What's new

Help me buy a cheap tow rig

Yotota

Truck nerd
Member Number
Loc
SW WA
UPDATE: I bought something, pics start on page 2.

I need a functional 3/4 or 1 Ton 4X4 pickup. I abandoned my MDT plan mainly due to insurance being double on them.

I just posted a WTB ad, but I want to discuss the overall truck market. Maybe things are retarded in the PNW, or maybe I just need to get with the program.

The PNW in general sucks for trucks these days. I'm not being overly picky, mechanical condition takes priority over aesthetics, and I don't need a project to get something to a functional level. I've been hoping to keep it at or under $5k.

Needs:
Tow at least 7k up steep roads. This probably negates most small block trucks...
Long bed

Wants:
Automatic trans preferred by the wife, but I'll take a manual
Don't need a crew cab
Really don't want a smog era carbed truck

I'd love a RCLB big block or V10 gasser. I know I'm getting old because what I think of as "not too old of a truck" is 80s/90s and over 30 years old... So getting to the stage in life that it's either old and ratty, or a high dollar collector rig.

Are my expectations too high for $5k? Has the market changed that much and I'm the odd man out? Selection is so slim up here and I definitely need to look outside of my area (near Portland) but any cheaper rig needs to be seen in person and I can't waste a day for every potential POS truck.

I'm kind of rambling here. Any advice?

Last edited:
I was gunna reply with something, till you said $5000 as a benchmark....
Godspeed:flipoff2:

Last edited:
As far as PNW locale, I know what you mean. I tend to see better deals on CL and other used sites than FB Marketplace.

I would look for a 460 or 454 truck with overdrive. $5k should do it IMHO, but it may need work. Choose something with a battle you can win.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 LOW MILES - barter - trade swap

Probably be able to get for 2K. Fuel pump can be swapped in a couple of hours. Rest can be fixed when you drive it home. 100 for the fuel pump, 600 in gas to drive it back, 200? for the plane ticket to DSM. It's only about an hour or so from me. You make the deal, I'll meet you at the airport with tools, help you fix it, put food and drink into me in a romantic manner (optional:flipoff2:), drive it home. Fix the rest when you get there.
Oh, change the oil and put on a 51515 Wix before you leave. It's criminal the size of the factory filter considering the 8qt system. Plenty of room for the bigger filter. I run the XP/NAPA Platinum version of this filter. Otherwise they go into bypass before the oil change (compared to the factory filter).

peepwall.gif

i passed a crusty early 2000's F250 gasser yesterday on the side of the road. 150k miles. $5,000 on the window. cab looked "OK", bedsides were shot. suspect it lived a hard life. that's all I see in that price range near me, things like that

market sucks for trucks

1500, you could pay a shop to figure out the trans if you don't want to and still be under $5k

$3k seems kind of high, but would do everything you need even with the small block

5k is high, but make offer is nice

embrace the van love

for 4k, this is solidly the best deal going :smokin:

Last edited:
The problem with prices right now is kind of a trickle down effect. New trucks are getting 20K mark ups and people are paying it, so guys selling 5yr old trucks see that and are doing a 10K mark up and people are paying it, so guys with 10yr old trucks see that and..... you get my point. Around here trucks that were 2-3k are 5-6k and trucks that were 10-15k are 20-25k.

One other thing I have been noticing though is it seems like the guys willing to wrench on their own stuff is declining so if its a otherwise decent truck with 1 major thing wrong its going for closer to what I would think its actually valued at if your willing to put the work into it. The van thing isnt terrible idea either if you can live with a 3\4-1ton van, maybe find a box van and replace box with a flatbed then sell box.

The problem with prices right now is kind of a trickle down effect. New trucks are getting 20K mark ups and people are paying it, so guys selling 5yr old trucks see that and are doing a 10K mark up and people are paying it, so guys with 10yr old trucks see that and..... you get my point. Around here trucks that were 2-3k are 5-6k and trucks that were 10-15k are 20-25k.

One other thing I have been noticing though is it seems like the guys willing to wrench on their own stuff is declining so if its a otherwise decent truck with 1 major thing wrong its going for closer to what I would think its actually valued at if your willing to put the work into it. The van thing isnt terrible idea either if you can live with a 3\4-1ton van, maybe find a box van and replace box with a flatbed then sell box.

Huge agreement here.

I'm going to look at a work truck spec 01 F250 this Saturday. It needs a wheel bearing and has a couple dents. I can deal with that.

:lmao:

I saw this listing earlier. Looks like a TOTALLY LEGIT situation. LOL

I bet it has a lien or isn't even owned by the seller or something. That's a $10-12k truck even how it sits.

no way he would say go to dol st time of sale if it weren't ligit. loss title paperwork, dol can confirm ownership. i'd buy that truck if i had the time to.

deals are out there and prices falling.

i just bought a super clean, well maintained, one owner, with all receipts 2013 ccsb xlt 6.2 and 4.30 gears 200k miles, for $12k. didnt even offer less than asking. nada book$23850

and a just missed a way nicer 8.1 chev for 15k.

ive been hearing from everyone its recently been hard to find a cash buyer at what we think things are worth. no money in hand and everyone want to trade.

5k isn;t much to work with. i used to go to auctions a bit, for used cars everyone can drop 5k. so those rigs would go close to retail, at 10-15k most didnt have the money and thats where the deals where to be had. double the op's budget and hed could get 4x the tow rig.

DRW 1-ton van based box truck. Toss in whatever transfer case and axle you happen to have around that fits.

You're not gonna touch a 4x4 1-ton in close to the same condition for $5k. It's just how it is. The only way to get a good deal on anything in this economy is to be willing to do some work. Being lazy is expensive.

DRW 1-ton van based box truck. Toss in whatever transfer case and axle you happen to have around that fits.

You're not gonna touch a 4x4 1-ton in close to the same condition for $5k. It's just how it is. The only way to get a good deal on anything in this economy is to be willing to do some work. Being lazy is expensive.
I am guessing you have never done a 4wd conversion. “Tossing in” the right transfer case and a SD axle is a $5-10k project that will take a week or 2, if you want the gears to match, the caster to be right, bump steer not to be terrible, the brakes to work on the first pump, etc. Forget about tossing in whatever you have around.

You aren’t completely retarded, though. 1 ton vans and small box trucks are overlooked tow vehicles and you can sleep in the back.

I am guessing you have never done a 4wd conversion. “Tossing in” the right transfer case and a SD axle is a $5-10k project that will take a week or 2, if you want the gears to match, the caster to be right, bump steer not to be terrible, the brakes to work on the first pump, etc. Forget about tossing in whatever you have around.

You aren’t completely retarded, though. 1 ton vans and small box trucks are overlooked tow vehicles and you can sleep in the back.
Why are you discouraging a sketchy build thread that ends in a near-death-experience story? WE NEED CONTENT!

:flipoff2:

Why are you discouraging a sketchy build thread that ends in a near-death-experience story? WE NEED CONTENT!

:flipoff2:
I get my fill of that going to a couple of Gambler 500 ‘races’ a year. That is where we lean towards ‘can’ and away from ‘should’ drive it.

I need a functional 3/4 or 1 Ton 4X4 pickup. I abandoned my MDT plan mainly due to insurance being double on them.

I just posted a WTB ad, but I want to discuss the overall truck market. Maybe things are retarded in the PNW, or maybe I just need to get with the program.

You definitely need to get with the program... the program is out to lunch across the USA and Canada
The PNW in general sucks for trucks these days. I'm not being overly picky, mechanical condition takes priority over aesthetics, and I don't need a project to get something to a functional level. I've been hoping to keep it at or under $5k.

You won't find a mechanically solid truck for under $5k
Needs:
Tow at least 7k up steep roads. This probably negates most small block trucks...
Long bed
A newer 2000-2010 half ton will do this but the brakes will be small. The brakes on a pre-2000s truck are about the same size or smaller in three quarter ton!
Wants:
Automatic trans preferred by the wife, but I'll take a manual
Don't need a crew cab
Really don't want a smog era carbed truck

I'd love a RCLB big block or V10 gasser. I know I'm getting old because what I think of as "not too old of a truck" is 80s/90s and over 30 years old... So getting to the stage in life that it's either old and ratty, or a high dollar collector rig.

Are my expectations too high for $5k? Has the market changed that much and I'm the odd man out? Selection is so slim up here and I definitely need to look outside of my area (near Portland) but any cheaper rig needs to be seen in person and I can't waste a day for every potential POS truck.

I'm kind of rambling here. Any advice?
I found this yesterday for myself, it need a passenger side door because it's rotted out. Surprisingly the rockers and box are good... tail gate needs addressing. Passenger fender needs love or replacement.

100k kilometers so 60K miles on it... 2007. Had an engine swap at unknown K and replacement because a rad hose blew off and the driver cooked it. $9000 CAD or $7200 USD and it will need the oil pan replaced because it's rotted out... but I'm still thinking about it.

Yes it's an auto power wagon. Winch is there but the housing is corroded and split. No such thing now as a solid $5k truck

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPEG
    IMG_0871.JPEG
    580.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0872.JPEG
    IMG_0872.JPEG
    708.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0873.JPEG
    IMG_0873.JPEG
    263.9 KB · Views: 19
That can’t be a real power wagon.

That can’t be a real power wagon.
It is, I've ran the vin. The only thing I haven't done is drive it... being a plow truck that 60K miles is more like 120-180K miles of wear and tear which makes me nervous. My pictures make it look far less ratty. The shop I was visiting yesterday told me its been sitting for a while and the guy who owns it asked the shop to sell it for him. I'm only thinking about going with $8K cash and saying take it or leave it.

Gas is about $7.xx per gallon here right now so I have a hope that this is going to sit for a week or two before I low ball it.

I am guessing you have never done a 4wd conversion. “Tossing in” the right transfer case and a SD axle is a $5-10k project that will take a week or 2, if you want the gears to match,

If you commit to doing it "right" with new parts and shit yeah, you will be nickle and dimed to high heaven for all those little things. If you focus on keeping cost down you can keep it down. It's only a $5k project if you're starting from scratch and buying all new shit. Anyone with a good parts pile should be able to do it for under $2k. If you don't have a good parts pile you can't afford a $5k 1-ton tow rig.

At the end of the day this all comes down to time and money. If OP wants a 1-ton tow rig for $5k he needs to spend time and be flexible and build something.

The other options are spend more money or BDL it with a smaller tow rig. There really is no free lunch here.

Reactions: DMG
It is, I've ran the vin. The only thing I haven't done is drive it... being a plow truck that 60K miles is more like 120-180K miles of wear and tear which makes me nervous. My pictures make it look far less ratty. The shop I was visiting yesterday told me its been sitting for a while and the guy who owns it asked the shop to sell it for him. I'm only thinking about going with $8K cash and saying take it or leave it.

Gas is about $7.xx per gallon here right now so I have a hope that this is going to sit for a week or two before I low ball it.
Odd that it isn’t a crew.

The price point might get you a 2000 F250/350 v10 or 5.4.
Not ideal but the 7k lb weight is not a lot either.

Odd that it isn’t a crew.
I’ve seen two locally that are long box reg cab. The first one I dragged my feet on was a bit higher K with a 6 speed manual g56. I didn’t want a truck lifted over factory though, it had about a 4” lift in it and I didn’t want to deal with that. The modified toy goes on the trailer. I want ol’ reliable doing the towing

Top Back Refresh