What's new

First Suppressor

Toreadorranger

Atomic Test Lab Rat
Member Number
Loc
CT
Currently trying to figure out my first suppressor purchase. Use will be a few misc ARs, 5.56 SBR, 5.56 16" and .308 M5. Trying to stay around $800 with the stamp. My FFL was trying to steer me towards a dedicated 5.56 YHM can based on cost, but Id rather start with a .30 Can to allow use on all my rifles for now and branch out from there. One of my employees was pushing Omega 300s but he bought it his many years ago and wasn't aware of their current cost. Right now I'm leaning towards a Lahar-30. Anyone have feedback on a decent can in that price range?

No feedback on any specific can. I have 2 on order, and waiting on the Gov. Huxworx is who I went with as they are localish to me, and the spent gasses are expelled forward as opposed to rearward at you. I'm sure there are many in here who have experience with the pros and cons of this, so it may be a smaller issue than was presented to me but made sense on paper.

I have a YHM 5.56 suppressor that lives on an ar-15 that never gets shot, so as a first suppressor I’d probably not go that route. It’s a fine suppressor for the money, but not something I use much.

My first suppressor was a sandman-s, and that can gets used on almost every rifle that I frequently shoot.

I can’t offer any advice as to which would be better, but I’m plenty happy with my sandman-s.

I have an Omega 300 and can run it on any of my 6 or 6.5mm rifles, and if I decide to go to a 300 WM or 300 PRC, I'll be covered.

On an ARC gas gun currently.

0923231308a.jpg

I have a YHM 5.56 suppressor that lives on an ar-15 that never gets shot, so as a first suppressor I’d probably not go that route. It’s a fine suppressor for the money, but not something I use much.

My first suppressor was a sandman-s, and that can gets used on almost every rifle that I frequently shoot.

I can’t offer any advice as to which would be better, but I’m plenty happy with my sandman-s.
I have heard good things about YHM, i just wish the .30 version was cheaper.

I'm a Dead Air Sandman fan, I own all 3.
Buy once and cry once, stick with the larger well known company's for your first. They are a known commodity and you shouldn't have any disappointment.

If you're nerdy, go to NFATALK.org, they do massive metering sessions on just about every combination you can imagine and the info is free.

I have a YHM 556 Phantom. The primary reason I purchased it was because it was rated for sustained full auto fire from a short barrel with a lifetime guarantee. It is, indeed, tough. But it is made of Inconel (the same shit rocket engine exhausts are made of) and, subsequently, heavy-ish. Additionally, if you need a "weird" thread pattern QD mount for some "weird" gun, YHM has absolutely some of the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with. If i want a YHM part (clamp-on front sights, mostly) I will NOT deal directly from YHM. They do have excellent quality, however. I have "heard" quieter suppressors, to be sure. Do I wish I had bought a .30 cal can... yes... (but given that convenience I would have really considered a .45 cal can as I have a .45 pcc, too). Prolly best to have a dedicated can per caliber, though. I just infrequently use my can, is all, and don't have the tax stamp patience for a panoply of cans.

I have an Omega 300 and can run it on any of my 6 or 6.5mm rifles, and if I decide to go to a 300 WM or 300 PRC, I'll be covered.

On an ARC gas gun currently.

0923231308a.jpg
Have you noticed any impact shift with that can (meaning cold bore shot 1" -2" high)? I may be looking for a new big bore can. Was leaning towards Thunder Beast, just don't personally know anyone running them.

SilencerCo Omega 36. It’s modular so you can shorten it 2 inches. I use it mostly in the short configuration. It lives on my 10 inch 9mm sbr and my 10.5 inch 300 blackout sbr. It comes with a .36 end cap but you can get .30 and .22 end caps. It’s rated up to .338 Lapua. It’s a little more than you want to spend but it covers a wide range of calibers.

Attachments

• 24093937-0D55-46F6-8C50-3E144C3F19ED.jpeg
    24093937-0D55-46F6-8C50-3E144C3F19ED.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • BBA01CA5-E9D0-47C1-9B10-D5FDE75337B1.jpeg
    BBA01CA5-E9D0-47C1-9B10-D5FDE75337B1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
I’d agree with the “buy once, cry once” statement. You’re going to be waiting on the thing for ~ 9 months, to make an extra $200 over that amount of time you could save your empty beer cans and take them to the scrap yard.

You’re also going to end up with multiple cans over time, unless you have some weird single purpose like just for your home defense gun or a hunting rifle. I’d steer away from “one can to rule them all”, not necessarily saying don’t go with a .308 can for the first one.

Anything that’s going to be durable enough for hard use on a 5.56 SBR and also large enough to reasonably suppress .308 is going to be a big, heavy tank that you‘re not going to enjoy shooting much. I’d say pick one primary purpose and then consider versatility with other guns second, don‘t try to fit anything and everything.

I like Dead Air cans, but there are plenty of other great brands. Their Wolfman can is crazy versatile, though not rated for .308 or an SBR in 5.56. I use it on 14.5” and 18” 5.56, .300 Blackout, 7.62x39, and 9mm. It pairs well with with something like a Nomad for your other guns, which is probably one of the best “first can” choices. I have a Sandman S that pretty much lives on my 11.5” 5.56, and I just got a Nomad Ti for my bolt guns, and .300 Blackout.

Have you noticed any impact shift with that can (meaning cold bore shot 1" -2" high)? I may be looking for a new big bore can. Was leaning towards Thunder Beast, just don't personally know anyone running them.
Every can I have has a POI shift so I just direct thread all but my SOCOM which moves around between a few rifles. I haven't noticed much of a cold bore a shift.

Thunderbeast are top shelf cans.

And volume rules for db reduction, theres no real way around it, so a HP can is going to be 1 5/8 in diameter or larger to keep it from being stupid long,

A 30 cal can is more versatile than a 556 can. You can run it on a 7.62, a 6.5 or a 556.
The can I use the most is my 22lr, a quiet 22 is very handy for dispatching critters around the property.

My other can is a OSS 7.62 flow through. It works great on a multitude of rifles.
I would still like to get a OSS 556K suppressor and a 9mm.

I made my first on a form 1, built for 9mm and meant to go on a 300blk later if I decide I hate money. It wound up being serious overkill, but its semi dedicated to a 4.5" 9mm AR upper. Stupid quiet.

Considered suppressing a 5.56 but I didn't think the results were worth the effort, but I'm likely wrong.

9mm subs are comically quiet

300bo subs are very quiet and fun to shoot. They don't have near the punch of supers on game Animals.
I don't see much point in 556 subsonic.
556 gets it's lethality from velocity and fragmentation. A suppressor does make 556 more pleasant to shoot especially indoors.
One of the manufacturers, I don't remember who said in their product release that they were going to release a 6.5 suppressor in addition to their 30 and there testing showed little to no difference between the two, so they just make the .30.

300bo subs are very quiet and fun to shoot. They don't have near the punch of supers on game Animals.
I don't see much point in 556 subsonic.
556 gets it's lethality from velocity and fragmentation. A suppressor does make 556 more pleasant to shoot especially indoors.
One of the manufacturers, I don't remember who said in their product release that they were going to release a 6.5 suppressor in addition to their 30 and there testing showed little to no difference between the two, so they just make the .30.
IIRC that was Thunderbeast.

SilencerCo Omega 36. It’s modular so you can shorten it 2 inches. I use it mostly in the short configuration. It lives on my 10 inch 9mm sbr and my 10.5 inch 300 blackout sbr. It comes with a .36 end cap but you can get .30 and .22 end caps. It’s rated up to .338 Lapua. It’s a little more than you want to spend but it covers a wide range of calibers.

I’d agree with the “buy once, cry once” statement. You’re going to be waiting on the thing for ~ 9 months, to make an extra $200 over that amount of time you could save your empty beer cans and take them to the scrap yard.

I spent the day doing more research and then the afternoon watching and reading about the 36M. I have to see what my two local FFLs can do on price, but I'm leaning towards upping the budget and going with it. Right now I have a Aero EPC9 build next and would be great to be able to run it on that as well as the other three. It does appear to be a great starting can in that respect.

Worst part about is, you'll become a can snob and not want to shoot with the Neanderthals not using one.
In the PRS matches maybe 1 in 10 will be running a can, and when they're up I'll pull up my ear pro to let the sweat evap, and then forget to put them back on for the next shooter...oww. I wish everyone ran a supressor.

I went shooting with a buddy a couple weeks ago and he let one loose before I had my right plug in. I thought my ear was going to bleed. He was shooting a .300 RUM with a break. I've had most of my rifle barrels threaded and never shoot the ones that aren't.

I'm a Dead Air Sandman fan, I own all 3.
Buy once and cry once, stick with the larger well known company's for your first. They are a known commodity and you shouldn't have any disappointment.

If you're nerdy, go to NFATALK.org, they do massive metering sessions on just about every combination you can imagine and the info is free.

those cans are fine from Deadair, and i own a couple of Deadair myself, but i would stay AWAY from Deadair for a while. They have massive QC issues as DA doesnt actually make anything, its someone else that makes their cans. they are just R&D and marketing.

so... stay away from deadair until they come out on the otherside and see if they actually stay in business.

those cans are fine from Deadair, and i own a couple of Deadair myself, but i would stay AWAY from Deadair for a while. They have massive QC issues as DA doesnt actually make anything, its someone else that makes their cans. they are just R&D and marketing.

so... stay away from deadair until they come out on the otherside and see if they actually stay in business.

Damn you! I was thinking about getting a Mask .22 can from them.

Damn you! I was thinking about getting a Mask .22 can from them.

i own a mask. i dont know who made them but i dont think they have the issues the cans with fully welded baffle stacks have.

do some research on whats failing. i think the Ghost may have had a few problems, the woflman and the vast majority is the Sierra 5

i own a mask. i dont know who made them but i dont think they have the issues the cans with fully welded baffle stacks have.

do some research on whats failing. i think the Ghost may have had a few problems, the woflman and the vast majority is the Sierra 5

What would you recommend for a .22 can? I have a Sparrow that feels like it weighs 3 pounds now due to all the build up. I know about the Q Erector.

What would you recommend for a .22 can? I have a Sparrow that feels like it weighs 3 pounds now due to all the build up. I know about the Q Erector.

TBAC Takedown 22 can is pretty much tied or slightly ahead of the Mask. Supposedly the Banish is great but i dont trust Sniper Central myself (no presonal experience). then there are a bunch of other "modular" takedown cans in 22 that seem just too much of a pain in the ass and overly complicated.

The sparrow is still a top can. why dont you clean it?

and i would also pass on Q for a few reasons. but maybe thats just me

TBAC Takedown 22 can is pretty much tied or slightly ahead of the Mask. Supposedly the Banish is great but i dont trust Sniper Central myself (no presonal experience). then there are a bunch of other "modular" takedown cans in 22 that seem just too much of a pain in the ass and overly complicated.

The sparrow is still a top can. why dont you clean it?

Mostly due to the cap carbon welded on.

Any tips? I was thinking about tossing it in the oven to get it nice and hot and see if I could get the cap off.

Ultrasonic will "ruin" the finish on the outer tube but would work otherwise. If you care about that. The internals and tube are all stainless steel right?

Also you can ship it to silencerco and they'll unstick it for you and send it back

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh