What's new

F150 Tank Swap 3rd Gen 4runner

Toy4rnr

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
WA
1997 Toyota 4runner Limited SAS with F150 tank swap (NO BODY LIFT). Below is the parts list and information regarding this swap as well as resources and links for the products. Vehicle is running and driving and can hold WOT up to 65mph no problem, no sputters or anything.

Parts List:

Ford Fuel Vapor Valve E7DZ-9B593-A​
Ford F6TZ-9B076-AA Fuel Vapor Valve Seal​
Spectra Premium F1G1FA Fuel Tank Assembly (comes with pump, sending unit, and straps)​
Roll over valve and adapter fitting for breather line to stock filler neck (what I used, probably better solutions).​

Hoses (Be sure to measure, lengths are a guideline and I didn't use all of what I got):
Dayco 80306 2" ID flexible filler neck hose. (I suggest something different, this thing is stiff as fuck)​
1/4" ID EFI fuel line - 14 ft​
5/16" ID EFI fuel line - 7ft​
5/8" ID fuel line - 3ft​

Wire identification:
Factory wire labels (worked for my model year 1997)​
Blue/Orange = Pump positive​
White/Black = Pump ground​
Yellow/Red = Fuel gauge positive​
Brown = Ground​
Black/Red = Fuel Light (unused)​
Note: Factory sizes look anywhere from 14ga-18ga, I didn't measure, I used 12ga on my entire harness extension that's about 5ft long)​

Factory Toyota Line Sizes (I didn't adapt line sizes, hoses were more secure this way on the Ford sending unit):
5/16 is fuel supply line​
1/4 is fuel return line.​
1/4 line for canister vent.​
5/16 approx. breather hard line (I used a 10an (5/8) barbed roll over valve, the 5/8 line fit over the factory breather hard line OK, 5/16 would be better)​

Sending Unit Info:
It reads backwards, a full tank is below empty.

Option 1: Bend the arm 180* so it reads more correct, but will never be full apparently.​
Option 2: Use the Speedway unit to modify the signal to your factory cluster (what I am doing).​
Option 3: Mod the tank and put the Toyota sending unit in it (doesn't look very fun to me).​

Reference Threads:
Reference Thread I will be basing this off:​
Old ass PBB thread for another reference:​

Eimkeith Bracket:
Eimkeith F150 tank bracket if you wish to go this route (check how your bumper mounts first, if it slides over the inside of the frame this
won't work).​
General Steps:
Cut your spare tire carrier crossmember out and grind it all flush.
Cut off spare tire metal brackets with the isolators under the rear hatch.
Remove old tank, undo all the bolts, under the passenger rear seat there is a hatch to access the top of the factory fuel tank to unplug it.
Cut old lines, I cut the hardline at the bend rearward of the fitting, then used the factory spots for the canister and return lines.
Old filler neck can be removed by unbolting it underneath and in the wheel well then pulling it out of the door receptacle.
Cut your wheel well to fit your new filler neck.
Cut the filler neck where it is 2" OD (near the top where it begins to neck down).
Make a harness, reference your spectra pamphlet for harness labels. (I will try to remember to post a picture of it here also).
Cut factory toyota plug off, splice harness into Toyota wires using wire reference above.
If you don't cut the factory body support out your tank will contact that first, I reused the foam isolators from my spare tire brackets and pasted them there, but this leaves the rear of the tank not contacting anything, so I used some kneeling pad at the rear of the tank so the tank has 3 soft points of contact against the underside of the body, I did this to get it as far up as possible and also secure the tank better.
Mount tank to your vehicle, run lines, put filler neck into receptacle, plug in harness, profit.

Last edited:
Good mod, helps with weight distribution too. What year is your 4Runner? If 98 or before, the ford sending unit will read backwards. Get a Dakota digital calibrator and you can get it to work like stock. If 99+, the Ford sending unit won’t work, there’s some reference voltage sent from the dash and if the sending unit doesn’t respond within a certain range it’ll go straight to E and the low fuel light will flash.

I make a kit to adapt the Toyota sending unit onto the ford fuel pump for years 99+ if a working fuel gauge is important to you (read about that here Toyota-4Runner.org ).

I have a brand new Dorman tank for sale for $75 in Grass Valley CA if anybody needs one. Went fuel cell.

Good mod, helps with weight distribution too. What year is your 4Runner? If 98 or before, the ford sending unit will read backwards. Get a Dakota digital calibrator and you can get it to work like stock. If 99+, the Ford sending unit won’t work, there’s some reference voltage sent from the dash and if the sending unit doesn’t respond within a certain range it’ll go straight to E and the low fuel light will flash.

I make a kit to adapt the Toyota sending unit onto the ford fuel pump for years 99+ if a working fuel gauge is important to you (read about that here Toyota-4Runner.org ).
Thanks for the heads up on the calibrator, do you have a link to a specific one? I am only seeing tach and speedo calibration tools which I'm guessing will work? Idk shit about working with factory gauges. I was going to just bend the float worst case. My 4runner is a 1997, another thing I was going to look at is potentially adapting the Toy sending unit to the ford hat but probably won't go that route, last thing I want to do is cut the tank up.

Spare tire carrier cut out, roll over valve with fitting for my breather line has been fitted to the tank. I've heard it works pretty well, worst case it comes out and a fitting gets welded to the tank.
20230610_115009.jpg 20230610_124346.jpg

Fuel resistant thread locker on the interior threads and steel backed JB weld on the outside. Cleaned the inside with a magnet. Ready to test fit.
20230619_102457.jpg

Not sure where I read there was room for exhaust but there is not. I hammered the edges on the front and back of the tank also for more clearance.

20230619_110635.jpg

After cutting off the back part of my exhaust I cleaned up the frame and got it up in there. The little body crossmember under the floor needed a sledge massage, got about another 1/2" of clearance. I am happy with where it sits, straps will go on the very outer tank divots. The tank mounts that weld to the panhard cross member will be modified also i think for easier welding. During all this the 4runner lost about 10lbs of dry mud weight that shook out of various nooks lol.

20230619_135218.jpg 20230619_145358.jpg

I would have sworn that Scotty @ Addicted Offroad was able to sneak his exhaust in there....

I would have sworn that Scotty @ Addicted Offroad was able to sneak his exhaust in there....
Maybe with a 1" body lift, but I don't see how unless the tank is above the panhard crossmember. I can barely fit the mounting tabs from Eimkeith between the tank and that crossmember. The tank I have takes up like every inch of space.

Edit: Maybe if you got it really tight in that corner, but I bet 2.5" would rub somewhere.

Old tank is out, had to cut all the lines, could not get them off as I expected...
20230626_213154~2.jpg

Breather line and filler hose in the wheel well. All hard line.
20230626_202246.jpg

Little update. I wanted to reuse all 8 of the bolts for my rear bumper and the rear mounting crossmember for the tank would effectively make it impossible to insert the capture plates so I drilled some small holes into the frame and plug welded my capture plates in. One thing to note is you gotta cut them shorter for the crossmember to seat into place.

The extended harness I made.
20230704_111045.jpg

Factory wire labels (from what I found)
Blue/Orange = Pump positive
White/Black = Pump ground
Yellow/Red = Fuel gauge positive
Brown = Ground
Black/Red = Fuel Light (unused)

The Spectra tank comes with a sheet that shows you the plug pinout with labels so I just matched them up.

Additional information. I will update OP with everything I am posting throughout the thread once the swap is done so the OP has all of the proper information in a single place and any failures can be logged in the posts throughout the thread. Mostly using posts to keep notes for myself at this point and log progress. It has been slow progress mostly due to time.

Dayco 80306 2" ID flexible filler neck hose.

1/4" fuel line for return and canister
5/16" fuel line for factory sized supply
3/8" fuel line for F150 sized supply
1/4" fuel line for factory sized return
5/16" fuel line for F150 sized return
5/8" fuel line for 10AN filler breather

Small update. Eimkeith bracket won't work with my rear bumper so I have omitted all Eimkeith mounting and made my own. As for the fuel line, 3/8 feed fit really loose on the ford tank as did the 5/16's return so I shoved 5/16s onto the feed and 1/4 onto the return as that matches factory toyota anyways. It would have been done yesterday but I twisted off a Homedepot chinesium bolt in one of my mounts so picking up some G5 or G8 bolts today and seeing if I can finish it up. The filler neck hose I listed above is stiff as fuck, but it doesn't kink so pros and cons to that thing. Also the 5/8 breather line will sinch down on the stock filler neck breather tube pretty good, I left alot of extra so it runs all the way up about 8" of hard tube I left. I will get some pictures uploaded once it's in and running.

By the way, I looked around under there a bit for exhaust routing, I bet the way to fit it is to not route it below the frame, but rather keep it up high when going over the crossmember and over the frame then dropping it down on the outside of the frame instead, little tight but should work. That will be what I look into for exhaust when the time comes.

20230619_132431~2.jpg

Updated the OP. If there is any information that appears to be missing or if there are any questions or additional information that you guys would like to know and see in the OP, let me know and I will get some pictures and/or write it up.

I do want to note, I am not posting up pictures of my mounting solution as it relies on the factory panhard crossmember which I am hopefully deleting from the vehicle to replace it with some 2" x 2" 0.25 wall square tube after I get the 4 link ready to bolt in. So my mounting solution is going to change and be tucked up more than it is now. The straps will also not be straight as seen in my picture.

If your curious how far it hangs down, this is how it looks with no body lift.
20230711_204711.jpg

Last edited:
Updated the OP. If there is any information that appears to be missing or if there are any questions or additional information that you guys would like to know and see in the OP, let me know and I will get some pictures and/or write it up.

I do want to note, I am not posting up pictures of my mounting solution as it relies on the factory panhard crossmember which I am hopefully deleting from the vehicle to replace it with some 2" x 2" 0.25 wall square tube after I get the 4 link ready to bolt in. So my mounting solution is going to change and be tucked up more than it is now. The straps will also not be straight as seen in my picture.

If your curious how far it hangs down, this is how it looks with no body lift.
20230711_204711.jpg
Any updates? I’m assuming this thing is up and running now. Was it worth it? I’d like to do the swap seems pretty inexpensive upgrade and better than a fuel cell sitting in the back lol. How did the fuel calibrater work out as far as reading correctly? That’s kinda my biggest concern is having semi accurate fuel reading everything else seems straight forward mount it, extend some wire and hoses lol.

Any updates? I’m assuming this thing is up and running now. Was it worth it? I’d like to do the swap seems pretty inexpensive upgrade and better than a fuel cell sitting in the back lol. How did the fuel calibrater work out as far as reading correctly? That’s kinda my biggest concern is having semi accurate fuel reading everything else seems straight forward mount it, extend some wire and hoses lol.
Up it's up and running, still going strong no issues or anything so far. I haven't put in the calibrator yet, 4runner things have been a bit delayed after I got the tank put in. Ide say it's worth it for sure, get to keep your rear storage area. I basically drive it around right now and as soon as I get to about 1/4 from full I know I need to fill up and use my odometer. I probably have about 1-2000 miles on it. Exhaust is just dumped under the rig too still which isn't ideal. But I do see a way to route it out the back when that time comes.

Top Back Refresh