What's new

Family friendly but fun, purchase advice

Swayzeexpress

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Best comfortable family hauler is a Polaris General XP 4 seat but you'll struggle to find used. If buying used, look for low hours and miles. Japanese brands (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha) tend to be the toughest and longest lasting, but also don't have the performance or features of the other main brands (Polaris, Can-Am). Polaris and Can-ams perform great but will wear out suspension and driveline parts quicker. Any of them will break if you beat on them wrong, once again Japanese brands usually taking a little more beating before shelling major conponents.

Stay religious with your maintenance and be prepared to drop money pretty regularly on keeping the thing right, no matter what you end up with.

This was from 2020, still ring true?

Kids (6,7) asked what I wanted to do for Mt bday, told them I want to go to a daddy toy store. Was my favorite thing to do as a kid. Look at dirt bikes/atvs get a paper brochure or two, go to bed with them under my pillow and pray the atv fairies would come:) didn't happen lol

Anyway the wife was surprisingly into the 4 seater sxs market. To the point I'm gonna search for something and if I find a deal bring it home.

The off road park by my that I built up my samurai for closed off to DOT vehicles in 2020. Muddy hills, lots of trails, some open areas and rock park. Unless a pre-planned full weekend trip I haven't been wheelin wheelin with it in years (2-3) a year.

I'm looking for something that will plant the seed and get everyone excited about the sport.

Prices new are steep, and the salesman was pushy even though he knew I wasn't taking one home. Wife like the Honda 1000 five seater with flip down seats. I envisioned as sporty as possible.

Tldr: what would you pick up for a family of newbs that can handle modest terrain and hold its value well. Read a lot about Polaris not being great, they seem to be more comfort oriented but I'm constantly thinking a jap is the smart move.

What would you do? Appreciate advice

The General XP will be a good family rig but it comes with Polaris build quality. The 4 seat KRX1000 is out now and offers much better build quality and more capability in stock form with the front locker. Neither the General or the KRX are particularly fast or powerful but they do just fine. If you want more power look at the Can-Am machines or RZR Pro-R.

ETA:
I've owned a 4 seat RZR XP1000 and a 4 seat General but now have 2 KRX1000 2 seaters for the family. The 4 seat machines are generally too long and low for the trails we like to run. Also, the non-turbo engines aren't powerhouses so the 2 seaters are also better for power/weight ratio.

Last edited:
What's up with Polaris? I read a ton about build quality, is it the design or just saving costs with cheap parts?

Wife really liked the Honda 1000 5 seater with the fold down back seats and dump bed. Looks like a good cross between sport and utility but price was higher than I'd like.

Seems like lots are full, are dealers negotiating or still in the covid mindset?

Wife really liked the Honda 1000 5 seater with the fold down back seats and dump bed. Looks like a good cross between sport and utility but price was higher than I'd like.

Seems like lots are full, are dealers negotiating or still in the covid mindset?

The days of not paying full retail for toys is long over.

He seemed eager to offer 6% for 72 months when I brought up incentives lol

Jeebus. Anyone needing to finance a 4 wheeler for 6 years isn't affording it!
Haha! I just laughed politely and took his card. Point is you can tell he got used to selling shit before it came in and now has a lot full of options, no used inventory at all

What's up with Polaris? I read a ton about build quality, is it the design or just saving costs with cheap parts?
My theory after dealing with them for 10 years is that they engineer and build vehicles in house for testing, once they figure out it works they send the designs off to the cheapest outside manufacturers they can to maximize profit. That's why they perform great for a short period of time and then become massive headaches. Occasionally you get a rock solid one but you still have to maintain the fuck out of them.

If you decide to look at Can Am be aware that the commander gets really hot in the cab from the coolant lines running through the center console. I bought an insulated wrap that helps some, but it still gets pretty hot. Outside of that it’s been a good machine. The defender is solid, just not sporty at all.

We traded our 17 Honda 700-4 for a 22 1000-5. It is a huge improvement over the 700 and fits our purpose as a trail, work, and grandkid hauler. We toured a Can-Am Turbo 4 seater at Sand Hollow a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The Honda is just a better fit for us.

FWIW. I know very little about the sxs world, but I put a lot of stock in what folks from this forum have to say. The KRX seemed very popular and beefy and I recall a few guys saying they are leaps and bounds ahead of others and some were building them into ultra 4 cars.

If you decide to look at Can Am be aware that the commander gets really hot in the cab from the coolant lines running through the center console. I bought an insulated wrap that helps some, but it still gets pretty hot. Outside of that it’s been a good machine. The defender is solid, just not sporty at all.
I've heard about the heat yamaha too and good to know, that can mess up a summer ride quick. Honda/suzuki in my youth were always there for a good time with bikes and small atvs

We traded our 17 Honda 700-4 for a 22 1000-5. It is a huge improvement over the 700 and fits our purpose as a trail, work, and grandkid hauler. We toured a Can-Am Turbo 4 seater at Sand Hollow a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The Honda is just a better fit for us.
Goof info, I like the size of the 700 but have a feeling it'd get swapped out the more we use it. Where the kids comfy in those seats?

Goof info, I like the size of the 700 but have a feeling it'd get swapped out the more we use it. Where the kids comfy in those seats?

Yes the seats were ok. Rear is too small for an adult to ride very far. The 700 would only run 43 mph bouncing off the rev limiter vs around 70 mph for the 1000. The 700 also had no low range. The width is better on the 1000 and can fit 2 adults and a kid in front.

The Pioneer 1000-5 has the same basic engine/trans/transfer case as a Talon so you get the DTC transmission.:smokin: No stupid belts to deal with, real 6 speed gear box and a computerized auto clutch with the option of running the trans in auto or manual mode.

I've driven exactly 2 SxS's in my life. The first one was the Talon R I built to race short course with, and the second was Crispins brand new CanAm X3 turbo and I can say for sure after driving both I'm all set with the engine drone of a belt drive style transmission and am glad I bought something that doesn't have one.

Plus Honda..... They build quality stuff.

The Pioneer 1000-5 has the same basic engine/trans/transfer case as a Talon so you get the DTC transmission.:smokin: No stupid belts to deal with, real 6 speed gear box and a computerized auto clutch with the option of running the trans in auto or manual mode.

I've driven exactly 2 SxS's in my life. The first one was the Talon R I built to race short course with, and the second was Crispins brand new CanAm X3 turbo and I can say for sure after driving both I'm all set with the engine drone of a belt drive style transmission and am glad I bought something that doesn't have one.

Plus Honda..... They build quality stuff.

I appreciate this

Pioneer vs Talon, what are the biggest differences? Do either have a major plus or minus?

Pioneer is a utility machine, it's wide and the rear seats look miserable to ride in. I was interested in one until I looked at it for 5 mins.

I bought a 4 seat talon instead and could not have been more disappointed. Had multiple sub trans failures (terrible design) among other little issues, not to mention honda not covering some of it on a brandnew machine.

Honda add ons fit like shit and general quality was not great. Everyone can bash Polaris, but all my buddies were out riding every weekend in theirs while mine kept going back to the shop.

It was fun when it worked, the handling and trans were fun for bombing around. But the gearing was terrible for trails, Jerry clutch engagement and no front locker make it a shitty trail rig.

I sold it after a year because it was just not fun to take out and worry about breaking the whole time.

If I was looking at something along those lines, I'd go Yamaha rmaxx hands down over either honda. Or the kawk if you're fine with a long wheelbase.

Jerky clutch engagement and no front locker make it a shitty trail rig.
This along with the rear suspension geometry is why I ended up going with the KRX. The wet clutch on the KRX gives you smooth engagement that's great for crawling or anything slow and technical. The KRX is also the best riding of the Japanese machines.

My biggest turn off with the KRX, Pioneer, and other models is lack of space for packing things to go along with your trip. If you are taking a wife and kids, you are packing stuff with you. The General or Commander are more trail friendly than the Ranger or Defender and have a usable dump box/storage area. On the Pioneer, if you are using the folding seats for kids you have no box area left.

Since our state went with state-wide road access for sxs's the number of them we see on the weekends has exploded. Here's a list of what we see most of, starting with the most common:
Ranger or Defender full cab with heat/air
Polaris General
Polaris Rzr
Can Am Maverick
Can am Commander

Then a few of the Hondas, Kawasaki's, etc.

My biggest turn off with the KRX, Pioneer, and other models is lack of space for packing things to go along with your trip.
The General or any other with a dump bed does have more space but I haven't had any issues. I have packout coolers and boxes that lock in to a plate on mine.
krxcolorado.jpg

I'm in the same boat here. Looking for a simple family rig to take camping and to our cabin. I am a cheap bastard though and anything over $15k is not in my budget.

I really like the Kawasaki Teryx 4. (not KRX Teryx) The seats seem to fit 4 normal size people but it's not crazy long or low for a 4 seater. I know it won't be a powerhouse or super fast....but as long as it isn't a POS and I can trail ride a little, I will be happy with it I think.

I keep my eye on the used market locally and from 2012-2017, they tend to range in the $10-16k range depending on miles. I just missed a 2013 last Sat with 3000 miles, street legal kit, plow and trailer for $9500

My buddy has a Teryx 4. I’ve only glanced it over, not spent any time in it. They’re famously tough, but comparing it to my KRX1000 2-seater is pretty interesting. That up front engine had me a bit worried from a maintenance access and weight distribution standpoint. I haven’t heard through the grapevine that they get hot on the inside, but I would’ve expected it to.

Around here, the number of KRX1000s that we see on the trails has absolutely skyrocketed. We used to see one or two a weekend, now it seems in NEOK and AR that they’re #3 behind Polaris and Can Am. If I was willing to sacrifice a bit on the suspension, the RMaxx seems like an excellent unit, and is absolutely great looking.

For real reliability, I think Japanese is the way to go. My 2015 RZR was always broken. It somehow never stranded me, but something always needed replaced. The KRX has only seen upgrades so far, nothing that has to be done.

Renting a can am next weekend to test the waters and reaffirm to the wife I'm not jumping into another hobby head first :usa:

I have no experience with Kawi sport SxS besides the original Teryx, but I can tell you there utility machines are rock solid and Kawasaki stands behind their product better than any other manufacturer I've dealt with.

Working with a can am rental spot in WI near our go to camping area and taking a Maverick max 3 Friday and a defender max Saturday for market research purposes :dustin:

Top Back Refresh