What's new

Formula 1 2021

123D0CC4-5055-4EE4-95DC-260E842171A0.jpeg

Wow well that was interesting, good job Mclaren.

WTH on the other 2, good they took each other out though.. :eek:

It's like NHRA, the best race isn't always the final. Take out the two fastest drivers and it got real interesting. Botas drove magnifico, as did Smiley.

Annnnnd Max earned himself a 3 place grid penalty for the next race :homer:

Annnnnd Max earned himself a 3 place grid penalty for the next race :homer:
No culpability for not leaving enough room, Hammy clearly too his half out of the middle. That 11 second pit stop is what lead to all this. These guys are going to run out of cars by the end of the season. :laughing:

I'm not as up on the rules but that seems bullshit given the nothing penalty Hammy got for punting Max into the barriers.

No culpability for not leaving enough room, Hammy clearly too his half out of the middle. That 11 second pit stop is what lead to all this. These guys are going to run out of cars by the end of the season. :laughing:
I'm no fan of Hambone but given that particular chicane and how far Verstappan wasn't alongside, Max should have bailed across the sleeping policeman and rejoined after turn 2 rather than trying to stuff it up the inside.

What a exciting race today, Norris was in it to win it. Hope he gets more chances.
Definitely some good racing. It was interesting to see the dynamic between the respective teams and guy going for his 100th race win vs the guy going for his first.
Bet Max wasn't expecting to go from last to 2nd.

enjoyed yesterday too. Too bad for Lando, but that either would have been the best call of the day, or the worst. Race starts 5min earlier and he's got the win

enjoyed yesterday too. Too bad for Lando, but that either would have been the best call of the day, or the worst. Race starts 5min earlier and he's got the win
It was Lando's lack of experience imo. Lewis overrode his team call the first time but listened to the second. The drivers need to remember in the heat of the moment that the team has rain radar, experienced spotters around the track and info on lap times for those that have already made the switch onto wets vs what those still on slicks are doing. Their Race Engineer isn't suggesting rain tyres just because his head is getting damp :homer:.

Paraphrasing from what I recall from the footage.....
Lando ignores the first call to box
Race Egineer to Lando: "We need to stop for inters"
Lando: "SHHAAADUUUP!!!!"

Lewis ignores the first call to box to cover Lando
Race Egineer to Lewis: "We need to box for inters, radar shows the rain is going to get worse"
Lewis: "Are you sure?"
RE: "Yes"
Lewis pits

Lando's got plenty of promise, hopefully the team will use this as a teachable moment and he learns from it.

It was Lando's lack of experience imo. Lewis overrode his team call the first time but listened to the second. The drivers need to remember in the heat of the moment that the team has rain radar, experienced spotters around the track and info on lap times for those that have already made the switch onto wets vs what those still on slicks are doing. Their Race Engineer isn't suggesting rain tyres just because his head is getting damp :homer:.

Paraphrasing from what I recall from the footage.....
Lando ignores the first call to box
Race Egineer to Lando: "We need to stop for inters"
Lando: "SHHAAADUUUP!!!!"

Lewis ignores the first call to box to cover Lando
Race Egineer to Lewis: "We need to box for inters, radar shows the rain is going to get worse"
Lewis: "Are you sure?"
RE: "Yes"
Lewis pits

Lando's got plenty of promise, hopefully the team will use this as a teachable moment and he learns from it.

agree, there's an experience thing there for sure. His Engineer sure as hell didn't sound confident on that radio call, and left it open to Lando to give input. Should have been forceful to pit based on what the pit could see and Lando couldn't

Podcast I listened to made a good point. Lando had everything (the win) to lose, and would have theoretically only been P2 if he went to inters. Lewis had nothing to lose, everything to gain. 50s ahead of 3rd place, time to pit 2x if needed and still be P2, there was no risk of pulling off the slicks.

i knew they'd handle like shit with slicks in heavy rain, but jeebus those things were like they were on ice :eek: Got to wonder if that knocks down the confidence level at all

agree, there's an experience thing there for sure. His Engineer sure as hell didn't sound confident on that radio call, and left it open to Lando to give input. Should have been forceful to pit based on what the pit could see and Lando couldn't

Podcast I listened to made a good point. Lando had everything (the win) to lose, and would have theoretically only been P2 if he went to inters. Lewis had nothing to lose, everything to gain. 50s ahead of 3rd place, time to pit 2x if needed and still be P2, there was no risk of pulling off the slicks.

i knew they'd handle like shit with slicks in heavy rain, but jeebus those things were like they were on ice :eek: Got to wonder if that knocks down the confidence level at all
The McLaren engineer definitely needed to be more forceful and failing that they need to do a Merc and get the team boss on the line to read the riot act.

That's the gamble isn't it? Blink at the wrong moment and you kill the wets on a dry track or you don't blink and spend the next 3/4 of a lap driving on an ice rink trying to keep it out of the wall. I've seen it play out both ways over the years and as they say hindsight is 20/20.

Slicks aren't fun in the rain at the best of times, they're even worse on something like an F1 car that relys on high aerodynamic downforce, the heat from heavy braking and tread movement from high corner loads to keep the tyres warm. The slower the car goes, the less heat that gets put into the tyres, the less grip it has, the slower it goes...... It's a rapidly descending self propagating spiral. The lack of tread gauge on worn tyres means they lose heat much quicker especially when you add water to quench them.

Best race of the year. WTF is going on with RB pits, did they change something with the wheel hubs that they're not used to?

Best race of the year. WTF is going on with RB pits, did they change something with the wheel hubs that they're not used to?

New regulations for pit stops after the summer break. Each wheel gun now has a button for the wheel man to confirm his wheel is set. There is a programmed delay between when the gun signals a tight lug and when the wheel man can signal "go". There is also a delay from when the go signal is give to when the front jack mans signal to "go" is given. The FIA did this to slow pit stops to prevent a loose wheel incident.

In Monza, Max's front right wheel man forgot to hit is button and the time that he had to confirm the tight wheel elapsed. He then had to re-tighten the lug and confirm go.

New regulations for pit stops after the summer break. Each wheel gun now has a button for the wheel man to confirm his wheel is set. There is a programmed delay between when the gun signals a tight lug and when the wheel man can signal "go". There is also a delay from when the go signal is give to when the front jack mans signal to "go" is given. The FIA did this to slow pit stops to prevent a loose wheel incident.

In Monza, Max's front right wheel man forgot to hit is button and the time that he had to confirm the tight wheel elapsed. He then had to re-tighten the lug and confirm go.
Figured it was gear or FIA related. Thx for the info.

Slicks aren't fun in the rain at the best of times, they're even worse on something like an F1 car that relys on high aerodynamic downforce, the heat from heavy braking and tread movement from high corner loads to keep the tyres warm. The slower the car goes, the less heat that gets put into the tyres, the less grip it has, the slower it goes...... It's a rapidly descending self propagating spiral. The lack of tread gauge on worn tyres means they lose heat much quicker especially when you add water to quench them.

what locked me into realizing how important the speed/heat actually is, is when Hammond drove an older F1 car on Top Gear years back. Watching a guy that's paid to toy around in supercars struggle to do anything in the car, talking about the only way it would behave is if he went faster and faster, but mentally you want to back out, must be a crazy feeling.

Times here....
If a mechanic reacts to the completion of a stage of the pit stop process in less than 0.15 seconds, the sensor must register this as invalid, and require them to repeat their action to ensure it has been completed. Under the revised technical directive, 0.2 seconds must elapse between the final signal being given and the drivers being given the all-clear to leave the pit box, again to prevent anticipation.

The bugger is if the Mech hits the button too early he's gotta go from the ready position with his arms in the air back onto the nut for the minimum time and then hit the button again.

When was the last time they had a wheel fall off? Unrelated to a wreck?
It was this year. Car only made it to the end of the pit lane. I want to say it was Lance. Kimi had one last year. Not exactly happening all the time tho.

Anybody want to buy a pair of tickets to the F1 race at COTA in October?

Guy I race with bought them but can't make it. I can get all the details for anyone intrested.

Top Back Refresh