivel ends but the standard crimped end does not.

If you mean a straight end JIC, yes infinitely clockable. But if for some reason you need 90’s on both ends, or a 90 and a 45 or two 45’s. You need them routed and clocked just right before crimping so the hose is properly relaxed once installed.
most standard crimped will turn after been crimped, not by hand but with pliers and wise.

only ones i have seen you could not turn had welded ferrules.
but if you dont try it you will never know..........

only ones i have seen you could not turn had welded ferrules.
but if you dont try it you will never know..........
And if you do try, but turns out there is a ridge on the barb, you have now ruined your fitting as you could chew out enough of the inside of the hose to provide a path for it to leak.

Aaron Z

I use Gates hose, fittings, and have a crimper. Gates has the most dummy proof JIC nuts that don't stretch when they get over torqued.
The hose is MegaTuff SAE100R17 Flame Resistant 3K pressure rating. Its a tough hard cover that is slick so it doesn't chaff or get cut, also doesn't dry out and crack like a lot of the soft rubber jacket hose. Still can make tight bends though.
All hose ends are JIC female swivel.
Only one 90 degree fitting per hose so the timing does not need to be perfect. Use an adapter 90 degree tube sweep if needed on the other end.
I have plenty of extra hose and fittings in 3/8" and 1/2" if anyone is interested, DM me.
Whoever cuts the hose, make sure to blow it out before fittings go on, otherwise you will catch debris on the barb.

What does a decent crimper cost? Most likely not worth it if making a few hoses?

most standard crimped will turn after been crimped, not by hand but with pliers and wise.
I've never seen that and I've never been picky about what I use or where I get it.

What does a decent crimper cost? Most likely not worth it if making a few hoses?
You might get lucky and score a used one and a few sets of dies for a few hundred but they go more than a grand new.

China makes a bottle jack based crimper for under $300 but I can't find evidence of anyone using it for actual hydraulic hoses so I haven't bought one.

Last edited:
I always wanted to find the crimp blocks that would fit into my 50 ton press to make my own hose ends.
Most of use already have a decent press, I don't need something else to take up room in the shop when I just want to crimp a few hoses.

Top Back Refresh