What's new

Help spend my money on a lathe

0-4 mic sets are like $60 on amazon. Chinese is fine. Throw the standards in the trash and calibrate them against 1-2-3 blocks.

Here are tools I have for my lathe. This will do 95% of what you would ever need to do.

Tool holders most used left to right.

IMG_9556.jpeg

Thats about what my selection looks like too! I have a LH insert tool, and a grooving tool, and some small Shars brand ID RH and LH internal single point threading tools, but thats about it for the tool post tooling.

I'm using one of the Dixon tool posts too, while everyone else likes the Aloris / Dorian style stuff it appears. I have a Dorian post but only one holder for it vs had several for the old Dixon.

20230403_162642 (1).jpg

Thats about what my selection looks like too! I have a LH insert tool, and a grooving tool, and some small Shars brand ID RH and LH internal single point threading tools, but thats about it for the tool post tooling.

I'm using one of the Dixon tool posts too, while everyone else likes the Aloris / Dorian style stuff it appears. I have a Dorian post but only one holder for it vs had several for the old Dixon.

20230403_162642 (1).jpg
Yeah I have that stuff too just giving him an idea what the minimum you would need to do 95% of the stuff we do. I’m on the bubble with the insert threading tools. They work beautifully but all it takes is one bump of the end shoulder to break them. Don’t take much to ruin them in a manual lathe. If you are threading off a shoulder they are perfect. I have much better luck with the hss aloris threading tool post. Much more forgiving.

So cnmg interchanges with ccmt? Both 80* rhombus?

Overkill shopping cart? Maybe, but stuff is on sale. Button inserts and extra tool holders may be unnecessary since I already have a good assortment of insert bars and 12 holders. I’d just rather not fuck around swapping out tools hence quick change tool post.

Top priorities for this machine
1. Driveline parts
2. Thread custom bolts L & R
3. Custom threaded inserts L & R
4. Opening rear output NP205 bearing bore
5. Make my own steering spool valves

Like the big tool purchase thread, nothing is ever bolt-on no matter who you buy from or how much you spent.

Overkill shopping cart? Maybe, but stuff is on sale. Button inserts and extra tool holders may be unnecessary since I already have a good assortment of insert bars and 12 holders. I’d just rather not fuck around swapping out tools hence quick change tool post.

1. Driveline parts

Like the big tool purchase thread, nothing is ever bolt-on no matter who you buy from or how much you spent.
You find you are gonna spend more on tooling and measuring than the machine costs. When I first got my machine tools I was spending tons on that stuff. Now adays it’s just replacement inserts, and nice to have tools. Like that snmg neutral tool in the first photo. Got sick of turning compound to put a 45 chamfer on stuff. Now just toss the snmg in a hit it.

1. Driveline parts

No ccmt and Cnmg are not compatible. Cnmg are typically big inserts where the ccmt are small.

Be thankful you started with the lathe. I find the mill is 2x more expensive to tool up. Between boring heads all the sizes of end mills annular cutters vises divinding heads rotary tables indicators reamers fly cutters ect it gets extremely expensive.

Luckily I don’t have space for one and although it would be useful it would just be an over priced hole placer than a surfacer. I haven’t had problems in the past finding a mill for hire that accomplished what I needed. Lathe for hire…..a lot of hard lessons learned if you want something done right….

Cnmg holder added to list.

I have a few dial indicators and digital readout crescent wrenches….uh….calipers :flipoff2:

Snoozed on a local 5pc set of micrometers the other day :homer:

1. Driveline parts

The two holders on the left are CCMT so you already have those. I'd get a set of boring bars that use that insert too since they're good for some pretty small diameter work.
1711119946654.png

Second from the left is DCMT. I've never had much luck with those, except at really high speeds.

Then your first tool on the left here is WNMG. I'd use that over CNMG, especially since you already have the holder.
1711120150540.png

IMO, you already have a pretty good collection of tooling, except for boring bars. I'd get a couple boring bars that use the same inserts for the tools you already have (CCMT and WNMG) and you'll be good for a while.

You find you are gonna spend more on tooling and measuring than the machine costs.
Not if he's a persistent cheapskate he won't. He only needs a few hundo in tooling and measuring to do ~99% of shit. It's the nice to have stuff that really drives up cost over time.

Spending $1500+ for the lathe also helps. :laughing:

Be thankful you started with the lathe. I find the mill is 2x more expensive to tool up. Between boring heads all the sizes of end mills annular cutters vises divinding heads rotary tables indicators reamers fly cutters ect it gets extremely expensive.
This is absolutely true.

The two holders on the left are CCMT so you already have those. I'd get a set of boring bars that use that insert. Bars chosen accordingly for ccmt. 👍 Ordered 50pc each of ccmt and dcmt.

Then your first tool on the left here is WNMG. I'd use that over CNMG. WNMG or WCMT? Same same? Tool says wc, Shars page says wcmt
IMG_8056.jpeg

Thanks bgaidan

Top Back Refresh