What's new

Homemade Attachments for Forklifts Skidsteers and Other Equipment

So last night I was having a think and I know what to use to soften the bangs. That splitter needs a wedge at the bottom for the log to fall onto. As the log gets stabbed by the wedge it'll give up it's energy slower than hitting flat steel.

Obviously the wedge would be parallel to the cylinder stroke. Zero drawbacks to this and nothing to wear out, fail or be fucked with.

splitter wedge.png

As an owner of an older Case backhoe, you guys worrying about the "bang" are wasting your time. From the drivers seat, the engine noise is a much bigger deal. I dont have a cab like the video, just ROPS, so I listen to that noise steadily. Ear muffs (with radio :grinpimp:) cuts it down to tolerable limits. That bang sounds loud but the camera is right next to the splitter. Operator wont hear much of that at all.

Besides, to have a cut/split solution that doesnt require me to leave the seat is worth a little extra noise.

So last night I was having a think and I know what to use to soften the bangs. That splitter needs a wedge at the bottom for the log to fall onto. As the log gets stabbed by the wedge it'll give up it's energy slower than hitting flat steel.

Obviously the wedge would be parallel to the cylinder stroke. Zero drawbacks to this and nothing to wear out, fail or be fucked with.

splitter wedge.png
Look as he gets to the skinny end of the log, it's centering the log with each cut, if you put a wedge on the bottom it wouldn't center any more.
To echo what clodhopper said, you should have ear protection on and that shouldn't be anywhere near as loud from the seat.

Aaron Z

I’m still gonna make one of these for my excavator one of these days. Got the cylinder just need to figure it out.

I want to shear and split 16” oak/maple.
Shearing doesn't work well on some wood. A guy in town ran a Wood Chomper for a while. It made something like a cord of scraps for every 2-3 cords processed in birch.
It worked better if the logs were fresh cut.

Shearing doesn't work well on some wood. A guy in town ran a Wood Chomper for a while. It made something like a cord of scraps for every 2-3 cords processed in birch.
It worked better if the logs were fresh cut.
We are spoiled up here. We don’t make firewood out of pine aspen birch. We have so much oak maple and ash that’s all we use. I just want something I can use to process the small stuff. The bigger stuff the hired firewood guy will do. He can murder the 14-22” wood. 3-4 full coord a hour murder.

Fwiw that bang is nothing. I think every time it bangs is the sound of money lol.

When I get my shit together I’ll start a design and build thread on the splitter. You guys can help me figure it out. Maybe we can incorporate a 40,000 ft x lbs surestrike into it :lmao:

Fwiw that bang is nothing. I think every time it bangs is the sound of money lol.

When I get my shit together I’ll start a design and build thread on the splitter. You guys can help me figure it out. Maybe we can incorporate a 40,000 ft x lbs surestrike into it :lmao:
curved ejection chute so it launches it into a 30' high pile for you

For the backhoe attached splitter... If it were mine, I would just weld a few angle steel ribs across the bottom of that plate with the points facing down. Then rest that on top of a log round so the force gets transferred to the ground.

For the backhoe attached splitter... If it were mine, I would just weld a few angle steel ribs across the bottom of that plate with the points facing down. Then rest that on top of a log round so the force gets transferred to the ground.
That would be ok, but it’s not the solution. The purpose of that splitter is to raise it up 8’ or higher so you can make a pile. Having a 8’ tall log in the middle screws that up.

That would be ok, but it’s not the solution. The purpose of that splitter is to raise it up 8’ or higher so you can make a pile. Having a 8’ tall log in the middle screws that up.

I'm not used to splitting large quantities of wood... How tall of a pile is common? 😂

If you want to absorb the force, either bolt the bottom in place with steel or some kind of plastic springs under the bolts, or put a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" rubber underneath and bolt a piece of steel plate through it to let the wood slide vs snagging and ripping the rubber.
I'm not used to splitting large quantities of wood... How tall of a pile is common? 😂
5'-8' is common, if you are doing larger scale, 15-20' are not uncommon.

Aaron Z

Any ideas for an attachment that could shred the branches off trees up to about 10 inch diameter. Use would be brushing out a road. No concern at all about hurting the trees.

I'm thinking a length of thick 12 inch pipe with a slot cut out the back. Top and bottom sharpened and some tubing welded on so it can go on a set of forks. I searched and didn't find anything like this.

tree stripper.png

Any ideas for an attachment that could shred the branches off trees up to about 10 inch diameter. Use would be brushing out a road. No concern at all about hurting the trees.

I'm thinking a length of thick 12 inch pipe with a slot cut out the back. Top and bottom sharpened and some tubing welded on so it can go on a set of forks. I searched and didn't find anything like this.

tree stripper.png
Would never work. Trees are crooked skidsteer or tractor would never be in the same plane as the trunk. You would need to mover left right in out as you go up the tree to follow the trunk.

Boom mount brush cutter is what they use around here to murder the branches in the road right of way.

tree stripper.png

tree stripper.png
Excavator flail mower:

Aaron Z

billybob_81067

I don't think you ever posted your awesome holesaw here. Hope you don't mind if I do.

I forget the diameter. Think it was huge like 12 or 16 inches.

I don't mind at all! That was too many projects ago. The chances of you finding the pictures for it were way higher than me finding them on my computer! :lmao:

I had to google up the original thread on pirate and it said it was around 13" diameter.

I don't mind at all! That was too many projects ago. The chances of you finding the pictures for it were way higher than me finding them on my computer! :lmao:

I had to google up the original thread on pirate and it said it was around 13" diameter.
Holy shit!!!! What was it used for???

This is more of a modification of an attachment. Whoever installed the thumb on my Mini-ex was an OCD welder who was really bad at geometry. They welded the shit out of the plates attaching the aftermarket system to the dipper stick but attached it way too high up for it to function well or even properly for that matter. Instead of hacking half a mile of weld off or cutting off and rewelding the hinge pin paddock, I decided to just make a bolt on extension to the existing thumb. I think I am going to add some gussets on the outside of the overhanging fingers to brace them back to the web plate. The reason the web gusset is short is because in the fully up and boom closed position, the finger plates actually swing onto either side of the main boom.

20230227_102723.jpg

20230226_103645.jpg

Last edited:
This is more of a modification of an attachment. Whoever installed the thumb on my Mini-ex was an OCD welder who was really bad at geometry. They welded the shit out of the plates attaching the aftermarket system to the dipper stick but attached it way too high up for it to function well or even properly for that matter. Instead of hacking half a mile of weld off or cutting off and rewelding the hinge pin paddock, I decided to just make a bolt on extension to the existing thumb. I think I am going to add some gussets on the outside of the overhanging fingers to brace them back to the web plate. The reason the web gusset is short is because in the fully up and boom closed position, the finger plates actually swing onto either side of the main boom.

That looks so badass. I think the other guy used a thumb that was too short anyway. But he definitely laid down some welds... I wouldn't want to grind that off either.

If those plates ever bend you could easily add a stiffening rib on the outside. A 12" long 1" wide strip of the same 3/8" or 1/2" plate you used would do a lot to help.

Top Back Refresh