What's new

Help spend my money on a lathe

:flipoff2:?

:homer:?

:smokin:?

:barf:?

Well, it happened

1982 manufacture, 3hp, power cross feed, gap bed, foot brake and it goes whirrrrrrr. Big learning curve ahead.
IMG_7997.jpeg

:flipoff2:?

:homer:?

:smokin:?

:barf:?

Well, it happened

1982 manufacture, 3hp, power cross feed, gap bed, foot brake and it goes whirrrrrrr. Big learning curve ahead.
IMG_7997.jpeg
Mine is similar, slightly newer. I think 88. It's gray if that means anything.

Small, but so far has been only thing in my price range. Bought it last summer and haven't even unpacked it yet.

Atta boy:smokin:

I dunno if I woulda bought that one though:flipoff2:
Thanks for the encouragement. Unload and placement to come in a day or so.
I'm sure Wisco will love it.
I’m sure excited to learn. Anxiety was kinda high going into this as it was so far away and I was a little concerned it was spam. Nerves were settled once I arrived and the owner gave me a demo. My fam is pretty awesome to spend their weekend in a truck with me.
He got coolant pump and brake pedal too

:crybaby::beer:
Easter eggs once I got there
Bought it last summer and haven't even unpacked it yet.
Don’t let another summer slip by!

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. It helped me get off the porch and into a good beginner machine.

There’s a lot of neat things I learned only after I arrived to purchase. I’ll document them in the coming days. Can’t wait to put some elbow grease into everything that came with it.

Thanks for the encouragement. Unload and placement to come in a day or so.

I’m sure excited to learn. Anxiety was kinda high going into this as it was so far away and I was a little concerned it was spam. Nerves were settled once I arrived and the owner gave me a demo. My fam is pretty awesome to spend their weekend in a truck with me.

Easter eggs once I got there

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. It helped me get off the porch and into a good beginner machine.

There’s a lot of neat things I learned only after I arrived to purchase. I’ll document them in the coming days. Can’t wait to put some elbow grease into everything that came with it.
Might be a few years before I get to it. Lot of other projects first in line.

That's about 100x better than most beginner machines. Even if you end up wanting something bigger down the road, I highly doubt you'll ever want to get rid of that one.

2FF03FE9-37B7-473B-BB59-A08AAEAB2C0F.jpeg

I lucked my way into this Cincinnati at an Estate sale Thursday for $300 and got it in my garage Saturday. I have not turned it on yet but it has a 115/230 motor wired for 115. I have turned it all by hand and it all works, turns and shifts. It came with 3 boxs of tooling. I had guessed it was around 600lbs but after moving it I am guessing closer to 1000lbs. My wifes F150 was sagging bad and not enjoying life with it in the bed.

KungFooMASTA nice score!

I was in the groove and never got a chance to weigh mine. Was more focused on placement than the extra fuckery of rigging a new pick with the crane scale. Plan is to build a special lifting attachment with neutral balance. Then I’ll report back with a weight

Wayyyy less sketchy unloading on a proper driveway at home with time to kill
IMG_8020.jpeg
IMG_8021.jpeg
IMG_8027.jpeg
IMG_8029.jpeg

Going to check oil, give it a half ass cleaning, read the manual and bring some power over for it.

The dials are imperial and metric. Thank goodness.

Dunno what all you are planning on using that thing for. And it doesnt happen all that often for most folks. But being able to run something long out the back is kinda handy sometimes

😒 that part I’m not thrilled about being in the corner it sits currently, that and distance from my sub panel. But it’s the best fit. I have an alternate location but it will absolutely be in the way.

40” chuck face to wall for now.

Last edited:
I'm impressed it has a camlock spindle, I thought most of those old Jets were threaded:smokin:

😒 that part I’m not thrilled about being in the corner it sits currently, that and distance from my sub panel. But it’s the best fit. I have an alternate location but it will absolutely be in the way.

40” chuck face to wall for now.

Run it until you find it to be a problem, then punch a hole in the wall:laughing:

I think you're goona like that machine:smokin:

Run it until you find it to be a problem, then punch a hole in the wall:laughing:

I think you're goona like that machine:smokin:
🫡

:future years ahead after I’m gone:

“Why in the hell is there a doggy door 3’ up the wall????”

Great tooling setup :beer:
A real good start. 12 Shars brand holders including a couple of XL sizes, parting tool, boring bar, grooving and knurling. Insert tools are 3/4” Shars. Boring bars are no name chicom. I have a few pieces of HSS. 21 odd cutters of varying design (seen with orange $4.75 labels) AR6, ER6, ER4 labeled tools. My BIL was geeking out giving me the crash course on the insert tools and each unique design or holding technique. He’s a cnc and robotics wizard for a Canadian ag equip manufacturer. If we weren’t so far away he’d be a great asset to get me up to speed.

I'm impressed it has a camlock spindle, I thought most of those old Jets were threaded:smokin:
Seems I made a good decision. It utilizes favorable components that are still supported today. 4” D1-A I believe it is.

You'll use 2 or 3 of those carbide insert holders for like 95% of what you'll need on that machine. The other stuff will be handy for those random occasions when you need something special.

This holder and insert has been my go to for many years. They're the best I've found for turning and facing with the same tool on a smaller machine.
1710858358756.png

And I recently found holders that let you use the other two corners of the insert
1710858767877.png

One thing I'd recommend is getting a set of boring bars that use the same CCMT inserts
1710858814450.png

And also an internal threading bar
1710858948617.png

The holders and inserts are dirt cheap and adding these to what you already have, will pretty much cover anything you'd likely be making a for a while.

The holders and inserts are dirt cheap and adding these to what you already have, will pretty much cover anything you'd likely be making a for a while.
The adapters to your tool post are always the most expensive part.

The adapters to your tool post are always the most expensive part.
Oddly enough, those BXA holders are all over ebay for like $16.

I'm somewhat annoyed that I only got one holder with my Monarch and they run $150-200 apiece. :shaking:
On the bright side, it did come with the tool post and one holder....which run well over a grand alone.

The cheapest I've found the CA holders is $40 a piece on eBay. Oddly they seem more expensive on Alibaba but that site is a mess and I didn't look hard. I'd be willing to buy a dozen if it got the cost down far enough.

The cheapest I've found the CA holders is $40 a piece on eBay. Oddly they seem more expensive on Alibaba but that site is a mess and I didn't look hard. I'd be willing to buy a dozen if it got the cost down far enough.
They're abotu $37 on Aliexpress.

Alibaba's pricing is all bait and switch any way. You have to put in a request to get a real quote. On the machine's I've bought lately, I usually end up paying about 2.5x what the original price shows on the listing. Still good deals, but you have to know the game going in to it.

bgaidan thanks for adding to my wishlist
I'm always available to help other people spend money. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh