What's new

Explorer 5.0 PS pump

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Explorer.jpg

I was finally able to drive the explorer. The steering is slower than I would like. It would be fine for crawling, but too slow for large turns at speed. I read through the CBR Steering Pumps - OEM thread in general https://irate4x4.com/general-4x4/246...cations/page12

I was convinced that my issue was the orifice size on the flow control valve. Per that thread the stock CB pump had and orifice size of 0.133" ID PSC lists their flow orifice at 0.160" ID for the -6 fitting and 0.180" for the -8 fitting. I pulled my flow control valve to find that the orifice was huge 0.241, but the spool valve below it had a plunger like an internal bypass in a shock.

CBR Flow Control Valve.jpg

See the piece inside the needle nose pliers. I'm assuming it has and OD of 0.170. This reduces the area inside the orifice to a net area equivalent to 0.160 or almost the same as what PSC lists theirs as.

So I'd stumped.

Last edited:
I finally got my explorer motor going in my ranger. I ran the stock pump with a Toyota box and 1.75x8” ram. Steering was slow.

finally was able to get a psc cbr pump on from another project as I do a motor swap on that and it will go to a p pump. I had to modify the bracket and shim the pump back with washers to get the belts to line up but works great.

hope this helps someone trying to decide wether to go junkyard or just shell out the cash.

A guy near me swapped a saginaw pump onto his explorer 5.0. I'll see if I can find pictures

-6 to the ram and box -8 and -12 to the reservoir.

Just to close the loop on this thread for those not following the cbr thread in general. In stock form I measured the flow the pump puts at 3gpm at 1000 pump rpm. I increased the flow control spring wire dia by 0.010 and the gpm jumped from 3gpm to 4 gpm. I believe my steering issues were that the eaton steering valve is rated for 4gpm to 8gpm. At 3gpm stock I did not have enough flow for the steering valve to operate smoothly. Now at 4gpm I can easily turn the wheel as fast as possible at stationary Idle.

Top Back Refresh