What's new

Dune(ish) Buggy

Actually, to my comment about blasting through Baja, here is the setup from the previously posted buggy. The King coilover shocks have been removed at the moment, but you can see the setup.

IMG_6945edit.JPG

IMG_6946edit.JPG

The torsion springs have been removed from the beam and replaced with threaded rods to hold the arms on and the coilovers mount to the lower arm. That did literally survive blasting through Baja. Again, it is a rear engine buggy with very little weight on the front, though.

That is very clever! As long as the spindles themselves should be strong enough (potentially more weight but less abuse) things should be fine.

What's the deal that one spindle is hollow for the speedo drive? Seem to recall something about plugging the hole with a bolt.

Yes, the speedo drive goes through the driver's side spindle. Here's a pic - that's the cable end coming out the middle:
Speedo.jpg

Then the cap holds it in place with a c-clip:
Cap.JPG

I forget if the OEM spindles were solid on the passenger side, but I think most of them are open centers:
Spindle.png

I'd have to look, but I think there is a rubber plug to seal the backside of the passenger spindle. I'll look at things when I get back in to the Shop.

I won't be needing the speedo drive as I have one on the tranny I'll be using. If there is a hack to strengthen the spindles with a bolt or something, I'm all for it.

An urban myth, then. I've seen vids where the owner of a rail proudly states that that hole is filled with a bolt.

I guess if drilling a hole lengthwise through metal weakened the starch out of it we'd be building chassis out of solid rod.

If anything, I'd think the issue would be water/mud getting into the bearings if you're doing water crossings or mud bogging with a rail.

If it is a strength issue, I fail to see how putting a bolt into the hole adds any strength. :confused:

If anything, I'd think the issue would be water/mud getting into the bearings if you're doing water crossings or mud bogging with a rail.

If it is a strength issue, I fail to see how putting a bolt into the hole adds any strength. :confused:
Dunno, maybe like angry eyes make a jeep better off road?

Top Back Refresh