What's new

Full manual superduty (im really scared of computers)😂

I bought a running 6.0/ auto with the intention of doing the Cummins swap.
I shopped for one already swapped for quite a while, but could never find what I wanted.

I'm gonna have to sub. I really like this idea, but I'm just now creeping onto a PSD swap into my 95, that came with a 351/C^, and currently has a 7.3IDI/ZF5 :lmao:

Guessing more people have had similar thoughts for a build than I thought. After having a 99 F350 CCLB 7.3 (4.10\auto yuck) and a 04 F550 CCLB 6.0 4.88\ZF6 truck I really wanted to find a 05+ 6.0-6.4 F550 CCLB 4.88\ZF6 truck (or swap the trans in) and drop a 7.3 into it, SRW with military tires and bushwhacker cut out flares. I don't need the power levels the newer trucks have but like the suspension and interiors from 05+. Never got the money together and life went pear shaped so probably going to have to shelve the idea.

Zf5 should be stronger than an nv4500 by a bit, from what I've read. Same 1 1/8" input if you get dumb though.

I'm 69% done with a 12v into a 97 F350 with a zf5, planning on ~350hp, planning to not have issues with the trans.

IDK what it is that makes the 4500 such a turd. The New Process, Clark, Spicer and Eaton-Fuller 5spd transmissions that were commonly installed in MDTs from the 1960s up through the '00s were pretty much universally trouble free without being substantially larger.

Well atleast hes not renigging on the 12v like the last guy that bought a pos motored ford.......

Curious on opinions of the zf5 holding up to a 12v from op and the peanut gallery.
I used to drive a rollback with a pretty hot 7.3 psd and a ZF5 occasionally. Aside from the 3rd gear grind that they came with new, it was fine. Even loaded heavy in the mountains.

Sub'd!

I make a point not to ride in new trucks because I know I'll want one for sure

Opposite for me, newer trucks aren't as comfortable for me and too many features.

I can see the appeal, it's like overbuilt lifted luxury cars on steroids.

Have been wanting to do this to my 2008 extended cab long bed, but the $ and time (mostly the time) required has been putting it on back burner.

Probably time to accept that this wont be getting done. Wish someone sold a kit!

Following.
I swapped a P-pump 12v and a ZF6 into my 2005 Super Duty. I couldn't be happier.
Where are you in WA?
Up in the nw corner by Bellingham

Ive got a good trans and t case outve the 08 $150 with the input shaft and seal kit to bolt it to a zf or nv. trans is good but broke bellhousing pulling the motor. Poor thing was no match for the gantry…😂
8C60DA06-6817-4447-AD0A-D1FB6E487CFB.jpeg
FE07AA23-3C9A-4C07-997C-A7FD6D73A553.jpeg
B39E03D4-D6AB-49CC-8503-8470E004965A.jpeg

Last edited:
What's the bitch with an NV4500? I've been throwing 600+ rwhp at mine for 100k miles with no issue. Other than the shitty 3-4 ratio split I have nothing to complain about.
Lost 3rd gear twice, 5th once, an input shaft, cooked one towing my toy hauler and willys over the passes. They can be good if beefed up but i have the zf5 and they are very similar in strength. The zf5 just has a few less common issues than the nv4500

We used to maintain fleets for the phone company and power company all through the 80's and 90's. One thing we learned about the ZF longevity is to change the fluid every 20,000-30,000 miles.

We used to maintain fleets for the phone company and power company all through the 80's and 90's. One thing we learned about the ZF longevity is to change the fluid every 20,000-30,000 miles.
Ever use the actual manual transmission fluid? I killed the pocket bearing in a ZF 5 by putting the wrong oil in it when I was a punk kid. Then had another one and put the higher dollar ford recommended oil in it and never had another problem.

Well to reel back in the side banter i found some good info this week on the swap. Specifically the speedometer sensor. The truck has 3 but the one for the speedometer is the one one the rear axle for the abs. Thats a win less to worry about. Got a bunch of stuff ordered up from dcs, jb fab, mike, and a new zf5 slave and zf6 master along with my pedeal assembly

Well to reel back in the side banter i found some good info this week on the swap. Specifically the speedometer sensor. The truck has 3 but the one for the speedometer is the one one the rear axle for the abs. Thats a win less to worry about. Got a bunch of stuff ordered up from dcs, jb fab, mike, and a new zf5 slave and zf6 master along with my pedeal assembly
Where did you find a pedal? Junkyard or new?

Somewhere in the BDL thread on the old site is a picture of me hauling a 460/C6 in a CRV that's one generation older than that one. They get shit done. :laughing:

So slight change of plans… im not running the 205 because well i want to put it in my one ton yj since my 231 is on it’s last leg. But im going to manual shift convert the np273 and run a dodge input to bolt to the zf5. Also the price of 1410 series flanges for the 205 is more than i paid for the case and twin sticks 😂 gonna start parting out the bricknose this weekend. Have the bed, visor, intercooler, and some other stuff sold already

But im going to manual shift convert the np273 and run a dodge input to bolt to the zf5.
fail on my recent post. I wasn’t done replying and it got posted.

But anyway.

Dodge input?

I think you may want ford’s 31 spline input shaft to bolt up to zf5? Do they exist? I think NP27x only came with 23 (dodge auto), 29 (dodge manual) and 34 (ford) spline input shafts.

Top Back Refresh