What's new

Homemade Attachments for Forklifts Skidsteers and Other Equipment

I've always thought it would be awesome to work at a scrap yard, but then I realized that I would probably bring home my entire paycheck in metal! :laughing:
The guy that I buy as much i can does pretty much that. He has three different businesses run out of the same building, one is scrap buying, one is new metal and one is selling scrap. He always has cool stuff laying around, he scraps scrap and anything that is usable gets stacked up and resold. RIght now though he's scrapping stuff as soon as he gets it vs storing it, he was saying that he has trouble getting pretty much anything.

^this is true. Scrap is all cash based business. If your not running a card your not paying tax.

I'm talking income tax, bruhs
You're both right. They don't charge sales tax when selling in cash because they throw that cash in the drawer and use it to pay the next guy who's selling to them or are potentially using it to pay for some of their employees off the books hours. And of course the employees aren't paying tax on any earnings not denominated in dollars.

The only thing wrong with any of this is that there's still some tax being paid.

I picked up 2 12' galvanized I beams to make a drag out of. They are only 4" beams. Should I weld them both a foot or 2 apart and put cinder blocks on it for weight?
What way should the beams be "I" or "H" I was thinking "I" for the back beam and "H" for the front one

Not sure where to put this, but kinda fits this thread.

Two balls and two brackets on this skid steer. Any guesses what they're used for?
The brackets look vaguely familiar.

Edit: Found it online, those side brackets are for a backhoe attachment. Makes good sense to direct couple to the machine instead of putting all that stress through the boom.

Still not sure what the balls are for.

bobcat balls and brackets.png

bracket again.png

Last edited:
This screenshot shows a closer pic of the two balls.

Looks like they're two different sizes, so maybe just for moving trailers. I guess they could be mounted there because this machine doesn't have enough counterweight. Seems kinda high up for trailers though.

balls.png

I doubt they're for trailers. That machine has more than enough power to move a damn big trailer. And to use either of those you'd have to raise the bucket way up and get out of the cab to lower the trailer jack on them.

I'd guess they're for some kind of attachment that uses them for lateral bracing.

I doubt they're for trailers. That machine has more than enough power to move a damn big trailer. And to use either of those you'd have to raise the bucket way up and get out of the cab to lower the trailer jack on them.

I'd guess they're for some kind of attachment that uses them for lateral bracing.
Backhoe or tree spade would be my first guesses.

Aaron Z

Backhoe or tree spade would be my first guesses.

Aaron Z
This.

The bobcat 709 and 909 series backhoe attachments use trailer style couplers to hold the backhoe tight to the machine.

Not homemade, but there were some interesting forklift attachments in this video. Given the weight of the stuff they are working with I'm not surprised that they came up with or use fork mounted beams for picks.

Not homemade, but there were some interesting forklift attachments in this video. Given the weight of the stuff they are working with I'm not surprised that they came up with or use fork mounted beams for picks.
Those are a standard attachment and you can buy them. "Forklift jb" and "forklift boom" are what you want to search.

They're not hard to make either.

Oooh...you gave me an idea.

I have two of these laying around and only one tractor....

FCRC-1-Rear-Mounted-Crane-5.jpg

I could stick a quick tack plate on that and use it on the front of the tractor or whenever I get the skidsteer I'm casually looking for.

Even better....I need to make a quick tach to 3 point adapter so i can just pin any of my 3 point implements to it. There's the use for that extra adapter plate I bought!

I made my monthly pilgrimage to the scrap yard today to pay homage to the iron gods and of course came home with more shit that i don't need but it was too cheap to pass up.

The bucket's probably a little too big for my little tractor, but I will have a bigger tractor or skid steer eventually and it'll be great for that. The back is a little worn out and split and there's one crack by one of the teeth, but all easily repairable. I may need to solicit ThePanzerFuhrer's expertise on heat straitening the bottom before I plate it back up. And the aerator was sitting next to the bucket so I had them throw it on. Need to straighten a few spikes and maybe replace a few that are missing, but it's otherwise serviceable and I have enough fuckin' grass here to justify it!

iXZDCmrsZg4ztvRANvqGX4wAk=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

Also, if anyone needs forks, they have plenty. I think they start at $100/pair for 36" and add like $20/ft for bigger ones. They have regular forklift carriage style and the pipe-mounted ones.

AKsn45I4b4AYiyLB7lhK5v9f8=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

4jlQ3Jk1KqvciA_uDL4Ryji9a=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

I made my monthly pilgrimage to the scrap yard today to pay homage to the iron gods and of course came home with more shit that i don't need but it was too cheap to pass up.

The bucket's probably a little too big for my little tractor, but I will have a bigger tractor or skid steer eventually and it'll be great for that. The back is a little worn out and split and there's one crack by one of the teeth, but all easily repairable. I may need to solicit ThePanzerFuhrer's expertise on heat straitening the bottom before I plate it back up. And the aerator was sitting next to the bucket so I had them throw it on. Need to straighten a few spikes and maybe replace a few that are missing, but it's otherwise serviceable and I have enough fuckin' grass here to justify it!

Is that SAS’d xterra in the background?

That bucket is too thin of steel to flame straighten. I’m guessing maybe a 3/16 bottom and a 5/8 inch cutting edge. That one just needs a good yield in the opposite direction. I would set that fucker on 2 4” blocks out at the edges and use a jack leg on my breaker to bend it back straight.

At home idk maybe weld a tepee with some pretty stout steel use a 50t bottle jack to Bend it back.

That bucket is too thin of steel to flame straighten. I’m guessing maybe a 3/16 bottom and a 5/8 inch cutting edge. That one just needs a good yield in the opposite direction. I would set that fucker on 2 4” blocks out at the edges and use a jack leg on my breaker to bend it back straight.

At home idk maybe weld a tepee with some pretty stout steel use a 50t bottle jack to Bend it back.

Good point. There's probably enough room to just get a bottle jack under the upper lift. The bent part is in the back bottom where it looks like someone already welded a piece of flat bar to it. For some reason in my mind I was thinking about welding a jig on the bottom outside and trying to pull it flat. :laughing:

I paid about $100 for it so if I can fix it quick and get a few years out of it, totally worth it.

Is that SAS’d xterra in the background?

Yeah, that's my buddy's. He broke it at Uwharrie a few weeks ago. We trailered it back to my place so we could tear it down later and he rode home with another friend. Ended up killing the front r&p and completely grenaded the rear R&P and detroit.

Pretty sure it was right a minute or two after I took this picture that it happened.
iFLH99EpF2KqfxvkXguJc5VPZ=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

He picked up a set of ton portals that we're going to drop under it one of these weekends soon.

I have a first gen sas'd x and a first gen Frontier (with a Ford bed..."The Nord").
hrdPJBEYqSj884asrq8zQk7RB=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

And in the background my half-sas'd hardbody that I've owned since highschool and hasn't been driven in 20 years....but I'm gonna finish it one day.

We just did another friend's first gen on leafs with slider boxes a couple months ago. The same uwharrie run was the shakeout for it. Other than the front DS needing more slip it performed flawlessly.

v8GRC0IV0TCmwWpkzGA2-RiSW=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

We probably have 15-20 solid axle rigs in our little club now. And more and more of us are trailering so shit really gets broken when you don't have to worry about driving it home!:lmao:

Yep, a little too big for my tractor. :laughing: It's heavy enough to pop the rear tires off the ground if you drop the bucket too fast. Could probably use it for light stuff like mulch and whatnot but it'd definitely try to flip me over if I had a good scoop of dirt in it.

Whatever. It'll rest in the pole barn until I get a bigger machine.
CUmxrb_BNUmLELUIHkSs-WJtS=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

Yep, a little too big for my tractor. :laughing: It's heavy enough to pop the rear tires off the ground if you drop the bucket too fast. Could probably use it for light stuff like mulch and whatnot but it'd definitely try to flip me over if I had a good scoop of dirt in it.

Whatever. It'll rest in the pole barn until I get a bigger machine.
You need a counterweight.

Top Back Refresh