What's new

Exterior security cams

Poopyface

Member Number
Thinking of putting up some cameras around the house and property.

Whats a good system that's easy on the wallet?

EasyEST on the wallet is Wyze, at $20/camera. i've got one v2.0 outside in a gang box on the wall, amd it's done fine. The 3.0 come out next month, amd it's waterproof.

They also have a wireless battery version like the Arlo.

I am using a Blink system, not really a security system, since you find out after the event

I'm using Lorex POE cams (~$100 ea) to an ebay lease return tower (~$180) running Ispy (free, has subscription options for notifications and cloud/youtube upload and other stuff), remote moitoring with Teamviewer (free). Spool of Cat5e was cheap as well as the ends and crimps. Been lazily lookin for some kinda wireless storage in case someone decides to steal the tower.

Last edited:
Mrs picked up a system that will mainly cover the front of the property, she says it can be viewed remotely. I’ll know more after Christmas

I run REOLINK cameras. 5MP, POE, super easy. $500 for 8 cams.

zoneminder on an old PC with a NAS hard drive and the POE cameras of your choice.

I'm using Lorex POE cams (~$100 ea)

they run these at my old work, wiring them up was way easy and the video quality is pretty decent
I think they're doing some stupid cloud bullshit for the storage though which brings up... concerns of mine.

[486 said:
;n231529]

they run these at my old work, wiring them up was way easy and the video quality is pretty decent
I think they're doing some stupid cloud bullshit for the storage though which brings up... concerns of mine.

zoneminder

Arlo. Check them out. I know a few people with them that are happy.

[486 said:
;n231546]
I'd be all over that if I had internet at my place. Be able to watch the methheads looking around when I'm not there.

it can be entirely offline.
not that it does any good for prevention, but perhaps for identifying your particular crack heads.

it also can set event alarms.

[486 said:
;n231529]

Yes, wiring is easy. Video quality is good. I don't trust the cloud, hence local incognito storage. POE is the only way to go IMO. <obligatory [486] butt joke>. Lorex, Hikvision, Samsung are good shit AKAIK.

I have Blink cams at my house and shop. I can check them from anywhere. I can put them anywhere. Good night vision and a ton of storage. The only downside is they call for energizer lithiums and if you have a bunch of cams it gets expensive.

I am making something to hold 2 rechargeable 18650s with a buck converter to correct the voltage that will reduce the frequency of battery changes and bring cost down as I tear down more free laptop batteries. in my first test they seem to work great.

Anyone found wireless cams like the Arlos or Reolink that can be monitored/recorded locally and not cloud based? I have a synlogy NAS that can handle the recording but really want the wireless and battery life that those cameras offer. Seems like they're pretty much tied to their own cloud platform though.

I'll second PoE cameras if you're going with a wired system. I use Annke systems from Amazon, they seem to work pretty well for me.

20201213080450226_624292e9b32941828307f33b6f05ee94_E34206613.jpg

Last edited:
Looking mostly for wireless rechargeable units but how are you guys getting the wires of the cams into the house? I have solar for all my exterior lights so I have not had to run any wires to the interior yet.

Looking mostly for wireless rechargeable units but how are you guys getting the wires of the cams into the house? I have solar for all my exterior lights so I have not had to run any wires to the interior yet.

Running Lorex wire free. Battery life is pretty good, they pair with the DVR easy, and send text alerts with any event. but are dependent on how good your internet and cell service is as far as getting alerts. I have not been able to communicate with it some times cell service, sometimes home internet.
but everything has always been saved to the dvr.

literally "Wirefree" mount to the wall, plug in battery.

1080p res. but no full time monitoring, max 30 sec recording tripped by motion. but you can get a live view to look, plus sound.

I've got a couple of Blink cameras at home. Cheap, easy to set up, and no cloud.

I need a solution for my storage lot where my business trucks and tools are stored. People have been nosing around at least twice. Over one weekend, I had a ladder stolen and locks on the conex damaged. They stole a Tahoe that belonged to a tenant I sublease to, and a new dump trailer from a lot adjacent to mine. If they had gotten into my conex, they could have easily driven away with $200k worth of trucks, trailers, and equipment. Since then locks have been upgraded and I installed a solar motion light. Yesterday morning we found a hat in the lot that no one had seen before, and today we noticed the motion light was missing.

Problem with my lot is there is no power. I need something like a weatherproof solar game cam with remote storage I could put inside the conex in case the camera gets stolen. Are there any options for that or do I just need to drop the coin on a 4g cell camera?

[486 said:
;n231529]

This is my problem. I dont put anything on the cloud that I'm aware of. And I dont want to, who's watching the cloud, why do people trust stuff like this?

Running Lorex wire free. Battery life is pretty good, they pair with the DVR easy, and send text alerts with any event. but are dependent on how good your internet and cell service is as far as getting alerts. I have not been able to communicate with it some times cell service, sometimes home internet.
but everything has always been saved to the dvr.

literally "Wirefree" mount to the wall, plug in battery.

1080p res. but no full time monitoring, max 30 sec recording tripped by motion. but you can get a live view to look, plus sound.

Would something like that work with the wired system I currently have? I am looking to add some outdoor cameras and I cannot run wires to them.

roblem with my lot is there is no power. I need something like a weatherproof solar game cam with remote storage I could put inside the conex in case the camera gets stolen. Are there any options for that or do I just need to drop the coin on a 4g cell camera?

you need a yard dog

Would something like that work with the wired system I currently have? I am looking to add some outdoor cameras and I cannot run wires to them.

I don't think it integrates with a wired system, I wanted to do a hybrid wired/wire free and I think I needed two systems, they wouldn't work together.

I'll second PoE cameras if you're going with a wired system. I use Annke systems from Amazon, they seem to work pretty well for me.
Thanks
I need to look into a wired system so the neighbors can monitor their pregnant heifers this winter without having to go outside in the cold at night

Reolink off Amazon. 8mp, PoE. Reolinks interface, web and mobile apps are all straight forward and easily customizable. Nothing goes to the cloud that I am aware of.

I did a wireless bridge from the house to the shop and added outside LED dusk till dawn wall packs while I had the lift rented.

The whole system turned out a lot better than expected.

Problem with my lot is there is no power. I need something like a weatherproof solar game cam with remote storage I could put inside the conex in case the camera gets stolen. Are there any options for that or do I just need to drop the coin on a 4g cell camera?

I've heard nothing but good things about these Tactacam cameras. They are around $100

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh