What's new

For all the geopolitical analyst's here, when will China invade Taiwan?

When will China invade and take over Taiwan?

• Total voters
The importance of Taiwans semiconductor manufacturing is being greatly downplayed. War would be AWFUL for everything computer. The will only sell 2 generation old tech to let someone start up and they guard the process well. It will take serious time to catch up if major war breaks out in Taiwan.

The importance of Taiwans semiconductor manufacturing is being greatly downplayed. War would be AWFUL for everything computer. The will only sell 2 generation old tech to let someone start up and they guard the process well. It will take serious time to catch up if major war breaks out in Taiwan.
You do know that TSMC is building a $38b 3nm plant in AZ, right?

In Chinese and USA eyes, and most if the world, Taiwan is part of China.

However, just like Puerto Rico, there is no real reason to fully invade any time soon. It's already owned.
Exactly. Global Political theater.

However, just like Puerto Rico, there is no real reason to fully invade any time soon. It's already owned.
No, PR is tied to us economically and the people travel freely between the two countries. This is nothing like the relationship of Taiwan and China.

According to the many articles I have been reading about this, speculative about crypto, its starting with 2gen old tech. We have to develop that tech ourselves. If they gave out the current tech china would have it be the end of the week and they lose any reason not to get more firm with Taiwan at their discretion.

Maybe TSMC knows we sold out the the Chinese decades ago?

Who knows, but now factor in the part about being down 50% on Neon production. I dont see advancement coming very fast. Most of he machines to make the semiconductors are made in he Netherlands snd there is a lot of civil unrest there and pending farming/food shortages.

Just the way I see it.

Yes they are. Calling it old generation is ignorant.

Cite your source? Anything please as I am looking for all angles on the semiconductor situation. I think its much bigger than we are being lead to believe.

I yave read tons of articles including interviews with TSMC board members and they all stated they only sell 2 gen old tech at the newest.

Cite your source? Anything please as I am looking for all angles on the semiconductor situation. I think its much bigger than we are being lead to believe.

I yave read tons of articles including interviews with TSMC board members and they all stated they only sell 2 gen old tech at the newest.
I worked in the military/defense industry for decades and I'm well versed on "high end" chips. 5nm was the "latest" as of a few years ago.
3nm is the next step in going smaller.

Sure, but pr is part of the US, just like China and taiwan.
PR enjoys being part of the US because of all the benefits without the rules of a state. Taiwan basically has nothing to do with China. (It certainly doesn’t benefit)

are they selling the tech to others if they're opening a plant here under their own name?

The difference is the people of PR want to be part of the US. They have applied for statehood more than once.
There have been numerous votes and the options were
1. status quo
2. independence
3. statehood

In 2020 they voted for statehood, but in other votes the results varied depending on the timeframe.

The difference is the people of PR want to be part of the US. They have applied for statehood more than once.
Of course they do. The already get to suck .gov's tit. Might as well get a vote to increase the flow rate.

If memory serves me correctly, Taiwan is the real China and China today is run by the revolutionaries?

I don't care about the details. The fact of the matter is that internationally, including nato and the US, Taiwan is an island OF China, same as pr is an island of the us

If memory serves me correctly, Taiwan is the real China and China today is run by the revolutionaries?
Depends on who you ask.

But yes, the nationalist real government of China went to Taiwan, effectively ceding mainland to the communists and their violent Civil War. After Mao died, in order to keep starvation at bay from the joys of communism, recognizing Beijing and the ccp as the one true China was part of the deal before they would open up. Thus ending Taiwan claim and support to validity.

Also about the time Tibet became recognized as China instead of independent

I'd agree with that. Tricky Dickie opened up to the CCP to fuck with the USSR and gain a cheap manufacturing place.
Nothing to do with government legitimacy.

are they selling the tech to others if they're opening a plant here under their own name?
Yes. It would have to be shared to a degree. And there is no way they could keep it from getting copied here. We just dont allow security tha high or punish those properly who knowingly break security.

According to the many articles I have been reading about this, speculative about crypto, its starting with 2gen old tech. We have to develop that tech ourselves. If they gave out the current tech china would have it be the end of the week and they lose any reason not to get more firm with Taiwan at their discretion.

Maybe TSMC knows we sold out the the Chinese decades ago?

Who knows, but now factor in the part about being down 50% on Neon production. I dont see advancement coming very fast. Most of he machines to make the semiconductors are made in he Netherlands snd there is a lot of civil unrest there and pending farming/food shortages.

Just the way I see it.
I’m with Fishy here, a lot of stuff that I have seen is along the same lines.

Taiwan is between a rock and a hard place, and the cutting edge tech manufacturing is what keeps them relevant.

1661529479022.jpeg

I'd agree with that. Tricky Dickie opened up to the CCP to fuck with the USSR and gain a cheap manufacturing place.
Nothing to do with government legitimacy.

It was a masterful diplomatic move by Nixon and Kissinger. It helped bring the war in Vietnam to an end, and it sent the Soviets into a panic, seeing their two biggest enemies become friendlier.

50 years later... Not so great.

It was a masterful diplomatic move by Nixon and Kissinger. It helped bring the war in Vietnam to an end, and it sent the Soviets into a panic, seeing their two biggest enemies become friendlier.

50 years later... Not so great.
Yes it did, but they fucked Taiwan in the process.

I do recall many years of unrest and civil war in the 20th century.
Sure but it's a different time. China is still a land of a thousand cultures with one culture lording over them all. I just don't see the CCP losing it's grip anytime soon. The last best chance the country had at freedom was squashed in Tiananmen Square. Economically they're headed for dark waters, but the central government doesn't mind if a few million starve, they'll come out the other side.

Well that stock has been on a tear because they're the only ones that make a UV etching machine that can make the 3nm wafers into chips, but there are lots of other tools that will be used that are made in Japan and Taiwan. I know this because my company is making custom fittings with parallel, (vs tapered like IPT), JIS threads. ASML presumably uses metric fittings, so that will be fun too.

No lol

Plenty of countries officially recognize mainland China's claim, but that's solely because it's not worth the drama not to. The US and most of the world know what the reality is and only maintain the status quo to keep trade stable. No one other than the Chinese are under any delusion that mainland China's claim to Taiwan is legit.

Top Back Refresh