What's new

Exterior security cams

Thanks
I need to look into a wired system so the neighbors can monitor their pregnant heifers this winter without having to go outside in the cold at night

you can get do a mesh network using Ubiquity, do a 2 port POE injector running off of a solar setup and it acts like wired but using the (MIMO, I think it's called) Ubiquity you can hop a good distance. The injector is 12v and runs both the camera and AP. Prolly around $500 for everything including solar panel and battery

you can get do a mesh network using Ubiquity, do a 2 port POE injector running off of a solar setup and it acts like wired but using the (MIMO, I think it's called) Ubiquity you can hop a good distance. The injector is 12v and runs both the camera and AP. Prolly around $500 for everything including solar panel and battery

No internet! Really changed the options pen is fairly close to the house, so there is power there. Wired system with a monitor is what I need. As for your suggestion I got lost after "You can do" :flipoff2:

I've heard nothing but good things about these Tactacam cameras. They are around $100

would the cell deal work inside of a conex? I bought a Reconyx a few years ago thinking it would be the ticket, it does work very well but the batts are a PIA to change due to the location I put it and while they would last awhile for a game cam, taking pictures and videos of outside activity really drains the batteries.

would the cell deal work inside of a conex? I bought a Reconyx a few years ago thinking it would be the ticket, it does work very well but the batts are a PIA to change due to the location I put it and while they would last awhile for a game cam, taking pictures and videos of outside activity really drains the batteries.

I think he meant having the storage inside the conex incase the camera itself was stolen. With the cellular cam that won't be an issue as long as he sets it to send the pics/vids immediately instead of a delay.

I'm running a mix of GW Security and Lorex POE cameras on my place. They work decent, but probably wouldn't read a license plate unless it's parked.

I'm running a mix of GW Security and Lorex POE cameras on my place. They work decent, but probably wouldn't read a license plate unless it's parked.

I have both also, actually I think the cameras are made by the same little chinese kid. You can upgrade your cameras to higher res now, and it's cheaper to upgrade your NVR to a few TBs.

I have both also, actually I think the cameras are made by the same little chinese kid. You can upgrade your cameras to higher res now, and it's cheaper to upgrade your NVR to a few TBs.

Got a link of the upgraded cameras?

This is my problem. I dont put anything on the cloud that I'm aware of. And I dont want to, who's watching the cloud, why do people trust stuff like this?

Same with my Lorex Camara system, I have a 4k system which is decent video, but I don't have it on the internet as I don't know or trust the cloud based service to keep my shit private.

I would love to be able to check up on things with my phone though...

So for a camera dummy. Anyone make something that doesn't use the cloud that you can view on your phone? How about wireless with a 110 plug instead of batteries?

So for a camera dummy. Anyone make something that doesn't use the cloud that you can view on your phone? How about wireless with a 110 plug instead of batteries?

Look at wireless Riolink cameras.... That's what I'm going with. Cloud service is optional, or you can record to a Riolink DVR, or you can store data at the camera on a chip. I like it most for internet access from anywhere.

I like the 110v plug version, so I don't have to run cable all over the place. I plan to install around 7 - 10 cameras, some remote but with a nearby power source. Since I will break ground on the new house in the spring, it will be easier to put outlets where I want my cameras.

Great timing on this thread, I'm looking at NVR systems the last few days. House across the street is an Air BNB and it has been pulling in a lot of drifters lately who move to CO without a job or money because "it's always been the dream" :rolleyes:. Had a dude show up at my door with a toolbox full of grass asking for beer a week ago.

Don't want cloud upload or access for privacy reasons. I'm undecided on pulling wire. It would be easy to the front of the house but to get to the side it would be more of a PITA due to lofted ceiling over primary living area. Wary of going wireless for obvious reasons but it might not be so terrible. I've set up Ubiquit APs for large properties in the past and they worked great after the initial setup.

Microcenter has a WD system with four 4k wired cameras and 6tb of storage on sale right now.

Last edited:
Look at wireless Riolink cameras.... That's what I'm going with. Cloud service is optional, or you can record to a Riolink DVR, or you can store data at the camera on a chip. I like it most for internet access from anywhere.

I like the 110v plug version, so I don't have to run cable all over the place. I plan to install around 7 - 10 cameras, some remote but with a nearby power source. Since I will break ground on the new house in the spring, it will be easier to put outlets where I want my cameras.

Thanks ill check it out. Luckily when my house was built they put plugs on all the corners in the eves for Christmas lights or whatever so it will make getting power to a camera nice and easy.

Probably a system stand alone that does not require a service, or extra data plan. Nest is a good example of something that is not cheap to keep around. Each camera "tries to stay under 120 gigs a month. and if a plan is set at say 500 gig, like Xfiniti, you are going to have to pay for unlimited for $30 extra a month. The amount of camera's changes the yearly membership to their nest aware.
The amount of data just 3 cameras use, and 2 kids constantly streaming and gaming will have a sales associate at the cable company wondering if you are a day trader. :laughing:

Go to COSTCO and buy one of those 500 dollar DVR setups. No reason to have the ability to stream someone robbing you while you are helpless at work.

BTW, I have 4 nest indoor cameras for sale. Smoking deal. :flipoff2:

Great timing on this thread, I'm looking at NVR systems the last few days. House across the street is an Air BNB and it has been pulling in a lot of drifters lately who move to CO without a job or money because "it's always been the dream" :rolleyes:. Had a dude show up at my door with a toolbox full of grass asking for beer a week ago.

Don't want cloud upload or access for privacy reasons. I'm undecided on pulling wire. It would be easy to the front of the house but to get to the side it would be more of a PITA due to lofted ceiling over primary living area. Wary of going wireless for obvious reasons but it might not be so terrible. I've set up Ubiquit APs for large properties in the past and they worked great after the initial setup.

Microcenter has a WD system with four 4k wired cameras and 6tb of storage on sale right now.

why not both?

pull cable and do POE where practical, use wireless only when needed.
the more wireless cameras you have the exponentially shitty your network becomes.

I run REOLINK cameras. 5MP, POE, super easy. $500 for 8 cams.

I used the same brand but 4 camera 8MP. My wife was against the system now wants 4 more cameras! I think I was at $450 with the 1tb storage and free online access.

why not both?

pull cable and do POE where practical, use wireless only when needed.
the more wireless cameras you have the exponentially shitty your network becomes.

True, that is an option. I should be looking at networking solutions regardless. I am an android app developer so between phones, tvs, printer, and computers I have like 15 devices on the network as it is.

I skimmed pretty fast, but you want wired and you want POE and you probably want a package that is plug and play if you are asking the question. POE means you only need to run the ethernet cable and not an additional power wire. Once the wires were ran, it really was as simple as plugging in Ethernet cables.

I had cut in soffit vents in my simple single story ranch house, 9 in the front and 9 in the back. I pulled the vent closest to where I wanted the camera, drilled the hole where I wanted it and mounted the camera. Used the soffit vent to shove the wire to the middle of the attic with fish rods. Went to attic and collected all the wires into one central area. Picked a spot for the DVR unit out of sight (top of cabinet), drilled hole up into the ceiling of the cabinet and shoved the fish rods up into the attic. Went up there and taped them all to the rod and pulled them through. I had an electric outlet already up there for all the led under cabinet lights. I also dropped a HDMI cable down the cabinet and hooked it up to the TV that was on the counter. Works great, that TV never gets shut off now unless kids use it. Just always displays all 4 cameras. I feel weird now when the TV is off and I cant quickly glance to see whats going on outside. Next step with cameras, adding 4 more. 4 is not enough, even with a very rectangle shaped ranch house.

True, that is an option. I should be looking at networking solutions regardless. I am an android app developer so between phones, tvs, printer, and computers I have like 15 devices on the network as it is.

if the ones you need wireless can all be connected through a single wireless device, that also makes things much better.
so if you do a ubuiquit style deal, and do a wireless uplink to a remote AP, you use it's downlink to hook up all the cameras in your remote building to a POE switch.

if the ones you need wireless can all be connected through a single wireless device, that also makes things much better.
so if you do a ubuiquit style deal, and do a wireless uplink to a remote AP, you use it's downlink to hook up all the cameras in your remote building to a POE switch.

I'd want to put an AP in the attic for the wireless cameras and that should be good enough for all 4 corners of the home to reach. the biggest problem I have is that my cable drop and modem/router are in the basement utility room and there's not a good way to run ethernet to the main floor. None of the rest of the house is wired for cable either so I can't move the modem :homer:

I was thinking if I went wired cams the NVR would live in one of the upstairs closets and the ethernet could be run through the attic. Everything would be detached from the main network which is OK

I'd want to put an AP in the attic for the wireless cameras and that should be good enough for all 4 corners of the home to reach. the biggest problem I have is that my cable drop and modem/router are in the basement utility room and there's not a good way to run ethernet to the main floor. None of the rest of the house is wired for cable either so I can't move the modem :homer:

I was thinking if I went wired cams the NVR would live in one of the upstairs closets and the ethernet could be run through the attic. Everything would be detached from the main network which is OK

you may also consider some other form of uplink.
coax?
power line?

10 Amcrest cameras... all POE with wireless bridge between house and shop. Blue Iris software on an old Dell R710 server box. Will likely add 2 more cameras and (hopefully) a gate to the system if I can figure out (wifi) distance issues.

Been fine.

I run a lorex 2K system on a their 4K NVR. I expanded it with a ten terabyte hard drive. It will do a two week loop with 16 cameras. A little over a grand. Love this system.

Screen shot of my street cam.

Screenshot_20201217-123719_Lorex Cloud.jpg

you may also consider some other form of uplink.
coax?
power line?

Ah! hadn't thought of the powerline adapters. I've used them for an install in the past and they worked surprisingly well... as long as they are both on the same breaker circuit :homer:

Just about any package system you buy that has a NVR will allow it to be accessed though an app. Vid is stored on your NVR in your house and you configure it to be accessed via the internet. Shit isn't stored in a "cloud".

Just about any package system you buy that has a NVR will allow it to be accessed though an app. Vid is stored on your NVR in your house and you configure it to be accessed via the internet. Shit isn't stored in a "cloud".

Good to know. Thanks.

that is a really good price for the 4 cameras and a yuuge hard drive.

Why not just run cables from the basement to where you want them on the side of the house? 1 small hole in the rim joist. It's not like every other house in the neighborhood probably doesn't have cable system or other wires running up the siding anyway? :grinpimp:

My furthest PoE camera probably has about 100 foot run from the camera (detached garage) to the NVR.

that is a really good price for the 4 cameras and a yuuge hard drive.

Why not just run cables from the basement to where you want them on the side of the house? 1 small hole in the rim joist. It's not like every other house in the neighborhood probably doesn't have cable system or other wires running up the siding anyway? :grinpimp:

My furthest PoE camera probably has about 100 foot run from the camera (detached garage) to the NVR.

that's true. Mostly me being picky. I'll check it out and price out some longer cables to go with it. I even have leftover paint to douse the cable in for vertical runs up the siding. Despite all the shitbox projects in my driveway I don't have the ugliest house on the block as it is :flipoff2:

I am always reminding myself to not let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

couldn't you just have all the cameras talking up a separate wireless network from the one you use to internet on the shitter with

Top Back Refresh