What's new

GM promises the end of their gasoline vehicles in 20 years

But what will the idiots that put stupidly loud exhausts on their motors do to be obnoxious as hell in a quiet electric car?:stirthepot: And not to mention Pedestrians being hit by quiet electric trains too.

Card in the spokes.

photo45289.jpg

I'm too poor to buy an electric truck. In 15 years itll be $100k easy for the equivalent of a crew cab dually 4x4. I guess by then I'll have to buy an electric tractor, dozer, backhoe, etc. Democrats really enjoy regulating the middle class into the ground.

I can easily go 600 miles before fillup in my truck. When I can only go half that in an EV ... On its best day, no thanks I'll wait.

Toyota is putting out a car this year. The brain trust came up w/idea adding a lithium plate inside the cathode + anode plated batteries for longer range and to stop the overheating that plagues the plain lithium-Ion battery.

We'll see-

Someone smarter than me can do the math. Using today's figures:

I'm order to replace, say 50%, of the current ICE vehicles in use with eletric counterparts. What kind of strain would that put on the grid? Where would the power come from?

how much in subsidies and backroom deals is this costing taxpayers? (Yes I know national debt doesnt matter, it's all a game now)

This. They have issues when everyone turns on their A/C in the summer. Combined with the fact they are closing coal, gas, oil, and nuke power plants. We don't have the infrastructureto support running the energy needs of everyone's transportation as well. It also gives the government the power to limit transportation on a mass scale. Remember all those people that had electric vehicles that were screwed when PG&E cut the power due to fire danger. The same will happen every time the powers at be feel threatened just like the shut off cell service in the capital during protests.

This. They have issues when everyone turns on their A/C in the summer. Combined with the fact they are closing coal, gas, oil, and nuke power plants. We don't have the infrastructureto support running the energy needs of everyone's transportation as well. It also gives the government the power to limit transportation on a mass scale. Remember all those people that had electric vehicles that were screwed when PG&E cut the power due to fire danger. The same will happen every time the powers at be feel threatened just like the shut off cell service in the capital during protests.

[AOC]Just put a solar panel and a wind turbine on top of the cat, duh! Like problem solved[/AOC]

In 15 years itll be $100k easy for the equivalent of a crew cab dually 4x4.
Just eyeballing recent truck inflation, I'd say more like 7-10 years.

Stripped down base model will have heated tailgate and built-in Keurig behind the 24" touch screen, thumbprint start, and bamboo flooring in the bed.

Toyota is putting out a car this year. The brain trust came up w/idea adding a lithium plate inside the cathode + anode plated batteries for longer range and to stop the overheating that plagues the plain lithium-Ion battery.

We'll see-

True to Toyota form, it'll have plenty of power but will get half the gas mileage/range of it's closest competitor.

Just eyeballing recent truck inflation, I'd say more like 7-10 years.

Stripped down base model will have heated tailgate and built-in Keurig behind the 24" touch screen, thumbprint start, and bamboo flooring in the bed.
F350 Lariat, SRW, crew cab short bed with the 6.7L diesel is already $83k list (co-worker is looking at replacing a 2014 with a new one), selling is closer to low $80k range.

Aaron Z

F350 Lariat, SRW, crew cab short bed with the 6.7L diesel is already $83k list (co-worker is looking at replacing a 2014 with a new one), selling is closer to low $80k range.

Aaron Z

I don’t understand the logic of paying that much for something that will be used like a truck. There probably isn’t any logic for it though, and the majority being sold won’t actually be used for anything other than a status symbol.

But what will the idiots that put stupidly loud exhausts on their motors do to be obnoxious as hell in a quiet electric car?:stirthepot: And not to mention Pedestrians being hit by quiet electric trains too.

are you kidding me? i plan on running studded tires year round, should offset it :flipoff2:

I don’t understand the logic of paying that much for something that will be used like a truck. There probably isn’t any logic for it though, and the majority being sold won’t actually be used for anything other than a status symbol.

I agree, we have a 2002 F350 and it does a great job at what we need to do, but its a 3rd vehicle, not a primary vehicle.
In the case of my co-worker I can see it making sense, they have 70k miles on their 2014 with 30k of them towing and are within a few years of retiring and RVing full time.

Aaron Z

The only noise you hear from the freeway is the tires. You don't hear the engine. :lmao: I live 1.5 miles from the interstate where the speed limit is 75. I don't usually hear traffic but when the wind blows just right or a semi has a flat tire I can hear the howl/thump.

I would disagree with "no noise" statement. I have a house that is under 1/2 mile from a freeway with a hill between them. Harleys, Hondas, and trailer brakes are easily heard... everything else is not there. Thank got winter comes and gets rid of Harleys and most Hondas(Calif drivers in snow):lmao:

Yeah I won't have a tailpipe to put an inner tube on. Never laughed so hard in my life after that.

Anyone who's never done this needs to go out and do it now. It is beyond hilarious. Sure you can watch someone do it on Youtube and giggle a little but it's just so much more impressive in real life that you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying it.

interesting. I wonder if it will be a repeat of the failed GM EV-1 :laughing:

guess now is the time to really start stockpiling small block/LS/LT engines

I watched a documentary about that and the EV1 was apparently a fantastic vehicle that the owners loved. Most of them didn't want to give them back, but they were all leased so GM owned all of them and ordered them all destroyed.

I watched a documentary about that and the EV1 was apparently a fantastic vehicle that the owners loved. Most of them didn't want to give them back, but they were all leased so GM owned all of them and ordered them all destroyed.

yes, because the cost to GM was apparently absurd.

the EV1 was trash, much like the first gen prius, but hey whatev's. it was created to meet a mandate that was later rescinded and then forcibly removed :laughing: i'm not holding my breath that GM will stick to the E-Only, but i'm also not holding my breath that they won't turn it into a play to nationalize the company yet again to paper over their shit management :rasta:

just telling you what a bunch of owners interviewed on camera said about it.

it's not like they sued gm to try and buy them or anything.
they couldn't have been that terrible if people wanted to keep them so badly.

just telling you what a bunch of owners interviewed on camera said about it.

it's not like they sued gm to try and buy them or anything.
they couldn't have been that terrible if people wanted to keep them so badly.

they absolutely did file lawsuits and shit, but they weren't paying full price for the lease as they were heavily subsidized by GM.

those virtue signaling asshole fucks in that program could EASILY have paid to have an electric conversion done to damn near any car and had their needs met likely better for far cheaper, but then it wouldn't have "had the look" :shaking:

'course, those assholes inspired the creation of tesla and such and whatnot, but still....the whole thing was stupid and based around a failed CA/CARB emissions mandate. it's no surprise they could find a dozen retards who would cry over losing their shitbox. stupid fucks can't be bothered to support any small shop though :shaking:

My understanding is that if you have a huge johnson you need to buy a big truck to haul it around.

I agree, we have a 2002 F350 and it does a great job at what we need to do, but its a 3rd vehicle, not a primary vehicle.
In the case of my co-worker I can see it making sense, they have 70k miles on their 2014 with 30k of them towing and are within a few years of retiring and RVing full time.

Aaron Z

Same. I live in logging, mining and ranching country and there is no shortage of $100,000 trucks driving around and easily 95% of the time they are doing what a Honda civic could do (ie, take 1 person from point a to b). I do respect that the other 5% of the time, they need the rest of the truck. Personally it would absolutely kill me inside to have that much money tied up in a depreciating asset that hardly gets used.
my 2nd vehicle is a 2002 F350 crew cab dually 4x4 that I bought for $4700. 95% of the time it just sits there. But when it is time to haul the camper, the jeep isn't going to cut it.
I am absolutely delighted that lots of people still buy $100k trucks though because it means I will be able to buy a fully loaded 2021 super duty for $10k.......15 years from now :smokin:

Top Back Refresh