What's new

Gas Prices

Probably make bank in 15 years with a portable generator service. 3/4T gas truck with a decent sized generator in the bed. All the plugs/connectors/cords/adapters/whatever to plug into all the vehicles. Be a good side gig I'd think.

Saw $3.39 on average Tuesday in Belen NM $3.39 at our lone gas station here in town

it's been $3.09 around my town for 87 and $3.29 for #2 for a few weeks now

Out of curiosity what is it? I recently bought a chunk of 'off grid' land cheap and looked into pretty much everything and nothing was viable.

Keep reading past the 1st sentence. Particularly the rest of that paragraph....context matters here. Notice I didn't say "cheap right now".

Probably make bank in 15 years with a portable generator service. 3/4T gas truck with a decent sized generator in the bed. All the plugs/connectors/cords/adapters/whatever to plug into all the vehicles. Be a good side gig I'd think.

Doubt it. There's already advancements being made in terms of portable battery charger jump packs specifically for this purpose. Once EVs start to take a good chunk of the market, my bet is we'll see the number of gas stations shrink considerably, the supply of oil shrinking in this country, and price of fuel will go up enough to not make this worthwhile. If it doesn't happen by way of natural supply/demand economic forces, it will be forced that way via grossly increased fuel taxes.

Not to mention, you'll be competing with much larger towing outfits that will already be doing things like this.

the supply of oil shrinking in this country, and price of fuel will go up enough to not make this worthwhile. If it doesn't happen by way of natural supply/demand economic forces, it will be forced that way via grossly increased fuel taxes.
Where did you read this? Please show a source

Rig work and flow back talk in dollars per day instead of dollars per hour. $400 @ 10 hours a day would be $40 an hour. Standard shift is 12 hours though so $400 would be $33.33 an hour. Rig work and flow back suck ass. Since the dems won’t the country drill, there’s only a small fraction of the work there used to be.

Neither can they. They think YOU are the stupid one.
I took what he said as he was offered $400 less/ day than he was willing to work for, which led me to ASSume a much higher hourly or day rate.

Damn, I filled up with regular at $3.07/gal yesterday and though that was expensive :eek:

Nowhere in socal can anyone find gas for less than $4.07/gal and typically much higher than that. I'm not sure i can embrace $5 and up. In fact i know i can't, but i have to. :frown:

Paid $3.45 for 87 last fill up here in MT.

As to green power...a little story about solar and an underlying BS issue regarding the fossil fuel using electricity makers here in MT.

Had an outfit come up to given me a bid on a roof full of panels and requisite switch gear. Reasoning being MT is good, both in and out of town, for having power blips and outages with inclement weather. I'd just as soon not have a freezer full of meat go bad...

The folks show up and say "Yep we can do it and the max array is 9.9kW compliments of state regs."
Seems that the big power companies don't like having to buy power from peons so they made sure one couldn't have a net positive payback to the consumer type bill because of the size of the array. What's more, if a house is already on the grid the cost to go off grid (via permit) was almost as high as the cost to install.

The price for this and the savings? I pay $.05/kWhr cuz its tribal owned hydro so I'm not paying the 2-3x that everyone else in the state pays for either hydro or fossil fuel.
The effect on the bill was a ~50% reduction compliments of selling power back plus FED and state tax credits.
The out of pocket for the install? $30k that they would do a loan for (adjustable rate of course)
The ROI? about 20 yrs which because Im 70 yrs old is a bit too long. For the next owner of the place it makes good sense...

Keep reading past the 1st sentence. Particularly the rest of that paragraph....context matters here. Notice I didn't say "cheap right now".
You wrote:
Plenty of ways to have cheap green energy that isn't nuclear. Problem is that it's not just flip a switch, and boom! Cheap solar! Like most everything else, economy of scale comes into play, along with tech advances. It's certainly not an overnight solution.

So... what are those ways? or are you just falling back on "not right now"?

Plenty of ways... or none?

Cheap or not?

Details

Doubt it. There's already advancements being made in terms of portable battery charger jump packs specifically for this purpose.

So going by the second half of your post I assume you are talking solar. What about the places that get less than 100 'sunny' days a year. The only solar panels that get installed around here are when the power companies and the government were paying for them, even then the break even was 20 years out. That was just for offsetting costs not actually replacing conventional electricity.

Biggest problem with electric is going to be the grid, if you add 20% increase in load the majority of the grid is going to have to get redone.

JFC....you even quoted me saying "it's not an overnight solution", and still are ignoring it. I'm not "falling back on" jack shit..I never made the argument that it's available right now to begin with. :shaking:

Edit...my bad, several people that insist on cherry picking sound bites. I didn't realize I was in the CNN section here...:lmao:

It came off as' there's lots options out there that are 'cheap green' sources.' I would think anyone with half a brain could figure out electronic/solar/battery technology is only going to get better and cheaper as 'economies of scale' come into the picture.

There's a decent number of people on here that have off grid homes and buildings. Like I said I have a property that would be perfect for one but it doesn't make sense to spend 100k or more for something that will out of date in 5 years, hence the question.

So there was a miscommunication/misunderstanding. It happens. We're humans, not perfect.

I took what he said as he was offered $400 less/ day than he was willing to work for, which led me to ASSume a much higher hourly or day rate.

To go do contact directional drilling work I would need to be at $1200+/day to consider it. Had a buddy hit me up looking to fill a spot in a DJ basin rotation at $850 a day which isn't worth a divorce, being gone, and the hours especially since I love my current job.

Had a coordinator friend of mine start sending out feelers but he wouldn't tell me what it paid. For reference they had an opening and made 27 offers before they got someone willing to work for that pay.

Another buddy of mine is contemplating going to the Permian for $550/day as an MWD consultant. That isn't enough to deal with Texans in my experience.

My badd. I didn’t fully reading comprehension his post. I’m at work in the oilfield 🤣

As a consultant I was on track to make $1,700 a day. That’s not an apples to apples comparison to any other job but it’s still a shit load of money. I wouldn’t work a rig job for $400 bucks a day but that’s what kids are accepting for a days pay to be a regular ol rig hand. The directional drillers are down to getting $700 a day from $1,500 a day. No stability, jobs end and every body gets sent home in the middle of the day. Gotta be willing to be away from your family for a month at a time.

I’m making the least a day I’ve made in a long time but I’m in the middle of my 5 year plan to GTFO of the oilfield. Positioning myself for the oilfield not to exist. I never did do what my friends did and that was finance a bunch of shit - Diesel truck, huge house, toy hauler, toys, boat, timeshare, fun bags on the ol lady. I paid cash for everything. And then blew all my money traveling racing partying. So while I ended up broke like most dumbasses in the oilfield. I was never in debt. I’m sitting pretty sweet for now but like anything it’s always subject to change.

Last edited:
Gasoline varies from $1,99 to $2,34 these days :barf:

That's $ 8.85 per US gallon.

Diesel is usually slightly less.
It is bad, but we are catching you which has infrequently been the case. How's propane? Worth running instead?

It is bad, but we are catching you which has infrequently been the case. How's propane? Worth running instead?
Pane is cheaper but harder to come by so there are few cars set up for it. Most would rather have a diesel than a V8 or V10 on gas/propane

Pane is cheaper but harder to come by so there are few cars set up for it. Most would rather have a diesel than a V8 or V10 on gas/propane
By "harder to come by" you just mean that it's not at the Circle K? :laughing:
It seemed pretty easy if you knew where the pump was. I guess Bjarne has an account. We just roll up put in the code and fill up. It was in a back alley somewhere. :laughing: I think that we had to wait on one other car once or twice. Is it that tough to find?

It came off as' there's lots options out there that are 'cheap green' sources.' I would think anyone with half a brain could figure out electronic/solar/battery technology is only going to get better and cheaper as 'economies of scale' come into the picture.

There's a decent number of people on here that have off grid homes and buildings. Like I said I have a property that would be perfect for one but it doesn't make sense to spend 100k or more for something that will out of date in 5 years, hence the question.
How'd you end up looking at a 100k system? What are you doing for hvac?

My question was where do you read that the oil and gas supply is shrinking

Ok, so the answer is "no, I do not understand what 'my bet is' means". Let me help you with that. Definition of MY BET IS

It could also be described as "my opinion is as follows...", in this case regarding future events.

I suppose the ability to form one's own thoughts and opinions is lost on many these days?

Ok, so the answer is "no, I do not understand what 'my bet is' means". Let me help you with that. Definition of MY BET IS

It could also be described as "my opinion is as follows...", in this case regarding future events.

I suppose the ability to form one's own thoughts and opinions is lost on many these days?
I know what I bet means I am asking where do you hear "that oil and gas is getting scarce". Jezze are you taking lessons from SDCJ on being obtuse

To go do contact directional drilling work I would need to be at $1200+/day to consider it. Had a buddy hit me up looking to fill a spot in a DJ basin rotation at $850 a day which isn't worth a divorce, being gone, and the hours especially since I love my current job.

Had a coordinator friend of mine start sending out feelers but he wouldn't tell me what it paid. For reference they had an opening and made 27 offers before they got someone willing to work for that pay.

Another buddy of mine is contemplating going to the Permian for $550/day as an MWD consultant. That isn't enough to deal with Texans in my experience.
Certainly not bagging, was only curious. Are these contracted gigs or regular jobs?

I know what I bet means I am asking where do you hear "that oil and gas is getting scarce". Jezze are you taking lessons from SDCJ on being obtuse
So you lack the ability to differentiate between current and future events, along with people making a prediction of what may happen IN THE FUTURE, as opposed to what is happening today. Some people don't need to be told what to think, or read it somewhere, in order to form an opinion completely on their own.

I honestly don't know how to make it any clearer than that for you. I know kids that can grasp these concepts without issue.

Top Back Refresh