What's new

Gen 2 Ram Rear axle clunk

SomeGuyFromOlympia

Member Number

Thought that it was my U-Joints, well I was wrong

for those that know, what am I getting into here?
I am trying to prepare for the repair, I have just never done a rear end before

cliffs:
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Diesel/Auto
4x4
all stock other than the required maintenance
300+k miles

some of you are pretty sharp at this, and some of you think you are but are not and will be ignored :grinpimp:

Thanks in advance

video was done with E Brake on
Dana 80 Dana 70

still not sure if this should be in the tow rig section

Last edited:
That’s D70

My 97 Ram 2500 did similar and it was carrier bearings.

Plan on to do carrier bearings, only if races didn’t spin.

I lucked out mind didn’t spin. I threw in new set of bearings to get by until I permanent fixed it with a D80 swap.

Looks like a d80 to me but meh.

If its a posi get a gear and clutch kit. If its open meh.

Thats stacked lash. Shaft splines, gear splines, gear mesh, spider bore to carrier pin, to r & p back lash.

That’s D70

My 97 Ram 2500 did similar and it was carrier bearings.

Plan on to do carrier bearings, only if races didn’t spin.

I lucked out mind didn’t spin. I threw in new set of bearings to get by until I permanent fixed it with a D80 swap.

When you said carrier bearing in the text I was think drive shaft carrier bearing :homer:

X2 on pinion nut

If its a posi get a gear and clutch kit. If its open meh.

Thats stacked lash. Shaft splines, gear splines, gear mesh, spider bore to carrier pin, to r & p back lash.
so you are saying a full rebuild?

I haven't done anything but change the oil when it was time, I have never checked the pinion nut

But if it is wore out, it has 300k miles and I can't complain, they have been a lot of towing miles

Wellll........
I smoked mine.

But it was beat and over loaded daily with 400k.

It was 1 of the 2 that ive ever had to rebuld in over 2k diff rebuilds

D80s don't have that hump below the pinion snout and the pinion snout is almost as big as the yoke.

maxresdefault.jpg

I haven't done anything but change the oil when it was time, I have never checked the pinion nut

But if it is wore out, it has 300k miles and I can't complain, they have been a lot of towing miles

rebuilt mine at like 275k on my 05. pinion bearing went out and i was shredding pinion seals. i was actually out of town when it happened and i needed a shop to do it. cost me $1600 for all new bearings and seals: pinion, carrier, axle etc. like total newb, lots of overloaded miles towing, and i think the 6 speed is a little harder on the torque transfer.

Figure I would revisit this thread. Evidently I don't get projects done as fast as I want to imagine .

The only play that I could find is within the spider gear
If this a normal wear item?

Pics of the pin thingy, I don't think that blue stripe should be there?

1714687039004.jpeg

1714687570825.jpeg

1714687623741.jpeg

1714687655445.jpeg

The bearings and races all look ok
No glitter
The picture is without clean up, I am kind of shocked it looks this good

what am I missing?

Can we get some better pics of the spider gears themselves?

I could be wrong, but it almost looks like your spiders have excessive wear. With the discoloration on the pins and the way the spiders look, I wonder if it ran with mis-matched tires on the rear for an excessive amount of time or load.

I could be wrong, but it almost looks like your spiders have excessive wear. With the discoloration on the pins and the way the spiders look, I wonder if it ran with mis-matched tires on the rear for an excessive amount of time or load.
I have owned the truck since about mile 13 on the click, I purchased it new. Other than a flat the tires have never been mismatched.
But I agree, it seems that the loose was in the spiders

Bearings still are tight and I cant see anything else that is suspect. I just want another set of eyes because a few of you are really smart in this area :grinpimp:

Well I odered all new bearings
I put the same shims back in that came out
as of today, this is where it is sitting
One of the pinion bearings were starting to go, so I guess it was time
back lash is in spec, outer limits but still has a few thousandths
I am trying to decide if I want to mess with it anymore

1718159138123.png

Top Back Refresh