What's new

Family friendly but fun, purchase advice

yes, we all do. probably been brought up in every forum here by now.
we all know that one guy, that reads all the brochures and is an expert at giving advice right? an arm chair QB.

his bad experience makes product X, junk! (honda talon) his good experience makes product Y, the best thing ever!!!! the guy that is always smarter than their boss. can tell any biz how they should improve their product. the guy that always gives advice but wont take any...

the absolute last person i would take any advice from.:lmao::stirthepot:

anyways... almost all sxs are pretty good when not terribly beat on. i know i cant do polaris because im very hard on a sxs. the new polaris looks promising but nothing i'd consider especially with the stop ride bs. the can am x3 has been outstanding for me and all of my riding friends, only one in the group has a polaris now. if x3 is on the list, you cant go wrong. just ask Crispy what his best rental units are.
i have owned and destroyed an xp1k and an x3. i'll keep doing it again and repairing the x3.
when i had the xp1k at st anthony dunes there was a can am maverick 800 iirc. it would embarass me in the rzr xp1k. that was eye opening. had less travel and power but performed better.

gotta go now, I finally found an F150 i'm going to trade my F350 in on so i can finally be safe while towing at 85mph with my family across a few states.:beer:
This is basically replacing my recreational wheeling. My samurai is dialed in perfectly but my local spot shut down and I love a wheeling weekend but realistically I'm looking at 2x a year. I want to sneak out early, go bananas, come home and clean up. Once a month in warm months and a bunch over winter. This new talon is the top of my list on paper, gotta wait to see one before I commit to another just to avoid a grass is greener situation

Be careful with Hondas warranty, they denied my sub trans for having larger tires on it, despite them advertisingthat 32s clear. The dealer was shocked enough that they covered it.

A warranty is meaningless to me anymore.
I will tell you from personal experience Honda thinks that their customers are idiots and that Honda themselves can do no wrong. We ate a sub-trans rebuild on a 2 week old 250 mile Pioneer because Honda denied it. Polaris actually covers a lot, especially if you have a good service person at a dealer to work with. If you don't plan on going crazy modding your machine the factory extended warranties are actually pretty good and usually pay for themselves.

I will tell you from personal experience Honda thinks that their customers are idiots and that Honda themselves can do no wrong. We ate a sub-trans rebuild on a 2 week old 250 mile Pioneer because Honda denied it. Polaris actually covers a lot, especially if you have a good service person at a dealer to work with. If you don't plan on going crazy modding your machine the factory extended warranties are actually pretty good and usually pay for themselves.

Thays what I got out of it as well.

I could see if it was a cv axle, steering component, ect. But it was the shift collar. 28s or 38s shouldn't matter.

Thays what I got out of it as well.

I could see if it was a cv axle, steering component, ect. But it was the shift collar. 28s or 38s shouldn't matter.
They claim it's from people shifting the machine immediately after start up or while still rolling. I've told them over and over again it's a poor design and unless you adjust your cables every 20 hours you'll probably have issues. They did come up with a new shift detent star that makes the engagement better and we haven't seen issues from any of the updated ones. But that in itself should tell Honda that it was a flawed design before.

They claim it's from people shifting the machine immediately after start up or while still rolling. I've told them over and over again it's a poor design and unless you adjust your cables every 20 hours you'll probably have issues. They did come up with a new shift detent star that makes the engagement better and we haven't seen issues from any of the updated ones. But that in itself should tell Honda that it was a flawed design before.

I couldn't believe the shift colar design. Looked like something out of the 1930s. 4 huge square teeth with sharp 90* corners, once it grinds once you're screwed.

After the first replacement, i was super careful, and would watch the light to male sure it was in gear before going. Didn't take long to happen again. I'm positive it did it more than once with the light saying it was in gear.

When it failed the 2nd time in 500 miles I was beyond :mad3: I was to the point that I was going to have to have a camera mounted showing me shifting into gear, the light coming on and it still grinding, then I was going to pursue a lemon law case. Luckily prices went up and new units were hard to find, so I was able to sell it for a little more than what I paid and I only lost out on all the accessories I added.

Honda accessories are another sore subject that I won't get into here.

But, imo, to stay on topic, if you buy a Honda don't expect it to be as reliable as the Honda rancher quads and don't expect them to fix anything after the first few months.

So waiting to see the new talon in person. With the new x vs r, R is wider but has slightly longer turning radius but more travel. Am I missing why this would make it less of a "trail" or crawler machine? Honda is hyping it as a high speed desert runner version of the X model. I always thought more travel is a plus pretty much anytime. Would you take a few inches of travel or just under a foot of turning radius in the woods? Ground clearance isn't that different either. Appreciate it, just want to make a good decision and not jump to assumptions. If the X is a better fit for my needs that's a plus because they are slowly popping up on lots around here:beer:

Here is a video someone made at the park this would see 95% of it's full capability. It's long but click anywhere and it'll give an idea, not me or anyone I know.

A little before 13 minutes in shows typical conditions.

talon specs.JPG

Talon 1000R-4
talon r.JPG

Talon 100X-4
talon x.JPG

Find a Honda Powerhouse dealer local to you, that's your best bet as to finding one in person. But Honda is also sending us 1/20th the amount of machines Polaris and Can Am are, so I don't know if the powerhouse dealers are getting most of what they produce or what.

I still think you're probably not going to love the Talon. The clutch is slipping until at least 4-5mph even in low, meaning if you try to crawl it you'll be roaching the clutch. And like it was mentioned, you have to buy a locker to put in the front because the I-4wd isn't a true locker, it's a brake controlled setup that applies the brake to the wheel it "senses" has broken traction on the front to apply it to the wheel with traction. But both front wheels never spin fully in unison.

Find a Honda Powerhouse dealer local to you, that's your best bet as to finding one in person. But Honda is also sending us 1/20th the amount of machines Polaris and Can Am are, so I don't know if the powerhouse dealers are getting most of what they produce or what.

I still think you're probably not going to love the Talon. The clutch is slipping until at least 4-5mph even in low, meaning if you try to crawl it you'll be roaching the clutch. And like it was mentioned, you have to buy a locker to put in the front because the I-4wd isn't a true locker, it's a brake controlled setup that applies the brake to the wheel it "senses" has broken traction on the front to apply it to the wheel with traction. But both front wheels never spin fully in unison.
I really thought the same but watched some videos (I know) and then saw this:

I'm mostly drawn to this over others due to the size and being able to downshift on fire roads so I can talk to my fam without stopping.

That's not how the clutch works and a trans tune from PPEI fixes all the shortcomings the trans has when going slow.

Your also wrong about the locker. The front is set up with a limited slip and the ABS deal assists it. I've had my front diff apart and know exactly what's in there, and it's not open.

I couldn't believe the shift colar design. Looked like something out of the 1930s. 4 huge square teeth with sharp 90* corners, once it grinds once you're screwed.

After the first replacement, i was super careful, and would watch the light to male sure it was in gear before going. Didn't take long to happen again. I'm positive it did it more than once with the light saying it was in gear.

When it failed the 2nd time in 500 miles I was beyond :mad3: I was to the point that I was going to have to have a camera mounted showing me shifting into gear, the light coming on and it still grinding, then I was going to pursue a lemon law case. Luckily prices went up and new units were hard to find, so I was able to sell it for a little more than what I paid and I only lost out on all the accessories I added.

Honda accessories are another sore subject that I won't get into here.

But, imo, to stay on topic, if you buy a Honda don't expect it to be as reliable as the Honda rancher quads and don't expect them to fix anything after the first few months.

Why do you always leave out that you put tracks on it and beat it in deep snow? You telling me there was no Fwd to Rev action going on? :laughing:

Why do you leave out that you put tracks on it and beat it in deep snow? You telling me there was no Fwd to Rev action going on?

I only took it out twice with tracks, only with the first sub trans. Which shouldn't matter anyway other brands don't have any trans issues with them.

Sure I'll take the blame for the first failure, bit the 2nd I was walking on egg shells with the thing.

It's a shit design, face it and be happy that your application doesn't require much forward to reverse :laughing:

That's not how the clutch works and a trans tune from PPEI fixes all the shortcomings the trans has when going slow.

Your also wrong about the locker. The front is set up with a limited slip and the ABS deal assists it. I've had my front diff apart and know exactly what's in there, and it's not open.
Well every one that I've driven the clutch isn't fully engaged until at least 5mph, granted most of the ones I've driven were brand new. I wasn't entirely sure about the front end, I just know it doesn't work nearly as well as an actual locker and we get complaints from every Talon customer we've sold to.

I really thought the same but watched some videos (I know) and then saw this:

I'm mostly drawn to this over others due to the size and being able to downshift on fire roads so I can talk to my fam without stopping.

It's not a locker and does not work as such, don't believe the hype.

It is a very good lsd, I'll give them that.

I found it louder than other sxs's you won't be able to talk to the people in the back at all.

Taking the fam North to the woods this weekend and couldn't resist searching rental places. Got a rzr xp 1000 pro for two days. Excited to see the differences and fully realize the honeymoon phase with these machines seems to be short. Similar to most new RVs and TTs

Taking the fam North to the woods this weekend and couldn't resist searching rental places. Got a rzr xp 1000 pro for two days. Excited to see the differences and fully realize the honeymoon phase with these machines seems to be short. Similar to most new RVs and TTs
Rzr Pro XP or RZR XP1000? The Pro XP will be a good comparison to the Can Am you drove. A friend of mine as a Pro XP 4 seat and enjoys it minus the fuel mileage.

it says polaris rzr pro xp4 1000 on the receipt, they only have stock photos on the website. Just excited for seat time and a new take on them. I usually jump into things quick and then look back and regret my start point. Kinda feel like the wallet and wife gods were looking down at me with the talon not being available yet:laughing:

Hmm, I'm curious if it's the turbo machine or not. Either one should give you a pretty good comparison to the Can Am though. Everyone calls the Polaris turbo machines 1000's but they're actually 929cc's, whereas the 1000's are 999cc's.

Polaris today and tomorrow, drive back from rental place was pretty underwhelming. Not nearly as comfy as the can am, hotter and louder too. Gonna get to Michigan trails to push it this afternoon :usa:
20230630_105615.jpg

That's a Pro XP, 181hp so should be decently comparable powerwise. I've heard a lot of complaints of cabin heat on those, the tunnel radiates heat from the coolant lines.

Got 3 hours of sest time in with no kids. Almost made it to Michigan lol

Legs were frying and service light came on, seats super uncomfortable. Stopped at a butcher for steaks and realized I was yelling at the guy:homer:

20230630_171524.jpg
20230630_162904.jpg
20230630_172936.jpg

How many times a year do you plan to use this thing? With rentals easily available, would it make more sense just to rent them as needed?
My local place is just over an hour but only does "tours". Called last week and the only working machine they have is an argo...

Park is a ton of fun and main reason I went nuts with the samurai. Kids are 6 and 7 now so the fog is lifting and I got more time to dick around now. If I didn't have kids I'd be on a bike 100% lol

I'll be out once or hopefully twice a month at least over winter when work is slow

Closest rentals are 3 hours. Last few weeks just happened to align nicely

Last edited:
My local place is just over an hour but only does "tours". Called last week and the only working machine they have is an argo...

Park is a ton of fun and main reason I went nuts with the samurai. Kids are 6 and 7 now so the fog is lifting and I got more time to dick around now. If I didn't have kids I'd be on a bike 100% lol

I'll be out once or hopefully twice a month at least over winter when work is slow

Closest rentals are 3 hours. Last few weeks just happened to align nicely

Oh, dude, fuck the :rainbow: sxs put the kids on bikes, it's a blast. Mine are 4, 5 and 10 and this is the first year we've gone on a family ride.

Just don't be like me and buy a bunch of old used junk bikes :laughing:

Haha my buddy has his 5 year old riding already and pushing the same thing!

Winter sucks though for bikes, wanted to build something up but I'm sick of working on rusty old parts

Haha my buddy has his 5 year old riding already and pushing the same thing!

Winter sucks though for bikes, wanted to build something up but I'm sick of working on rusty old parts
Honestly had I known bikes were a consideration I would have said fuck the SxS too. You can get yourself and all the kids brand new bikes and gear for the cost of a sport crew SxS. Get some winter gear and some studded tires, then it's a year round hobby lol.

Yes they hold their value well and would be a blast but summers are so humid here and winter rides are out of the question. Initially started browsing for kids quads. Salesman saw my wife checking out the sxs area and told her how unsafe they are etc...

Top Back Refresh