What's new

Gm Dana 60 alternative

cagcig

Member Number
Loc
Brentwood CA
I have been looking for a front gm dana 60 without any luck. Is there any alternative besides settling for a Dana 44

Went through the same issue for my burb. I wanted to keep it mostly stock for now for the wife to drive. Dodge will work but the hubs are different. They are usually cheaper to buy than a chevy 60. Same wheel bolt pattern amd spring mounts will work.

No should about it, definitely stronger than a kingpin gm dana 60 in every way. Ok, the GM R&P will be stronger in reverse.

Aren’t passenger drop dodge 60s narrower than GM ones? Maybe not all of them, but I remember my college roommate having that issue.

Re tube a superduty 60. Should still be cheaper and stronger then a gm60

Might still be cheaper if you pay someone else to do it
I've seen the Ford 60 swap. I think this is way out my league. Any idea who could do it in the Bay Area?

Last edited:
No should about it, definitely stronger than a kingpin gm dana 60 in every way. Ok, the GM R&P will be stronger in reverse.

Aren’t passenger drop dodge 60s narrower than GM ones? Maybe not all of them, but I remember my college roommate having that issue.
Iirc it’s like an inch difference WMS

Im sure its a nice hammer and adjustable metric cresent wrench.

Dont complain about what you dont have be thankful of what you do have.

Dana 50 Dana 60, whatever. Still both on the wrong side. And me with a hammer and a cresent wrench.

Since you never said what youre working on there is a lot of options beyond just the axle.

So why do you even think you need a d60?
What drive train?

How much are you willing to spend?

There is a guy in lincoln I think who cuts the super duty ones and makes them a passenger drop. He advertises on FB. You didn't say what you were putting it in? The Dodge one is doable but the dimensions are different from the chevy. There is a Dodge one near clearlake for sale on FB for 1500. There was one or two GM in the sonoma area just recently the single wheel he wanted 2 grand for it. I just bought another a week ago in Auburn off Facebook and one off another guy in Roseville. They are out there but you literally have to be able to go at that moment and get it.

There is a guy in lincoln I think who cuts the super duty ones and makes them a passenger drop. He advertises on FB. You didn't say what you were putting it in? The Dodge one is doable but the dimensions are different from the chevy. There is a Dodge one near clearlake for sale on FB for 1500. There was one or two GM in the sonoma area just recently the single wheel he wanted 2 grand for it. I just bought another a week ago in Auburn off Facebook and one off another guy in Roseville. They are out there but you literally have to be able to go at that moment and get it.
Do they swap sides and weld on perches? The only reason I bought a gm60 is because I wanted to stay leaf sprung in my square body. I think its easy enough for anyone to cut tubes and change orientation if going with links.

Honestly, just price what you want from a reputable builder. Unless you find a BNIB GM60 you're gonna put money into it. Add up all the BS you'd upgrade, rebuild, replace and your gonna be surprised.

I've never paid big bucks for a front 60 but at $1500 for some axle that needs to be gone through I'd be weighing different options.

I think it's 2"....like 67 1/8" WMS to WMS compared to 69 1/8"....I'm old though, so my memory may be failing.

It's about 2" all on the short side too. With 40s on 4.5BS wheels and stock steering stops the tires made sweet love to leaf springs. That was a large reason I switched to a GM 60 in my new buggy.

Since you never said what youre working on there is a lot of options beyond just the axle.

So why do you even think you need a d60?
What drive train?

How much are you willing to spend?
Some clarity. My youngest daughter just bought her first Scout. She wants 40's so I learned my lesson from years on the other board and here. Buy once cry once. Drivetrain is Chevy 350, Sm 465 to a np203 205. I told her tons will not be cheap. More than she paid for the Scout.

I have a 14 bolt and an 8 lug d44 we could build that would live just fine on 37's. I have found a few d44 already with gears and lockers but they all seem expensive for questionable axles. One guy wants 3700 for a built 44 and 9". The one I listed above is asking 1500. I would rather build a 60. ECGS lists a basic build at over 8k. Might have to tell her she's paying for a d44 and 14 bolt.

Honestly, just price what you want from a reputable builder. Unless you find a BNIB GM60 you're gonna put money into it. Add up all the BS you'd upgrade, rebuild, replace and your gonna be surprised.

I've never paid big bucks for a front 60 but at $1500 for some axle that needs to be gone through I'd be weighing different options.
This. I got a 'screaming deal' years back on a NOS D60 Chevy housing....but I'm looking at $1700 in just outers to complete it, not including outer knuckles or steering arms. Doesn't make a lot of sense, considering what it costs to build a custom 609 instead or Ford SD 60 with BJ eliminators.

This. I got a 'screaming deal' years back on a NOS D60 Chevy housing....but I'm looking at $1700 in just outers to complete it, not including outer knuckles or steering arms. Doesn't make a lot of sense, considering what it costs to build a custom 609 instead or Ford SD 60 with BJ eliminators.
Could you get a next to free ford dana 50 and use the C's and everything else?

A dodge 60 is going under my Square body. I don't know the measurements and it is not in hand BUT it was in and out of a couple of trucks and was in a 74 power wagon replacing a chevy 44 in that truck:homer:.

Kinda what I'm getting at. My friend bought a complete new GM 60 in a crate from I think Boyce for 2k years ago. Those deals are pretty much gone so you looking at rehabbing a 30+ year old axle plus upgrades. At least price some stuff out. The price difference may not be as bad as you think new vs. old plus upgrades and rebuild.

Lil'John might have more information on comparisons, he was cutting certain dodge 60s down for his rigs.
A dodge kingpin is 2" narrower than Ford/Chevy at 67". I forget spring perch mounting difference and I want to say the perch on a Dodge was narrower than Chevy. Dodge works great in Land Cruisers: cut long side 7", weld on new long side perch, and have very easy 60" bullet proof axle.

I forget the end year but Dodge was an external mounted freewheel hub with no readily available 35 spline unlockers. I want to say through 87. For 88 to 93, they used internal hubs like Chevy/Ford. 35 spline drive slugs are out there. I forget the two brands I've used in the past.

There is some difference between Chevy/Dodge in the brakes and brake backing plates but my memory isn't good.

Last newer Dodge D60 I bought was ~$900 to the local freight hub(3-4 years ago)... it wasn't a rusted out piece of crap. Last one I priced was ~$1100.

Top Back Refresh