What's new

F-150 D44 knuckle failures

Scott Cee aka 2drx4

Taste the butwhole
Member Number
Loc
The middle of BC, Canada
How big of an issue is the F-150 D44 knuckle failure? Well, obviously if it fails it's pretty catastrophic. What I'm curious is how common it is, or how far you can push them before they fail? Or are these failures also the result of another issue, such as a loose spindle?

I'm only planning to run a 34" tire and not abuse it, but I have other outers (8 lug and 6 lug options) that I can use if need be. I also think I can use certain other parts to use a GM knuckle and retain the 5x5.5 bolt pattern?

Picture of the type of knuckle I'm talking about:
Fordknuckle.jpg

I have seen one fail, but the rig was heavy running 36" Swampers, a ARB and had a ram assist. He replaced with Reid. I've had mine, which are OEM 1976 knuckles, on my axle swapped Explorer with 14" coil overs and a Elocker, since 2013. They are reamed to flip the tie rod, otherwise stock. It's on the heavy side, but I don't force the steering and am light on the skinny pedal unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
I dont think ive seen one fail on a 44 that wasnt already being pushed too far.

36"+ tires & hydro assist will break them on a 1/2 ton rig.

On something light you'll probably be fine.

I'll probably be fine then.

I like that the spindle bore in them is actually big enough to get the shaft in and out even if the yokes have spread. That's something that always annoyed the crap out of me on the other variants.

Has anyone welded some reinforcements on them that made any meaningful difference, or is that a waste of time to go down that road?

The ones I’ve seen were caused by a broke shaft, the ears jump over each other and rips a ball joint out then all hell breaks loose. I flogged on mine mine pretty hard in my Cherokee on 36s never had an issue breaking one. I did weld a double shear setup together for the tie rod/drag link.

I'll probably be fine then.

I like that the spindle bore in them is actually big enough to get the shaft in and out even if the yokes have spread. That's something that always annoyed the crap out of me on the other variants.

Has anyone welded some reinforcements on them that made any meaningful difference, or is that a waste of time to go down that road?
We always plate the back side for desert use. 37" tires can rip them out when you find a ditch at speed.

Pretty much nobody breaks knuckles unless they are getting really, really stupid with it, like 36"+ tires and an equivalent amount of air beneath them.

On a straight D44 you will have tube and housing problems before you have knuckle/spindle problems. Snapping spindles is something you do after you plate your TTB.

Pretty much nobody breaks knuckles unless they are getting really, really stupid with it, like 36"+ tires and an equivalent amount of air beneath them.

On a straight D44 you will have tube and housing problems before you have knuckle/spindle problems. Snapping spindles is something you do after you plate your TTB.

That's still the case with these knuckles? I just remember back in the day everyone made a big deal about them. The much more common 6-stud D44 knuckles don't break, because as you said, everything else is weaker than them.

The "other" Ford knuckles that were common at the time (KP D60) would break if you rubbed them wrong. It might have been a case of perceived brand reputation.

Top Back Refresh