What's new

Good Bolt Rifle and Caliber? Need Schooling.

The Lake City isn't for this rifle. I'll try it in it to see what it does, but I bought the Hornady Black for this rifle. If it doesn't like it, I'll shoot that through a different rifle eventually.

I took the 7.62x39 Ruger American to the range last weekend. With an acss lvpo it had no issues hitting a 6" plate at 300. I was very impressed for the setup. I know 300 is a chip shot, but x39 isn't known for being a tack driver.

Now I'm debating buying a case of the igman ammo I was using to have on hand

Since I bought mine, I know three people who have them in same caliber, 5.56. They use them on ranches for coyotes. Two are his and hers with 1x red dot sights, on racks in their his and hers Rhinos.

I also ordered 1500 rounds of Lake City SS109 green tip ammo
ss109/855 is regarded to be generally worse than lead core bullets, same for same, like m43 or m33 or LPS when compared to a lead core equivalent
the soft steel cores generally ain't too round, and they're mostly put there for cost savings since lead is spendier than steel

actual hardened AP stuff generally has a lot better concentricity of the core and a bit more care to the loading since it isn't specifically being loaded as 'cheap trash'

ETA: ah fuck me that'll teach me not reading to the end of the thread before replying

Reactions: BDK
I ended up canceling the ammo order that contained the Hornady Black. They wanted me to prove I was over 21 by uploading a picture of my license. Nope.

I ordered and received, 300 rounds of Privi Partisan 75 grain BTHP .223 Match. Was easily hitting a 12" steel target at 300 yards. I know, 300 yards isn't much for you pros, but I haven't shot much over 150 yards in a long time. Baby steps.

Ammo.com

They demanded a government ID for age verification after they charged my CC. Took four days to get the refund.

I'm interested in getting a bolt rifle. All my rifles are semi-autos, the most accurate being a "Loaded" M1a that is 90% stamped TRW NM parts. It has a 1st gen Springfield 4x14 scope. Fairly accurate but its hard to be consistent over 400 yards.

I've been shooting most of my life. I understand the basics for long range shooting. What I'm asking for are recommendations for brand, model and calibers.

Good rifle, good scope, and a standard widely used caliber with readily available commercial ammo. Would not be opposed to a custom or customized rifle if priced below $3,000 including the scope. Price isn't set, just around where I would like to be. If I'm way off base, I'm sure irate will let me know.

Would be used mostly to maintain proficiency, shooting for fun, and long distance self defense.

Not a rifle hunter. I've hunted, still enjoy bird hunting. Could be if I got hungry.

Building a house on 47 acres with a long view. I can see the approach from a long ways off, almost a mile. Dirt work dude who put in the pad is a long range hunter. He got me thinking about getting something with more distance when he was about the 5th person to remark that a good rifle would make the entire valley inaccessible. I have plans for 100, 300 and 500 yard gong targets that I can shoot at off the side patio, and a pistol range out back. 500 yards is about the max distance I will have there for a range. He recommended 7mm mag or 300 Winmag for calibers. He's a 1,000+ yard elk hunter.

With the way things are going lately, I would like to expand my reach, so to speak.

Recommendations??

Offers to build me something??

Point me in the right direction??
If your only planning on 500-600 get a .308 bolt gun and find a round that also works in your M1A. Honestly with modern BC’s I would look at realistically what your want to shoot them checkout the cost per round you want to spend. Distance like every other discipline takes practice of you lose it. Sure some people are naturals and some have fired so many 10,000’ s of rounds the muscle memory comes back right away. But for the average person it takes practice and upkeep of those skills. I know people that can consistently take a 30-06 out to 1000 but there are better round for that for sure. 800 for a .308 bolt gun should be very doable all day long if you do your part. In fact several .308 AR10’s will do that as well.

I ended up canceling the ammo order that contained the Hornady Black. They wanted me to prove I was over 21 by uploading a picture of my license. Nope.

I ordered and received, 300 rounds of Privi Partisan 75 grain BTHP .223 Match. Was easily hitting a 12" steel target at 300 yards. I know, 300 yards isn't much for you pros, but I haven't shot much over 150 yards in a long time. Baby steps.
Ive shot that same ammo from an AR out past 700, no reason you can't do the same with that bolt gun.

If your only planning on 500-600 get a .308 bolt gun and find a round that also works in your M1A. Honestly with modern BC’s I would look at realistically what your want to shoot them checkout the cost per round you want to spend. Distance like every other discipline takes practice of you lose it. Sure some people are naturals and some have fired so many 10,000’ s of rounds the muscle memory comes back right away. But for the average person it takes practice and upkeep of those skills. I know people that can consistently take a 30-06 out to 1000 but there are better round for that for sure. 800 for a .308 bolt gun should be very doable all day long if you do your part. In fact several .308 AR10’s will do that as well.
So are you saying he should return the .223 and the ammo and follow your sage advice?

:laughing:

now sonny you don't need any of them fancy new calibers
what you want is the 257 bob
nothing finer
If that were true, then there would not be the 257 Ackley improved.:flipoff2:
While I like the 257 Bob (it's a great dear cartridge out to 300 yards). It's not exactly what I would recommend for reasonably priced longish range accuracy shooting.
Kilt my first deer with a 257 roberts.:usa:

I ran 2 boxes of Privi 75 grain BTHP through it. Have my metal plate 300 yards out. That ammo and that rifle seem to work well together. Ordered 10 more boxes. I'll spend more time with it, then move out to 500 yards, which is about the max on the property due to the topography. I can shoot out back into the BLM land to get farther, but its uphill. The only thing that way is the town of Chloride, seven miles and three peaks away.
20231119_092146.jpg

I'm very happy with this little rifle. It's a great starter bolt rifle. It should keep me entertained for a long time. I'll need to order three or four T-post mounted gong targets when the house gets started.

Glad its working out for you.

Looks like you can get well past 500 from that spot.

I ran 2 boxes of Privi 75 grain BTHP through it. Have my metal plate 300 yards out. That ammo and that rifle seem to work well together. Ordered 10 more boxes. I'll spend more time with it, then move out to 500 yards, which is about the max on the property due to the topography. I can shoot out back into the BLM land to get farther, but its uphill. The only thing that way is the town of Chloride, seven miles and three peaks away.
20231119_092146.jpg

I'm very happy with this little rifle. It's a great starter bolt rifle. It should keep me entertained for a long time. I'll need to order three or four T-post mounted gong targets when the house gets started.
Nothing wrong with shooting uphill, just have to account for it if it's big rise. I shoot at Cowtown 4-6* and don't bother accounting for it. Most rangefinders will tell you inclination.

:laughing:

Yes. If you are going to play this game. A rangefinder is needed. Expecially lobbing the lil bullets

Rangefinders

I think I need to get me one of those. I walked out with a 300' fiberglass tape to set the target.
Rangefinding bino's are the deal these days. I have the Sig Kilo 10k's but you can get the 6k's work well too, the Leica and Zeiss are still the gold standard, and you pay for it. I also have a Leica 2700 monocular, (as in can range out to 2700 yards), which struggles past 1k, whereas the Kilos I've ranged large objects at over two miles.

Last edited:
Thats next on the list of shit that needs replaced. Picked up a kilo 2k when they came out. Its been decent but it has been acting up. Time for a new one

or you just lob bullets at it dialing up your holdover until you get a hit by accident

Its not a cheap game. But it is a fun one.

I want to say my kilo2k was around $450 or so. Not stupid money, but not cheap either.

Shot 60 rounds through it today. Mixed XM193, some steel case .223 crap, and 20 rounds of the Privi match. Went out to 500 yards. This little rifle hits whatever you point it at.

Also shot three 20-round mags of steel case crap through my Mini-14, and a 50 round box through my other bolt rifle, a Ranger .22LR single shot. Dad gave me the .22 when I was seven or eight. Got it from his Dad when he was about the same age. Cleaning guns now.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

My temporary range. It's right where the real range will be when the house is finished. The red tassle marker to the left of the table is the edge of the patio.
20231205_141550.jpg

Top Back Refresh